Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solutions to damp

I know I have asked about this before and had loads of advice - much of
which has been followed. But its that time of year again ( was the summer
much better - not?)

My damp problems are flaring up. With them my chest infections. Most is
condensation.
The house is insulated to the rafters, double glazed and I know not what.
I was reading the Scottish government site where there was advice to
householders on damp and how to cure it. Now I don't live in Scotland but
the weather here is similar
Basically they say
a) don't cook
b) dont wash
c) don't have a bath
d) open the windows
e) turn up the heat.
f) don't use modern paints, wallpapers or any other similar covering as it
traps the water and paint the walls with fungicidal paints to get rid of
mould.
g) Get rid of furniture and don't have a lot in the house because it stops
air circulation.

and you will cut the condensation and mould.

Not exactly eco friendly is it? Or is it me?

Screw fix also seem to be offering the same advice/
So basically, is that it? Thats what you have to do? Be dirty, unhygienic,
smelly and have an un decorated house with little or no furniture in it
beyond a bed and a wardrobe ( are you allowed a telly?) - and eat
sandwiches or go down a cafe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 6:21*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
[...]

If the air is humid in your house you will get condensation on cold
surfaces.
So you either tackle the humidity at source (extractor fans,cooker
hoods etc.) or you open the windows. Or desist from humidity creating
activites.

I would see the quack about your infectious chest. It may be
unrelated to humidity. You may have a fungal disease.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Sep 10, 6:21 am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

If the air is humid in your house you will get condensation on cold
surfaces.
So you either tackle the humidity at source (extractor fans,cooker
hoods etc.) or you open the windows. Or desist from humidity creating
activites.

Got all of the above, so basically, as screwfix say its " lifestyle" and as
the Scottish government say its the modern way of living that does not fit
with old houses which need to "breathe"

I am quite aware that there is little or no air movement in my home and that
it is hermetically sealed as a result of all the double glazing and attempts
to draughtproof. keep it warm and cut fuel costs we have had over the last
few years. It wasnt like this 15 years ago , when I would pt the heat
on, we had no loft insulation ( well about 4ins) . Only the Kitchen and
Bathroom were bad then. The bathroom was " cured" when OH fitted a new
bath suite and we got rid of the shower screen and I put a curtain up
instead. The kitchen has an open window almost permenantly and the pantry
door is now always ajar because that seemed to be prone to damp when closed
( probably result of freezer in there)

But it seems after all things being done, its just we breathe too much.
Parden me for living.

I would see the quack about your infectious chest. It may be
unrelated to humidity. You may have a fungal disease.

Thanks. My chest is a result of having had pneumonia, scarring on the
lungs from that ( OH turned the heating down at the time being an " eco
warrior , trying to save the planet and nearly killed me!) . I have a weak
chest and any damp ( and especially mould spores) cause it to get bad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'm sure on every subject you can find fool's advice online.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 06:21:16 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

I know I have asked about this before and had loads of advice - much of
which has been followed. But its that time of year again ( was the summer
much better - not?)

My damp problems are flaring up. With them my chest infections. Most is
condensation.

Get a dehumidifier! They do actually work really well. We have two,
both ancient and rackety. One is a bit past it, but the other will
extract about 4 litres in an 8 hour day. And the little bit of
electricity they use contributes to the warmth of the house.

Got one but OH wont let me use it as he says it costs money to run. So I am
only allowed it when the damp gets really bad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 06:21:16 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

I know I have asked about this before and had loads of advice - much of
which has been followed. But its that time of year again ( was the summer
much better - not?)

My damp problems are flaring up. With them my chest infections. Most is
condensation.

Get a dehumidifier! They do actually work really well. We have two,
both ancient and rackety. One is a bit past it, but the other will
extract about 4 litres in an 8 hour day. And the little bit of
electricity they use contributes to the warmth of the house.

