Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing the fireclay elements in a traditional gas fire?

I have a standard gas fire, the likes of which have been around since the
1970s and maybe earlier. They have a set of (usually 3 or 4) white fireclay
(or similar) elements into which the flame rises. You knowm the things that
are fully visible and get heated heat up by the flame. They are removeable,
and are not fixed in place. One of mine is broken in a cople fp places. Is
it possible to glue it together with something? Is there a glue that will
stand such high temperatures?

Thanks..

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug 2011 09:51:01 GMT, AL_n wrote:

Is there a glue that will stand such high temperatures?

Cherry red... I doubt it. Wire the bits together but any wire in the
flame path will get erroded.

Is the fire 1970's vintage or was that only to give an example of the
type? If it's a more recent fire say up to 15 years old one might
still be able to get a replacement "fire block", I doubt that
anything would be avialable for a 40 year old fire...

"gas fire radiant spare*" seems to produce some interesting looking
hits.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On 19 Aug 2011 09:51:01 GMT, AL_n wrote:

Is there a glue that will stand such high temperatures?

Cherry red... I doubt it. Wire the bits together but any wire in the
flame path will get erroded.

Is the fire 1970's vintage or was that only to give an example of the
type? If it's a more recent fire say up to 15 years old one might
still be able to get a replacement "fire block", I doubt that
anything would be avialable for a 40 year old fire...

"gas fire radiant spare*" seems to produce some interesting looking
hits.

Thanks for the ideas. I don't know the actual vintage of the fire, but it's
a Valor "New Firelite", Serial No. 308 94.

I can't seem to find any mention of replacement blocks for it on the 'net.
Due to the nature of the break, it's not going to be easy to wire it
together. I thought there mighht have been some kind of fireclay cement
that will stand high temps. I guess silicone is out of the question, is it?

In my days of British motorbikes in the 1970s, we used orange hermetite
(silicone gasket goo) on cylinder heads which got pretty hot.

The breaks are at the lower portion of the fire block, at the front -
probably not the hottest part of the block...

If the thing was simply broken in half, horizontally, I'd rely on trusty
gravity to hold it together, but that's not applicable here.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message
I have a standard gas fire, the likes of which have been around since the
1970s and maybe earlier. They have a set of (usually 3 or 4) white
fireclay
(or similar) elements into which the flame rises. You knowm the things
that
are fully visible and get heated heat up by the flame. They are
removeable,
and are not fixed in place. One of mine is broken in a cople fp places. Is
it possible to glue it together with something? Is there a glue that will
stand such high temperatures?

Thanks..

Try searching for "gas fire radiants".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 10:51*am, "AL_n" wrote:
I have a standard gas fire, the likes of which have been around since the
1970s and maybe earlier. They have a set of (usually 3 or 4) white fireclay
(or similar) elements into which the flame rises. You knowm the things that
are fully visible and get heated heat up by the flame. They are removeable,
and are not fixed in place. One of mine is broken in a cople fp places. Is
it possible to glue it together with something? Is there a glue that will
stand such high temperatures?

Try polyfiller and pva. Let it set overnight before lighting up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Correction not polyfiller I think it was plasterboard adhesive and pve
I used. It was just to patch an element with a hole in it. A thin
slurry might weld it up. I doubt it will look pretty though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:51:01 +0100, AL_n wrote:

I have a standard gas fire, the likes of which have been around since the
1970s and maybe earlier. They have a set of (usually 3 or 4) white
fireclay
(or similar) elements into which the flame rises. You knowm the things
that
are fully visible and get heated heat up by the flame. They are
removeable,
and are not fixed in place. One of mine is broken in a cople fp places.
Is
it possible to glue it together with something? Is there a glue that will
stand such high temperatures?

Thanks..

Al

Try

Gasworks

299 Shirley Road
Southampton
Hampshire
SO15 3HU

Telephone: 023 8078 3031
Fax: 023 8049 9035
Web: http://www.gasworks.co.uk

They were very helpful when I needed new radiants a year or so back for an
old New World gas fire.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 19, 2011 at 10:51:01 AM UTC+1, AL_n wrote:
I have a standard gas fire, the likes of which have been around since the
1970s and maybe earlier. They have a set of (usually 3 or 4) white fireclay
(or similar) elements into which the flame rises. You knowm the things that
are fully visible and get heated heat up by the flame. They are removeable,
and are not fixed in place. One of mine is broken in a cople fp places. Is
it possible to glue it together with something? Is there a glue that will
stand such high temperatures?

Thanks..

Al

Found This; http://shop.vitcas.com/premium-flue-...310ml-56-p.asp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 19, 2011 at 10:51:01 AM UTC+1, AL_n wrote:
I have a standard gas fire, the likes of which have been around since the
1970s and maybe earlier. They have a set of (usually 3 or 4) white fireclay
(or similar) elements into which the flame rises. You knowm the things that
are fully visible and get heated heat up by the flame. They are removeable,
and are not fixed in place. One of mine is broken in a cople fp places. Is
it possible to glue it together with something? Is there a glue that will
stand such high temperatures?

Thanks..

Al

Found : http://shop.vitcas.com/premium-flue-...310ml-56-p.asp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

These fires go back a very long way, we took two out of the chimney breast
upstairs in the current house many years ago. it was built in 1939, and all
the houses were fitted with them.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
wrote in message
On Friday, August 19, 2011 at 10:51:01 AM UTC+1, AL_n wrote:
I have a standard gas fire, the likes of which have been around since the
1970s and maybe earlier. They have a set of (usually 3 or 4) white
fireclay
(or similar) elements into which the flame rises. You knowm the things
that
are fully visible and get heated heat up by the flame. They are
removeable,
and are not fixed in place. One of mine is broken in a cople fp places.
Is
it possible to glue it together with something? Is there a glue that will
stand such high temperatures?

Thanks..

Al

Found : http://shop.vitcas.com/premium-flue-...310ml-56-p.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, August 19, 2011 at 10:51:01 AM UTC+1, AL_n wrote:
I have a standard gas fire, the likes of which have been around since the
1970s and maybe earlier. They have a set of (usually 3 or 4) white
fireclay
(or similar) elements into which the flame rises. You knowm the things
that
are fully visible and get heated heat up by the flame. They are
removeable,
and are not fixed in place. One of mine is broken in a cople fp places.
Is
it possible to glue it together with something? Is there a glue that will
stand such high temperatures?

Found This;
http://shop.vitcas.com/premium-flue-...310ml-56-p.asp

You're 5 years late.