Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scaffolding to replace fascias - advice needed

I need to replace the fascia boards on my house, and this will mean
removing the lowest row of tiles, to replace some perished felt and
suchlike. I have come to the conclusion that I really need a scaffold
erected for this job.

I'm the kind of bloke who likes to take his time doing a job like this; not
the least because, at my age, I don't have the energy or agility to polish
the job off in a single day. Knowing me, it'll probably be more like a
week's work.

Has anyone paid a scaffolding company to erect scaffolding around a 3-bed
semi for a week rcently? How much did it cost?

I suppose another option would be to BUY some scaffolding and then sell it
afterwards!

There is about ten meters of facia on each side of the house that needs
replacing. Half of the job is accessible be one of those lorries with a
pneumatic lift thingie, but only half of the house, so hiring one of those
is not really an option.

Another option would be to bite the bullet ant pay a local builder to do
the job, but I can't really afford that, unless I could find one who'd do
the whole job for £500 all-in (highly unlikely in this day and age, I
imagine). I've worked out that the materials required should cost approx
£275.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice?

Many thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in
:

I imagine). I've worked out that the materials required
should cost approx £275.

PS, the £275 includes new guttering and downpipes which are also needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 30, 7:56*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
"AL_n" wrote :

I imagine). I've worked out that the materials required
should cost approx £275.

PS, the £275 includes new guttering and downpipes which are also needed..

You would be better off having a scaffolding firm erect the
scaffolding, Its not the lightest material to handle and to try to
erect it your self unless you’ve had some experience and get it
stable, is a no no. Usually the scaffold is on hire for 4 weeks and
10% of the cost per week after the 4 weeks. A rough estimate would be
about £350 for 4 weeks hire. This may varies depending what area you
live.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
[...]

The scaffold companies that I have dealt with in the past [1] usually
erected the stuff and included a two week 'rental' in the initial charge
and - then charge 'by the week' after the initial period.

Contact a few local companies, tell them exactly what you want (and for how
long) and they should tailor a price to suit you - you *may* even be
pleasantly surprised!

[1] On a business basis rather than as a single, 'private' individual
though.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Aug 2011 18:54:43 GMT, AL_n wrote:

Has anyone paid a scaffolding company to erect scaffolding around a
3-bed semi for a week rcently? How much did it cost?

It's *well* worth the money.

I've got a single riser at first floor window level over a porch and
about 5m long. Two risers again over a porch about 11m long and
another two riser section nearer 15m long. This is costing me £860 +
VAT for erection, dismantling and 4 weeks hire. Additional weeks are
£34 + VAT.

So for some what less scaffolding the price given by someone else is
certainly ball park, though my additional weeks are less than 5%.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"AL_n" writes:
I need to replace the fascia boards on my house, and this will mean
removing the lowest row of tiles, to replace some perished felt and
suchlike. I have come to the conclusion that I really need a scaffold
erected for this job.

So did I, although I needed to strip and replace part of the roof too.
It made the job very much easier.

Later when I did another part of the house, facias and felt support
trays, I got scaffolding again - no brainer.

I'm the kind of bloke who likes to take his time doing a job like this; not
the least because, at my age, I don't have the energy or agility to polish
the job off in a single day. Knowing me, it'll probably be more like a
week's work.

Has anyone paid a scaffolding company to erect scaffolding around a 3-bed
semi for a week rcently? How much did it cost?

It was £320 IIRC for one 5m long wall, and on a different occation,
£420 for what amounted to two adjacent walls but with a double dog-
leg. I would guess it probably works out at approx £300 for first
wall and £100 for each extra joined wall. I believe London can
cost more.

Price is for a month. It tends to be 5-10% extra for each week beyond
that, although I was never charged extra - probably need to get to a
couple of months before they start bothering. Disassembly tends to be
when they can fit it in IME.

I suppose another option would be to BUY some scaffolding and then sell it
afterwards!

There is about ten meters of facia on each side of the house that needs
replacing. Half of the job is accessible be one of those lorries with a
pneumatic lift thingie, but only half of the house, so hiring one of those

Cherry picker.

is not really an option.

