Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default buzzing noise from elec clock

I use a cheapo electric alarm clock/radio, I also have a touch type
bedlight. Both require to be plugged into an extension as too far from
socket.
When both are plugged in the alarm gives a low annoying buzz, but stops if I
unplug the lamp.
Any ideas on how to stop the buzzing.
thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
I use a cheapo electric alarm clock/radio, I also have a touch type
bedlight. Both require to be plugged into an extension as too far from
socket.
When both are plugged in the alarm gives a low annoying buzz, but stops if I
unplug the lamp.
Any ideas on how to stop the buzzing.
thanks

First try running the lamp via a second extension lead, and if that
doesn't help, try moving the lamp about the same distance again away
from the radio.

It seems the electronics in the lamp are transmitting interference
either along the cable or through free space.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:22:49 +0100, "SS"
wrote:

I use a cheapo electric alarm clock/radio, I also have a touch type
bedlight. Both require to be plugged into an extension as too far from
socket.
When both are plugged in the alarm gives a low annoying buzz, but stops if I
unplug the lamp.
Any ideas on how to stop the buzzing.
thanks

Err - unplug the lamp.

HTH -
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

SS wrote:

I use a cheapo electric alarm clock/radio, I also have a touch type
bedlight. When both are plugged in the alarm gives a low annoying
buzz

It seems the electronics in the lamp are transmitting interference
either along the cable or through free space.

It's not unknown for the radio's aerial to be within the mains flex
where the earth conductor isn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I use a cheapo electric alarm clock/radio, I also have a touch type
bedlight. Both require to be plugged into an extension as too far from
socket.
When both are plugged in the alarm gives a low annoying buzz, but stops if
unplug the lamp.
Any ideas on how to stop the buzzing.
thanks

Err - unplug the lamp.

HTH -
--
Frank Erskine

Maybe I should have mentioned I want to keep both plugged in. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I use a cheapo electric alarm clock/radio, I also have a touch type
bedlight. Both require to be plugged into an extension as too far from
socket.
When both are plugged in the alarm gives a low annoying buzz, but stops if
unplug the lamp.
Any ideas on how to stop the buzzing.
thanks

Err - unplug the lamp.

HTH -
--
Frank Erskine

Maybe I should have mentioned I want to keep both plugged in. :-)

Try moving them apart. This will show if it's RF or mains borne
interference.

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 19:32, charles wrote:
I have one of those lights right beside my DAB bedside radio. No problem.

Finally a good word for DAB!

Seriously I'm not surprised. It must surely be designed to reject a
little mains hum.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
On 31/08/2011 19:32, charles wrote:
I have one of those lights right beside my DAB bedside radio. No
problem.

Finally a good word for DAB!

Seriously I'm not surprised. It must surely be designed to reject a
little mains hum.

It won't be a little mains hum. It could be nastly spikes caused by the
dimmer, albeit a mains frequency.

Andy

--
From KT24