Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mispronounced DIY terminology

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest.
If only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation clangers ?
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest.
If only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have
no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

I have heard "ceiling" pronounced as "skeeling", by a roofing company rep.

Conduit prondounced "condoot" by a sparky.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:57:08 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

sm_jamieson wrote:

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If only
I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no
more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

I have heard "ceiling" pronounced as "skeeling", by a roofing company
rep.

Conduit prondounced "condoot" by a sparky.

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Blimey -- I've seen that so many times, I always assumed that it was a
technical building term what I, a mere punter, didn't know about (even
though I knew it was referring to the things I always referred to as
"sills").

A bit like the use of "x off" (as in "oakwood cills 2 off") (or even "2
of", which I've seen recently), instead of "2 oakwood sills". I presume
that that usage originated in the factories / smithies / joineries,
where the tradesman was given an order for 'x' number of widgets off his
lathe (or whatever), and that it spread from there to the warehouses.
(or is it "off the shelf"? Nah - that wouldn't make sense.)

Sigh: You can tell it's pouring down outside, can't you :-)

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another John" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Blimey -- I've seen that so many times, I always assumed that it was a
technical building term what I, a mere punter, didn't know about (even
though I knew it was referring to the things I always referred to as
"sills").

A bit like the use of "x off" (as in "oakwood cills 2 off") (or even "2
of", which I've seen recently), instead of "2 oakwood sills". I presume
that that usage originated in the factories / smithies / joineries,
where the tradesman was given an order for 'x' number of widgets off his
lathe (or whatever), and that it spread from there to the warehouses.
(or is it "off the shelf"? Nah - that wouldn't make sense.)

Sigh: You can tell it's pouring down outside, can't you :-)

John

A bit off topic-
I used to be in fire protection. I had a sign written van.
Two people walked past my van, one said to the other "Fire protection, how
do you protect a fire"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 17:56:40 +0100, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

Sigh: You can tell it's pouring down outside, can't you :-)

John

A bit off topic-
I used to be in fire protection. I had a sign written van.
Two people walked past my van, one said to the other "Fire protection, how
do you protect a fire"?

You allocate it a Fire guard of course.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

A reasonable comment/question.
At w**k, many years ago, a rep. came in and asked if we were interested in
fire protection. He just didn't get it when I said no, but if he had ways of
destroying fires we'd like to know.
Same with an 'explosion-proof' motor - I wanted one that wouldn't spark an
explosion and didn't care what happened to the motor.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Blimey -- I've seen that so many times, I always assumed that it was a
technical building term what I, a mere punter, didn't know about (even
though I knew it was referring to the things I always referred to as
"sills").

I just assumed that it was one of those either/or alternatives such as
jail/gaol

On checking, I see that it isn't

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Blimey -- I've seen that so many times, I always assumed that it was a
technical building term what I, a mere punter, didn't know about (even
though I knew it was referring to the things I always referred to as
"sills").

It is. The original spelling is cill, but sill is an allowable excursion.

A bit like the use of "x off" (as in "oakwood cills 2 off") (or even "2
of", which I've seen recently), instead of "2 oakwood sills". I presume
that that usage originated in the factories / smithies / joineries,
where the tradesman was given an order for 'x' number of widgets off his
lathe (or whatever), and that it spread from there to the warehouses.
(or is it "off the shelf"? Nah - that wouldn't make sense.)

Sigh: You can tell it's pouring down outside, can't you :-)

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Blimey -- I've seen that so many times, I always assumed that it was a
technical building term what I, a mere punter, didn't know about (even
though I knew it was referring to the things I always referred to as
"sills").

It is. The original spelling is cill, but sill is an allowable excursion.

Certainly when I went on a narrow-boating holiday thirty years ago, the
books referred to the stone ledge in the bottom of a lock as the cill.

I've also had a quick google and it appears that it may also these days
be a building trade specific variant.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2011 17:35, Another John wrote:

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Blimey -- I've seen that so many times, I always assumed that it was a
technical building term what I, a mere punter, didn't know about (even
though I knew it was referring to the things I always referred to as
"sills").

According to Collins Dictionary cill is a variant spelling used by the
construction industry.

A bit like the use of "x off" (as in "oakwood cills 2 off") (or even "2
of", which I've seen recently), instead of "2 oakwood sills". I presume
that that usage originated in the factories / smithies / joineries,
where the tradesman was given an order for 'x' number of widgets off his
lathe (or whatever), and that it spread from there to the warehouses.
(or is it "off the shelf"? Nah - that wouldn't make sense.)

'x off' was traditional engineering practice (or should that be
practise?) when I was a student apprentice back in the early 60s. I am
sure there would have been a very good reason for it but all I can think
of now is to avoid confusion say between twenty to and twenty two.