Got one but OH wont let me use it as he says it costs money to run. So I
am only allowed it when the damp gets really bad.

Buy a taser and taser him when he disagrees with what this group tells you
to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Get a weather station. One of those fairly cheap devices which lets you
have one sensor outside. And make sure it can read indoor and outdoor
humidity. Even a cheap one should be accurate enough.

Then make sure you keep an eye on it and open up lots of windows when it
is less humid outdoors - especially when it is not too cool out there.
Being able to see when that is can help to make the right decisions.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 06:21:16 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Got one but OH wont let me use it as he says it costs money to run. So I
am only allowed it when the damp gets really bad.

Buy a taser and taser him when he disagrees with what this group tells you
to do.

I have thought about that.
I often wish he would be ill and stuck in bed ( God forbid) instead of him
just constantly saying it ( he has high blood pressure. According to him
though he dying of heart disease) and I would be able to do as I liked. I
would order new patio doors and get them fitted before he had chance to get
better. (Not really. I wouldn't wish anyone ill)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 08:11:55 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Got one but OH wont let me use it as he says it costs money to run. So I
am
only allowed it when the damp gets really bad.

Tell him that with a drier atmosphere in the house, the CH needn't be
turned up so high, and that the money saved will pay for running the
dehumidifier.

That might work. Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 06:21:16 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

I know I have asked about this before and had loads of advice - much of
which has been followed. But its that time of year again ( was the summer
much better - not?)

My damp problems are flaring up. With them my chest infections. Most is
condensation.

Get a dehumidifier! They do actually work really well. We have two,
both ancient and rackety. One is a bit past it, but the other will
extract about 4 litres in an 8 hour day. And the little bit of
electricity they use contributes to the warmth of the house.

I second that, and add that they are great for drying clothes.
Do you currently leave clothes to dry in the house? that adds a lot of
moisture to the air.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 06:21:16 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

I know I have asked about this before and had loads of advice - much of
which has been followed. But its that time of year again ( was the summer
much better - not?)

My damp problems are flaring up. With them my chest infections. Most is
condensation.

Get a dehumidifier! They do actually work really well. We have two,
both ancient and rackety. One is a bit past it, but the other will
extract about 4 litres in an 8 hour day. And the little bit of
electricity they use contributes to the warmth of the house.

Got one but OH wont let me use it as he says it costs money to run. So I
am only allowed it when the damp gets really bad.

They are a lot cheaper to run than the tumble drier.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2011 09:18, sweetheart wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 08:11:55 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Got one but OH wont let me use it as he says it costs money to run.
So I am
only allowed it when the damp gets really bad.

Tell him that with a drier atmosphere in the house, the CH needn't be
turned up so high, and that the money saved will pay for running the
dehumidifier.

That might work. Thanks

They cost about 4p/hour to run.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 09:16:42 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 08:27:55 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

[...]

IME it's always more humid outdoors, especially at this time of year.

But maybe not the case in Sweetheart's house? :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

No: this is the time of year with no heating on and humid weter outside,
that its most humid inside as well.

Once the outside temp drops and heating comes on internal humidity drops
as well.

The mouldiest place I have ever slept in was in PieterMaritzburg in full
sub tropical summer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 7:37*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

[...]

Don't forget before you can effectively extract air, you have to let
air in as well.
ie your extractor fans may not be working effectively if "replacement"
air can't get in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 10 Sep,
Chris Hogg wrote:

IME it's always more humid outdoors, especially at this time of year.

Humididty isusually higher outdoors, but the dew point is lower, a more
relavent indicator of moisture total in the air.

I'm currently trying to dry out kitchen after a ;ong term flood from
dishwasher. It's not exactly suitable drying weather at the moment, Kitchen
77% humidity with good ventilation. I normally reckon on 50-60% The high
humidity is mainly due to moisture in the air from outdoors.

I suppose it'll take till spring to re-season the floorboards. Is that a
reasonable estimate as SWMBO wants it done yesterday!

