Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting Brick LIghts

Following up on recent pots.
I have a reasonably large number of your 'Brick lights' to fit ...
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLBRICK.html

The light is is 3 parts ... main casting (with gasket)
Front glass
Front Louvre.

When fitting ... a very simple question arises .... should they be fitted so
that the casting is flush with front edge of brickwork (opt A in sketch)

This would mean that as glass is about 6mm thick ... the front Louvre would
then be spaced away from the wall.

Or should they be fitted so that the front of glass is flush with front edge
of brickwork (opt B)

This would allow Louvre to be flat against brickwork, but runs risk of
Louvre 'tightening up against brick work & not the glass ... and thus gasket
would not seal .

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/x...BrickLight.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:
[...]

Yours may be different from mine, but with mine, the casting has to
be slightly proud of the brickwork or when you screw the retaining
frame on, it will foul the surrounding brickwork before it creates
any pressure on the gasket.

Also, I would suggest cutting a couple of small sections out of the
gasket at the bottom two corners, to act as a condensate drain, unless
your bricklamp already has some provision for this.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

Good timing. I have to wire a load of them up in the morning that the
customer has fitted and I'll see what he has done.

I'll take some pictures if I remember the camera....

ISTR lots of expanding foam when I was there earlier.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

For that light, the bevelled edge on the louvred front suggests option
A, body flush, louvre proud. If you fully flush fit then you will have
problems of where to mortar up to and how you will remove the front for
lamp replacement.

Fully flush may be a better look but I don't think that fitting supports
it.
--
fred