Sigh: You can tell it's pouring down outside, can't you :-)

It wasn't here. :-)

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 26, 5:35*pm, Another John wrote:
In article ,
*Bob Eager wrote:

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Blimey -- I've seen that so many times, I always assumed that it was a
technical building term what I, a mere punter, didn't know about (even
though I knew it was referring to the things I always referred to as
"sills"). *

A bit like the use of "x off" (as in "oakwood cills 2 off") (or even "2
of", which I've seen recently), instead of "2 oakwood sills". *I presume
that that usage originated in the factories / smithies / joineries,
where the tradesman was given an order for 'x' number of widgets off his
lathe (or whatever), and that it spread from there to the warehouses. *
(or is it "off the shelf"? *Nah - that wouldn't make sense.)

Someone once explained to me that it derives from manufacturing
something from a specification or drawing - "2 off (that drawing/
specification)".

But I've never been convinced. To me, it makes sense to ask for "2 of
those widgets" or even "widgets, 2 of".

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I assumed it was like "2 off the production line". We have the verb "to print off" which could be similar. Also, gleaned from a web search, we have the expression "one-off" to mean something unique.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 26, 5:12*pm, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:57:08 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

both are correct

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If
only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd
have no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY
pronouncation clangers ? Simon.

I have heard "ceiling" pronounced as "skeeling", by a roofing company
rep.

Conduit prondounced "condoot" by a sparky.

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Quick Google (because I've seen it spelled both ways!):

cill

A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture | 2000 | JAMES
STEVENS CURL | 547 words | © A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape
Architecture 2000, originally published by Oxford University Press 2000.
(Hide copyright information) Copyright
cill, or sill, sole, sule.

1. Horizontal timber (usually called a cill-beam, ground-cill, or sole-piece
or -plate) at the bottom of a timber-framed wall into which posts and studs
are tenoned. A cill-wall is a low wall of brick or stone supporting the
cill-beam. In timber-framed construction, an interrupted cill runs between
main posts and is tenoned into them.

2. Lower horizontal projecting element below an aperture (e.g. doorway or
window), to throw water off the wall below.

3. Lower horizontal member of a door-or window-frame.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If only
I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no
more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

I have heard "ceiling" pronounced as "skeeling", by a roofing company
rep.

Conduit prondounced "condoot" by a sparky.

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

For some reason, 'cill' is standard for canal locks (at least in some
areas).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If only
I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no
more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

I have heard "ceiling" pronounced as "skeeling", by a roofing company
rep.

Conduit prondounced "condoot" by a sparky.

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Both allowable spellings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If only
I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no
more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.
I have heard "ceiling" pronounced as "skeeling", by a roofing company
rep.

Conduit prondounced "condoot" by a sparky.

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Both allowable spellings.

Yup, I think I've always used cill.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If only
I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no
more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

I have heard "ceiling" pronounced as "skeeling", by a roofing company
rep.

Conduit prondounced "condoot" by a sparky.

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

And the lintel/lintol variation?

And the umpteen batten/baton/similar variations.

I suppose we should end up in Mournington Cressent?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If only
I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no
more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

I have heard "ceiling" pronounced as "skeeling", by a roofing company
rep.

Conduit prondounced "condoot" by a sparky.

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

And the lintel/lintol variation?

And the umpteen batten/baton/similar variations.

I suppose we should end up in Mournington Cressent?

Lintol is NOT a word in Chambers Dictionary

Batten (1) to grow fat at the expense of
(2) piece of sawn timber used for support

Baton staff of office, short stick passed from one runner to another

--
John Bryan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2011 21:09, polygonum wrote:
And the lintel/lintol variation?

That's a new one on me.

And the umpteen batten/baton/similar variations.

A batten (roof in this context) and a baton (conducting an orchestra)
are not (at least to me) synonyms.

I suppose we should end up in Mournington Cressent?

cough

Oh and... Sir Form was what my grandfather said. And I think he was
older than the tool. And cill, not sill.

Yanks? Well, cart for trolley. (Trolley means tram). And bathroom.
And don't ever ask for a rubber when you want to remove pencil marks...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
On 26/08/2011 21:09, polygonum wrote:
And the lintel/lintol variation?

That's a new one on me.

And the umpteen batten/baton/similar variations.

A batten (roof in this context) and a baton (conducting an orchestra)
are not (at least to me) synonyms.

Nor or they homonyms.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 26 Aug,
Bob Eager wrote:

and for spelling, 'sill' spelled 'cill'.

Correct spelling.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2011 15:46, sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest.
If only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation clangers ?
Simon.

My mates missus rang once to say "Bob says can he borrow your Ankle
Grinder"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2011 15:46, sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest.
If only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd
have no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY
pronouncation clangers ?
Simon.

My mates missus rang once to say "Bob says can he borrow your Ankle
Grinder"?

That was just a Freudian slip!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2011 15:46, sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest.
If only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd
have no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY
pronouncation clangers ?
Simon.

My mates missus rang once to say "Bob says can he borrow your Ankle
Grinder"?