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 10 Sep,
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

I am quite aware that there is little or no air movement in my home and
that it is hermetically sealed as a result of all the double glazing and
attempts to draughtproof. keep it warm and cut fuel costs we have had over
the last few years. It wasnt like this 15 years ago , when I would pt
the heat on, we had no loft insulation ( well about 4ins) . Only the
Kitchen and Bathroom were bad then. The bathroom was " cured" when OH
fitted a new bath suite and we got rid of the shower screen and I put a
curtain up instead. The kitchen has an open window almost permenantly
and the pantry door is now always ajar because that seemed to be prone to
damp when closed ( probably result of freezer in there)

Heat recovery ventilation is worth a look. Take care when viewing the cost of
installing, but it will save on not needing to heat ventilation air.

If I win the pools I'll get it fitted.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/11 08:11, sweetheart wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 06:21:16 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

I know I have asked about this before and had loads of advice - much of
which has been followed. But its that time of year again ( was the
summer
much better - not?)

My damp problems are flaring up. With them my chest infections. Most is
condensation.

Get a dehumidifier! They do actually work really well. We have two,
both ancient and rackety. One is a bit past it, but the other will
extract about 4 litres in an 8 hour day. And the little bit of
electricity they use contributes to the warmth of the house.

Got one but OH wont let me use it as he says it costs money to run. So I
am only allowed it when the damp gets really bad.

Considered a new OH? ;-)

Otherwise, work out how much the dehumidifer costs to run. I won't be
that much, and definitely better than poor health. As others have said,
you can either reduce the moisture created, or increase temperature
and/or ventilation in the house, or use the dehumidifier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
[...]

You need 3 things to eradicate damp; heat, insulation and ventilation, if
you have all three then your house can't be damp, unless it's raining in
somewhere, penetrating from outside or you have a leak

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
sweetheart wrote:

You need 3 things to eradicate damp; heat, insulation and ventilation, if
you have all three then your house can't be damp, unless it's raining in
somewhere, penetrating from outside or you have a leak

I would say both heat and ventilation are thin on the ground in my home.
There are few vents - not we do not have trickle vents on the windows. They
are double glazed so I don't know why.

I don't open doors or windows unless I have to because its cold.

OH will not allow heating ( he says it costs too much and it isn't winter
yet).

I don't exactly do very much more than breathe in and out but still we have
condensation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
sweetheart wrote:

You need 3 things to eradicate damp; heat, insulation and ventilation, if
you have all three then your house can't be damp, unless it's raining in
somewhere, penetrating from outside or you have a leak

I do know that putting the heating on solves the problem - or at least it
did when I was able to put the heating on before OH got a bee in his bonnet
about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

OH will not allow heating ( he says it costs too much and it isn't
winter yet).

You have previously mentioned sums of inherited money, can't you come to
an arrangement with OH that you'll put the heating on as and when you
see fit, and that you'll pay for it ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

I don't exactly do very much more than breathe in and out but still
we have condensation.

I have a solution.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
sweetheart wrote:

You need 3 things to eradicate damp; heat, insulation and
ventilation, if you have all three then your house can't be damp,
unless it's raining in somewhere, penetrating from outside or you
have a leak

I do know that putting the heating on solves the problem - or at
least it did when I was able to put the heating on before OH got a
bee in his bonnet about it.

That's easily solved, just tell him that if he likes it cold he can live in
the back yard, you need the heat on because it's affecting your health and
if he doesn't like it, he's perfectly entitled to lump it.
Put the heat on whenever you like, if he turns it off, turn it back on
again, and keep doing his until he gets used to it, and if he's still being
stubborn, give him a platefull of raw bacon, unpeeled poatoes and frozen
peas and tell him you're not cooking it because it costs too much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

h) Don't live in a house under the bridge.....

They are noted for damp. It's the river that causes it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

I don't exactly do very much more than breathe in and out but still
we have condensation.

