Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plugging screw holes in brick wall

There used to be a product many years ago for plugging drilled holes so you
could redrill next to the existing hole. I think it was asbestos based so
haven't seen it for years.
I have used mortar but it is a pain to wait days for it to go off. Is there
anything around that I can plug a drilled hole with and redrill the same
day.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:

There used to be a product many years ago for plugging drilled holes so you
could redrill next to the existing hole. I think it was asbestos based so
haven't seen it for years.
I have used mortar but it is a pain to wait days for it to go off. Is there
anything around that I can plug a drilled hole with and redrill the same
day.

I've used this sucessfully,

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p..._polyfilla.jsp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Zen83237 wrote:

There used to be a product many years ago for plugging drilled holes so
you
could redrill next to the existing hole. I think it was asbestos based so
haven't seen it for years.
I have used mortar but it is a pain to wait days for it to go off. Is
there
anything around that I can plug a drilled hole with and redrill the same
day.

I've used this sucessfully,

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p..._polyfilla.jsp

I will try it. The good thing about the stuff I used to use was you could
form it into a cylindrical shape then ram it it into the hole but not so
good if it did contain asbestos I guess.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 20, 11:18*pm, "Zen83237" wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message

o.uk...

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...ement_polyfill...

I will try it. The good thing about the stuff I used to use was you could
form it into a cylindrical shape then ram it it into the hole but not so
good if it did contain asbestos I guess.

Kevin

At least one type of resin is quick setting, car body filler uses it
IIRC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:06:13 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Zen83237 wrote:

There used to be a product many years ago for plugging drilled holes so
you
could redrill next to the existing hole. I think it was asbestos based
so
haven't seen it for years.
I have used mortar but it is a pain to wait days for it to go off. Is
there
anything around that I can plug a drilled hole with and redrill the same
day.

I've used this sucessfully,

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p..._polyfilla.jsp

Or you could try this:

http://www.fischer.de/en/fill-and-fix.aspx

And watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmI_3CBvxF0

And buy it:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fill-fix/54983

Or use any of the usual polyurethane adhesives which foam. Maybe add some
filler?

Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:00:48 +0100, "Zen83237"
wrote:

There used to be a product many years ago for plugging drilled holes so you
could redrill next to the existing hole. I think it was asbestos based so
haven't seen it for years.

Philplug.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

There used to be a product many years ago for plugging drilled holes so you
could redrill next to the existing hole. I think it was asbestos based so
haven't seen it for years.

Philplug.

? I thought it was made by Rawlplug. Fibrous grey stuff that you
dampened then stuffed in the hole. I've probably still got some in the
back of the shed.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:44:56 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

There used to be a product many years ago for plugging drilled holes so you
could redrill next to the existing hole. I think it was asbestos based so
haven't seen it for years.

Philplug.

? I thought it was made by Rawlplug. Fibrous grey stuff that you
dampened then stuffed in the hole. I've probably still got some in the
back of the shed.

Rawlplug started doing it later.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
wrote:

Zen83237 wrote:

There used to be a product many years ago for plugging drilled holes
so you
could redrill next to the existing hole. I think it was asbestos
based so
haven't seen it for years.
I have used mortar but it is a pain to wait days for it to go off.
Is there
anything around that I can plug a drilled hole with and redrill the same
day.

I've used this sucessfully,

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p..._polyfilla.jsp

Or you could try this:

http://www.fischer.de/en/fill-and-fix.aspx

Oh, not come across that, looks handy.

I was going to suggest Epoxy Putty, which I've used to refill a hole
which I then re-drilled to fix a boiler up
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris French" wrote in message
news
In message , polygonum
writes
wrote:

Zen83237 wrote:

[...]

http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?...69&Itemi d=34

I just found this which looks like the same thing.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Zen83237 wrote:

[...]

That looks like the same thing as epoxy putty. Is that what you meant?

The fill & fix is polyurethane.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Zen83237
writes

http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?...k=view&id=69&I
temid=34

I just found this which looks like the same thing.

If you mean expoxy putty, yes, that's what that is, rather than the fill
and fix
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 21, 11:34*pm, chris French
wrote:

I was going to suggest Epoxy Putty, which I've used to refill a hole
which I then re-drilled to fix a boiler up

Epoxy putty isn't as good for this as polyester putty (anyone seen
P38 car filler lately?). You can use it, if that's what you have or
can make, but polyester is usually the resin in the hole filling &
resin wallplug sets. Evo-stik's polyester outdoor filler
(Toolstation) isn't bad here either, and pretty quick to harden.
Filled polyester putties (unlike epoxy) can have double doses of
hardener added for a faster set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Zen83237 wrote:

There used to be a product many years ago for plugging drilled holes
so you
could redrill next to the existing hole. I think it was asbestos based
so
haven't seen it for years.
I have used mortar but it is a pain to wait days for it to go off. Is
there
anything around that I can plug a drilled hole with and redrill the
same
day.

I've used this sucessfully,

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p..._polyfilla.jsp

I have tubes of 'hole filler' especially for that task ... that work in my
standard hot melt glue gun.