Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buzzing noise from switch

Hello,

I just changed a 60W incandescent bulb for a 27W (100W equivalent) CFL
bulb in one of the rooms in my house. The light is controlled via two
three-way switches, one at either end of the room. When one of the
switches is in the "up" position, and the light is on, the switch
itself makes a buzzing noise.

Any pointers? I was going to take the switch out and make sure all
the wires were connected properly.

Thanks!
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If it's a switch, it shouldn't buzz or crackle. Replace it. If it's a
dimmer, replace it with a switch

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I just changed a 60W incandescent bulb for a 27W (100W equivalent) CFL
bulb in one of the rooms in my house. The light is controlled via two
three-way switches, one at either end of the room. When one of the
switches is in the "up" position, and the light is on, the switch
itself makes a buzzing noise.

Any pointers? I was going to take the switch out and make sure all
the wires were connected properly.

Thanks!
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I'm not mistaken, there are specific dimmers for flourescent lighting.
Some dimmers tell you not to use them on flourescents. Take the bulb out
immediately and investigate the dimmer to see if it is rated for
flourescent. My guess is that it isn't although I have heard dimmers buzz a
little when you dim down.

good luck

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I just changed a 60W incandescent bulb for a 27W (100W equivalent) CFL
bulb in one of the rooms in my house. The light is controlled via two
three-way switches, one at either end of the room. When one of the
switches is in the "up" position, and the light is on, the switch
itself makes a buzzing noise.

Any pointers? I was going to take the switch out and make sure all
the wires were connected properly.

Thanks!
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's not a dimmer switch, just a regular 3-way switch. And the
buzzing only happens when the switch is up and the light is on. If
the switch down and the light is on (by toggling the second switch in
the room), then there is no sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello,

I just changed a 60W incandescent bulb for a 27W (100W equivalent) CFL
bulb in one of the rooms in my house. The light is controlled via two
three-way switches, one at either end of the room. When one of the
switches is in the "up" position, and the light is on, the switch
itself makes a buzzing noise.

Any pointers? I was going to take the switch out and make sure all
the wires were connected properly.

Thanks!
Chris

" wrote in message
ups.com...
It's not a dimmer switch, just a regular 3-way switch. And the
buzzing only happens when the switch is up and the light is on. If
the switch down and the light is on (by toggling the second switch in
the room), then there is no sound.

It may only be a loose connection or a bad terminal on one of the travelers.
I would change the switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the tips everyone. Looks like it is indeed the switch, so
I'll have to go bug the builder to come and replace it.

Thanks!
Chris