I have a solution.

choke

Made me spill me tea there Adam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Terry Fields" wrote in message

Saving the planet by causing
you injury or death is a perverted logic.

I rather suspect that many here wouldn't find it too perverted...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
sweetheart wrote:

OH will not allow heating ( he says it costs too much and it isn't
winter yet).

You have previously mentioned sums of inherited money, can't you come to
an arrangement with OH that you'll put the heating on as and when you see
fit, and that you'll pay for it ...

I have tried that but he is a difficult man to argue with - unless you want
to hear about it for the next forty years daily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

I know I have asked about this before and had loads of advice - much of
which has been followed. But its that time of year again ( was the summer
much better - not?)

My damp problems are flaring up. With them my chest infections. Most is
condensation.
The house is insulated to the rafters, double glazed and I know not what.

Just a little up that way ^ you mention spending £2k on patio and
French doors.

No, not I am. I am TRYING to spend 2K on Patio and french doors. OH is
trying to buy Wicks ones and fit them for himself at half that.

These can be insulated at far less cost with heavy curtains, thermal
linings and draught excluders. Ours was as efficient as the patio
door, as measured by sensors placed behind the curtains.

In the case of the patio doors it isnt about damp or draught its about them
having broken. Patio door does not slide and if you were to try and open it
it would fall out. French Windows are rotting at the base and letting in
water.

They , like the rest of the house were fitted with all sorts of draught
excluders and seals to stop the wind getting in.

I do have some of Mostyns best very expensive thermal lined heavy 90" x 90"
curtains in my sitting room ( where these windows are). When it comes to my
soft furnishings and such OH has less to say ( although he did try when I
got a second hand charity shop glass cabinet for my aunts porcelain
collection)

This should leave you £1800 to play with.

Its not an actual lack of money so much as a perception fueled by the TV and
newspapers he reads that keep saying everyone is broke, everyone has to cut
back, everyone has to save the bloody planet and do their but for this ( so
called human mane) global warming.

He is trying to do everything thery say and thinks everything applies to him
and me personally.

That, and a bit of pride. He doesnt want to admit his DIY skills are not up
to the windows and we need someone in and that we need to accept a solution
for the damp in winter ( it goes away when it is dry and the sun shines)

I do have a de humidifier and I have put one of the heaters on ( and I did
change electricity suppliers so we can afford it anyway) It waits to be
seen how long it takes for him to notice.

I do think at least part of the problem is lack of natural ventilation (
having read everything everyone has said about what causes the condensation
and the damp etc.) but I don't know how to cure that without the house
getting cold (opening windows)

Thanks for al the advice I will see what I can implement in the next few
days/ weeks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Sep, 19:11, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message

sweetheart wrote:

You need 3 things to eradicate damp; heat, insulation and ventilation, if
you have all three then your house can't be damp, unless it's raining in
somewhere, penetrating from outside or you have a leak

*I do know that putting the heating on solves the problem - or at least it
did when I was able to put the heating on *before OH got a bee in his bonnet
about it.

You've heard it all.

IME damp air migrates to the north side of the house. This is where
you need to permit ventilation, though curing the problem at source
(i.e.) Kitchen, bathroom, with effective extraction is the best place
to start. Those weedy over hob extractor hoods are next to useless,
especially when combined with a long length of flexible pipe. Get a
decent extractor fan

The dehumidifier is also an excellent solution and actually provides
heat to the room in which it is running. We keep one running
constantly during daylight hours in a boat during the winter months
and it has proved perfect at keeping damp and mould at bay. Much
better, and considerably cheaper, than the heater we used to leave
turned on.

Its going to cost money to solve your problem, or a divorce.