Another option would be to bite the bullet ant pay a local builder to do
the job, but I can't really afford that, unless I could find one who'd do
the whole job for £500 all-in (highly unlikely in this day and age, I
imagine). I've worked out that the materials required should cost approx
£275.

If you're going to this effort, do gutters, felt support trays,
ventilation, and anything else you can whilst you're up there too.
I got them to put a lift (scaffolding term for working platform) at
height to paint upstairs windows too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AL_n
wrote

I suppose another option would be to BUY some scaffolding and then sell it
afterwards!

But would you still want someone to erect it safely? Factor in perhaps
a weeks worth of labour.

When I had my roof replaced on a terrace house it took a 4 man team 28
man hours to erect and a three man team 18 man hours to pull down the
scaffolding (this excludes any travelling time and loading the lorry at
the yard) .

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2011 22:32, Alan wrote:
In message , AL_n
wrote

I suppose another option would be to BUY some scaffolding and then
sell it
afterwards!

But would you still want someone to erect it safely? Factor in perhaps a
weeks worth of labour.

When I had my roof replaced on a terrace house it took a 4 man team 28
man hours to erect and a three man team 18 man hours to pull down the
scaffolding (this excludes any travelling time and loading the lorry at
the yard) .

I wouldn't buy scaffolding; what I did was to buy a second hand alloy
tower off eBay for about £600. Will sell it on when I've finished. Very
much easier to erect than a steel tower. I can just about put it up on
my own (62 and creaky).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2011 19:54, AL_n wrote:
[...]

Purchase (and resell if you want) or hire a scaffold tower? A bit more
effort than proper scaffolding, but probably cheaper.

Some scaffolding companies don't charge for the elapsed time anyway -
just the erection and removal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 30 Aug,
"AL_n" wrote:

I need to replace the fascia boards on my house, and this will mean
removing the lowest row of tiles, to replace some perished felt and
suchlike. I have come to the conclusion that I really need a scaffold
erected for this job.

I'm the kind of bloke who likes to take his time doing a job like this; not
the least because, at my age, I don't have the energy or agility to polish
the job off in a single day. Knowing me, it'll probably be more like a
week's work.

Took me 3 weeks for nearly half the house, a month for the next quarter (not
using scaffolding), and curing a leak higher up the roof too. I've teh rest
to do next year, I'll get scaffolding.

Has anyone paid a scaffolding company to erect scaffolding around a 3-bed
semi for a week rcently? How much did it cost?

A year ago it cost me £240 for 2 lift scaffolding for about a 12 metre run.
This was for erection and removal, Time wasn't charged, but probably would
have if the job had been months rather than weeks.

I suppose another option would be to BUY some scaffolding and then sell it
afterwards!

Transport is the problem there. finding a local seller and buyer.

There is about ten meters of facia on each side of the house that needs
replacing. Half of the job is accessible be one of those lorries with a
pneumatic lift thingie, but only half of the house, so hiring one of those
is not really an option.

Another option would be to bite the bullet ant pay a local builder to do
the job, but I can't really afford that, unless I could find one who'd do
the whole job for £500 all-in (highly unlikely in this day and age, I
imagine). I've worked out that the materials required should cost approx
£275.

I had quote for 1250, but from what I've seen done locally that would not
have included any remedial work on the roof, and just cladding the existing.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice?

Get scaffolding. You do a much better job much easier. Ths bit I did above a
lower roof on home constructed staging was ok, but off a ladder it is
possible to do a cover up job and not much more.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2011 19:54, AL_n wrote:
I need to replace the fascia boards on my house, and this will mean
removing the lowest row of tiles, to replace some perished felt and
suchlike. I have come to the conclusion that I really need a scaffold
erected for this job.

I'm the kind of bloke who likes to take his time doing a job like this; not
the least because, at my age, I don't have the energy or agility to polish
the job off in a single day. Knowing me, it'll probably be more like a
week's work.

Has anyone paid a scaffolding company to erect scaffolding around a 3-bed
semi for a week rcently? How much did it cost?

When I last had scaffolding erected, too long ago for the price to mean
anything, the minimum charge included one month's hire. Most of the cost
is in the labour and the scaffold company owner told me that there
wouldn't be enough difference between one week's hire and one month's
hire to justify having different charges.

