Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default night latch for outward-opening door?

I need a cheapish night latch for an outward opening door.

Will I need a special (longer) strike plate?

I'm a bit confused because a few latches

(such as this one:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/P..._Security/Nigh
t_Latches/855/Traditional_Nightlatch/162742 )

are described as suitable for outward-opening doors, but nothing is said
about the different strike plate that is (sometimes?) required. Will the
same strike plate be OK regardless of whether the door opens inwards or
outwards?

All the ones I could find at B&Q were stated to be suitable for inward-
opening doors only. But maybe I could just turn the latch around anyway?

Matthew Sholy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/P...es_and_Securit...
t_Latches/855/Traditional_Nightlatch/162742 )

are described as suitable for outward-opening doors, but nothing is said
about the different strike plate that is (sometimes?) required. Will the
same strike plate be OK regardless of whether the door opens inwards or
outwards?

All the ones I could find at B&Q were stated to be suitable for inward-
opening doors only. But maybe I could just turn the latch around anyway?

Matthew Sholy

The tongue in the lock can be reversed in most designs for outward
opening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2011 17:24, Matthew Sholy wrote:
I need a cheapish night latch for an outward opening door.

Will I need a special (longer) strike plate?

I'm a bit confused because a few latches

(such as this one:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/P..._Security/Nigh
t_Latches/855/Traditional_Nightlatch/162742 )

are described as suitable for outward-opening doors, but nothing is said
about the different strike plate that is (sometimes?) required. Will the
same strike plate be OK regardless of whether the door opens inwards or
outwards?

All the ones I could find at B&Q were stated to be suitable for inward-
opening doors only. But maybe I could just turn the latch around anyway?

Matthew Sholy

Unless you can lock the bolt, night latches on outward opening doors can
easily be slipped with a knife blade. That was usually the way I opened
a door with a code operated release on the striker plate, where, 'for
security', the code was changed weekly, but you had to go up two flights
of stairs to get issued with the new code.

Colin Bignell