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message

IME damp air migrates to the north side of the house. This is where
you need to permit ventilation, though curing the problem at source
(i.e.) Kitchen, bathroom, with effective extraction is the best place
to start. Those weedy over hob extractor hoods are next to useless,
especially when combined with a long length of flexible pipe. Get a
decent extractor fan

Thats an interesting point. I didnt actually know that but it makes sense.
In my house the kitchen is on the North side ( and the door faces directly
north.) and it is the room with the worst problem. The door actually seeps
wet in winter ( not so bad right now but still condensation in a morning.
The other room that seems to suffer is my study which doubles as an unused
bedroom and thats NE facing and has two external walls on the "weather
corner".

Since I am in study most often and OH isnt, he disputes the need to heat it
and so it gets badly damp.

The bedroom ( main one that is) has less of a problem but it still gets
some mustiness , so must be damp somewhere.although I cant find it. I spend
a lot of time cleaning that room and airing it.

The dining room and sitting room ( west and South facing) are almost without
any damp/condensation issues . Since I had a new bathroom I seem to have
"cured" the problems there. Or they cured themselves. I took out a shower
screen ( full width of bath and put in a shower curtain and now the steam
and such doesnt hang . )

Much
better, and considerably cheaper, than the heater we used to leave
turned on.

How much do you reckon that costs? OH may be giving false figures.

Paul Mc Cann

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Terry Fields
scribeth thus

sweetheart wrote:

I do think at least part of the problem is lack of natural ventilation (
having read everything everyone has said about what causes the condensation
and the damp etc.) but I don't know how to cure that without the house
getting cold (opening windows)

Thanks for al the advice I will see what I can implement in the next few
days/ weeks

Just a thought: have you considered jetting off to Spain for the
winter so that you can recover? it could save your OH a fortune in not
heating the place, the cost of your food, etc, and he can botch away
to his hearts content while you sip a nice glass of wine and sit in
the warm sun.

Yeabut Terry what about the depression that sets in when U come back?.
My French born missus had a couple of weeks in the sarff of France and
has been in a right strop about the poxy "English weather" ever
since;(...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

IME damp air migrates to the north side of the house.

Or warm air migrates to cold areas, which is normally the north aspect.

If the OP wants to experience damp, try Whitby in North Yorks, where
there's no such thing as warm air, and fire doors in the hotels prevent
ventilation. A far cry from her neck of the woods where things have a
chance to dry out now and again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 12:00:19 +0100, Terry Fields
wrote:

IMHO there can
only be a radical outcome here, and it's going to be very upsetting.

Run off with a double glazing/insulation salesman?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2011 16:31, Chris Bartram wrote:
Otherwise, work out how much the dehumidifer costs to run. I won't be
that much, and definitely better than poor health. As others have said,
you can either reduce the moisture created, or increase temperature
and/or ventilation in the house, or use the dehumidifier.

Then offset the cost against the saving in prescription charges?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote:
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

I don't exactly do very much more than breathe in and out but still
we have condensation.

I have a solution.

choke

I am choking more at the suggestion of a dehumidifier.

Remove the cause and do not try to hide the symptom.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote:
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

I don't exactly do very much more than breathe in and out but still
we have condensation.

I have a solution.

choke

I am choking more at the suggestion of a dehumidifier.

Remove the cause and do not try to hide the symptom.

Indeed. We had a similar problem with two rooms in Italy. The solutions
was to cover the outside wall with Delta membrane and lay a French
drain. Cost about £1000. It turned two useless rooms into dry,
comfortable living rooms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

(d) is the best answer in my view. In slightly older well-insulated
houses there is often very little air circulation of air to the
outside. Building regs now require 5000 sqmm of fixed (non-
closable) ventilation in each habitable room in order to combat
condensation.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 8:27*am, polygonum wrote:
[...]

careful: IIRC those things measure the "relative humidity" - the % of
saturation (and saturation density depends on temperature). You
need to know the interior and exterior water density if you want to
decide whether to swap outside air for inside air. Almost always the
outside density is lower so it walys helps to open the windows,

Robert