I suppose another option would be to BUY some scaffolding and then sell it
afterwards!...

Only if you have the skill and knowledge of how to put it up safely.
Inexpertly erected scaffolding is very dangerous.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.vulgare.net/bamboo-scaffolding-cambodia/

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone for the input. It sounds like having a regular scaffold
erected will push the cost of the job way above what I can afford, even if
I do all the remedial work myself. So it looks like I have two choices:

1) Clad over the rotting fascias, working from a ladder, and hope that the
rot doesn't spread beyond the fascias and cause any big headaches. I only
need the roof to last another 25 years. After that I'll be pushing daisies,
and won't give a hoot...

OR

2) Leave things as they are for another Winter, and hope that the "stitch
in time saves nine" theory doesn't apply in this case, and hope that later
I'll have more money available and/or can find a helpful local who can loan
me some scaffolding on the cheap. If it's only "a stitch in time saves 1.2
stitches", I'll happily shelve the problem till next Summer.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean Heighington wrote in
-sep
tember.org:

http://www.vulgare.net/bamboo-scaffolding-cambodia/

I think I can remember the day when timber was commonly used for
scaffolding in the UK, so, I suppose it's still an option.

I'd have to get pretty desparate to resort to bamboo though, LOL.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Only if you have the skill and knowledge of how to put it up safely.
Inexpertly erected scaffolding is very dangerous.

It is indeed. In a TV studio, 'staff' put up all the scenery. But if
scaffolding is required as well, an outside contractor does it. Could be
to do with insurance, in this case.

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/11 10:39, AL_n wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the input. It sounds like having a regular scaffold
erected will push the cost of the job way above what I can afford, even if
I do all the remedial work myself. So it looks like I have two choices:

1) Clad over the rotting fascias, working from a ladder, and hope that the
rot doesn't spread beyond the fascias and cause any big headaches. I only
need the roof to last another 25 years. After that I'll be pushing daisies,
and won't give a hoot...

unless you over-reach and fall off the ladder...
get scaffold!

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

On 31 Aug 2011 09:39:09 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

[...]

You don't mention buying a tower. I bought a cheap (£150) set about 15
years ago and still make use of it. I cannot find any similar sets
using Google but a more modern version is he

http://www.amazon.co.uk/7m-DIY-Alumi.../dp/B001O38Q30

it looks bulkier than mine. With additional searching or checking
local newspaper sales ad's I believe you can buy one at a lot less
than this price.

I can dis-assemble my tower and store along one side of the garage.

km
Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 09:16:06 +0100, km wrote:

[...]

Another point to remember - I bought wooden planking from a
reclaim/cheapo site nearby and cut the lengths to size for working my
way up the tower from inside the frame, using a couple of planks to
make the top platform. Factor those purchases in.

km
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hire scaffolding, towers wobble and decent outriggers are very
important for stability, you may need to go back & forth which is very
tedious with a tower. The addons with towers soon add up and decent
BOSS cost a lot.

If you are staying in the house, particularly for retirement...
Expect to do more than the bottom row of tiles to get a good underlap
of felt. The eaves protectors are a good idea.

Incidentally if you find you need roof work doing like a slipped tile/
slate, or lead, or chimney pot, or chimney pot rain cover, you can
always ask a roofer to call and do that since scaffolding is already
in place. You may want to check ridge tiles and such like, the past
two winters were not charitable to ridge tile pointing at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 13:01:32 -0700 (PDT), "js.b1"
wrote:

Hire scaffolding, towers wobble and decent outriggers are very
important for stability, you may need to go back & forth which is very
tedious with a tower.

Overcome by simply drilling holes in wall to take hooks for rope
fixing. Completely stable.

Moving was simple for me as I placed sheets of laminate under each
foot and slid the tower along to next position so no need to dismantle
for each move. Accept that this may not be applicable if terrain is
uneven. Having said that I moved over uneven garden as well as
driveway and just packed wood or more laminate to keep level.

km

Junior Member

Location: Australia

I am agree with you scaffold an are very use full and available on cheap rates also .