Posted to alt.home.repair

Default first-time homebuyer/bathroom ideas

First post here, thanks to those at misc.kids who led me in this
direction. We are in the process of buying a house, and as I idly
ruminate over ideas of Things To Do while awaiting the actions of a
retinue of lawyers and bankers, I'd appreciate the experienced and
knowledgeable input I've been reading here.

First question, regarding ideas for updating the (only) bathroom in a
small early 1950's ranch on a slab foundation in upstate NY. What's
involved in labor and cost should I want to move the toilet 18-24" to
the left or right, and likewise the vanity/sink, perhaps switching their
positions in the layout?

A hall closet takes up about 2 sq ft in one corner of the bathroom. I
could still have 1/2 the closet in the hall as it goes deep to one side
of its door, but could gain a precious 2 sq ft in the small bathroom,
allowing room for a regular size vanity/sink, instead of the small
powder room size in there now, but this would only be possible by moving
the toilet.

Also, any thoughts on removal/replacement of what seems to be some
manner of molded plastic tub and shower surround, likely a 1970's
perpetration (it's harvest gold, for goodness' sake)? Would the Bath
Fitters be a simple/inexpensive solution in this case? I would also like
to install a window, the only outside wall being the long/back wall of
the shower/tub, so a window above the back wall of the shower. Any
problems there?

This bathroom scenario will likely not come to pass for a couple of
years (ugh) but I want to get some ideas of what is or is not possible
both logistically and financially so I can make some plans. It would
also be nice if we could do the bathroom one or two jobs at a time
instead of totally gutting the thing all at once. Maybe I'm dreaming
there...

Thanks for ideas and input,
-Karen-
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dkhedmo" wrote in message

First question, regarding ideas for updating the (only) bathroom in a
small early 1950's ranch on a slab foundation in upstate NY. What's
involved in labor and cost should I want to move the toilet 18-24" to the
left or right, and likewise the vanity/sink, perhaps switching their
positions in the layout?

It will cost a lot. It may entail jackhammering the slab to move drain
pipes. then re-cementing the slab. Would make more sense to buy a different
house. Really.

Also, any thoughts on removal/replacement of what seems to be some manner
of molded plastic tub and shower surround, likely a 1970's perpetration
(it's harvest gold, for goodness' sake)? Would the Bath Fitters be a
simple/inexpensive solution in this case?

I've not heard a lot of good things about bathfiters, but you can do things
along those lines. Check out what is available at the home center and
plumging supply houses. You may be able to do it yourself and save a bundle.

I would also like
to install a window, the only outside wall being the long/back wall of the
shower/tub, so a window above the back wall of the shower. Any problems
there?

While not the best location, it is still better than no window.

Good luck with the new house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 00:10:59 GMT, dkhedmo
wrote:

[...]

No problem. I've rented an electrick jack hammer and taken out slab
before and it goes quite fast and easy. QuickCrete will cover your
mistakes. New tile will cover your quickcrete.

The only potential problem I see is that you have to be aware of the
load bearing walls.

The window gives you an opportunity to remove enough wall to bring in
a shower bath combo of your choice thru the hole you make for the
window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"dkhedmo" wrote in message

First question, regarding ideas for updating the (only) bathroom in a
small early 1950's ranch on a slab foundation in upstate NY. What's
involved in labor and cost should I want to move the toilet 18-24" to the
left or right, and likewise the vanity/sink, perhaps switching their
positions in the layout?

It will cost a lot. It may entail jackhammering the slab to move drain
pipes. then re-cementing the slab. Would make more sense to buy a different
house. Really.

And make sure there is room in the backyard for the PortaPotty
you will need while the bath is tore up...

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dkhedmo" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

If you have enough headroom and don't mind a step up then you can build a
false floor and route plumbing inside of it. for a toilet you need probably
6" total minimum 8" to 10" would be easier to fit the pipes. Can do this
for the whole bathroom or just a strip along the wall.

Ranches aren't known for headroom in the bath. Maybe you can raise the
cieling but relocating rafters is about as much work as relocating a pipe in
a slab.

The sink might not be so hard to move since the supply pipes are in the wall
and the drain can be rerouted above the floor.

Ditch the tub and put in a full sized two person shower with multiple heads.
Better resale value than a combo tub/shower IMO. Moving the shower drain is
as much work as moving the toilet. Work with it.

When I bought my house it was 3 bedrooms and 2 baths now it is 2 bedrooms
and 3 baths. I converted two tiny bedrooms into a master suite. Just made
a whole new bath from scratch. Fortunately I have a crawl space and a
simple 1 story floorplan.