Just recalled. She also used to differentiate between natural timber &
chipboard by calling the former 'tree wood'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Just recalled. She also used to differentiate between natural timber &
chipboard by calling the former 'tree wood'.

My family moved to a new-built estate when I was a 3. An for the next
few years there was a lot of DIY all around as proper fences and sheds
were put up, garden paths set out etc. As I was learning to read I was
always puzzled by the sign of the local builders' merchant's lorry "Wood
for Timber". What was the difference? Why would they offer a swap? It
was only years latter, passing that merchnts yard every day on the way
to work, that I worked it out: name of company George Wood and Sons.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2011 15:46, sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest.
If only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation clangers ?

I have heard a number of folks refer to "Harris rail" - assuming that
the H must have been dropped from "Aris"...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 26/08/2011 15:46, sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest.
If only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no more space problems. Anyone got any

other good DIY pronouncation clangers ?

I have heard a number of folks refer to "Harris rail" - assuming that
the H must have been dropped from "Aris"...

You're talking out your 'arris ;-)

/'arry

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest.
If only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation clangers ?
Simon.

Soder and soddering by Americans.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 27, 4:27*am, F Murtz wrote:

Soder and soddering by Americans.

I teach soldering. Don't ask me how, but the last year I seem to have
spent a lot of it teaching soldering. Some of it for electronics to
sproggages, some teaching stained glass.

"You've really soddered that one" (American pronunciation) has become
shorthand for, "That's not the neatest soldered joint I've ever seen."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:27:38 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If only
I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have no
more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

Soder and soddering by Americans.

I've been in the US for a few years now, and I don't think I'll ever get
used to that one. Ditto with they way they all pronounce chassis.

(I have just about got used to calling spanners wrenches and torches
flashlights though ;-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If
only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have
no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

Soder and soddering by Americans.

I've been in the US for a few years now, and I don't think I'll ever get
used to that one.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

When I was young, my grandmother *always* called it 'soddering'. (she
didn't do any, just saw me doing it).

She was married to an expat Canadian; I wonder now if that's how she
picked it up.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If
only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have
no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

Soder and soddering by Americans.

I've been in the US for a few years now, and I don't think I'll ever get
used to that one. Ditto with they way they all pronounce chassis.

Ahh, and 'niche' (just saw it typed in a post in another thread). I've
only ever heard it as 'neesh' in England, but it always seems to be
'nitch' in the US. It's not really a diy term, but it still grates
whenever I hear it that way :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jules Richardson
writes

sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If
only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have
no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

Soder and soddering by Americans.

I've been in the US for a few years now, and I don't think I'll ever get
used to that one. Ditto with they way they all pronounce chassis.

Ahh, and 'niche' (just saw it typed in a post in another thread). I've
only ever heard it as 'neesh' in England, but it always seems to be
'nitch' in the US. It's not really a diy term, but it still grates
whenever I hear it that way :-)

As far as I'm concerned, "nitch" is a perfectly good English word
(possibly regional dialect) meaning essentially the same as "niche".
However, Google hits are few, and mainly refer to as being a
mispronunciation/misspelling of "niche". I think that this is one for
alt.english.usage and alt.usage.english!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Been watching some of the Tommy Walsh stuff recorded off Quest. If
only I could find out where he got his expanding metal lathe, I'd have
no more space problems. Anyone got any other good DIY pronouncation
clangers ? Simon.

Soder and soddering by Americans.

I've been in the US for a few years now, and I don't think I'll ever get
used to that one. Ditto with they way they all pronounce chassis.

Ahh, and 'niche' (just saw it typed in a post in another thread). I've
only ever heard it as 'neesh' in England, but it always seems to be
'nitch' in the US. It's not really a diy term, but it still grates
whenever I hear it that way :-)

The US spelling of "Vise" for Vice always seems wrong to me ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:01:46 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

Ahh, and 'niche' (just saw it typed in a post in another thread). I've
only ever heard it as 'neesh' in England, but it always seems to be
'nitch' in the US. It's not really a diy term, but it still grates
whenever I hear it that way :-)

That, and 'clique'. Damn those Yanks and their clicks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
I've been in the US for a few years now, and I don't think I'll ever get
used to that one. Ditto with they way they all pronounce chassis.

and ve-hick-le.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
ups.com
jgharston wrote:

Jules Richardson wrote:
I've been in the US for a few years now, and I don't think I'll ever get
used to that one. Ditto with they way they all pronounce chassis.

and ve-hick-le.

JGH

router (rowter) for wood working

router (rooter) for internet connection??

--
John Bryan

Correct terminologY Cranky UK diy 18 January 16th 08 05:50 PM
Faucet Terminology ? Robert11 Home Repair 1 June 2nd 07 01:14 AM
Switch terminology? Lord Garth Electronic Schematics 0 March 16th 07 12:17 AM
VCR terminology N Cook Electronics Repair 7 November 11th 05 08:59 AM
Lock terminology JimM UK diy 8 January 5th 04 12:00 AM