Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default motor capacitors

I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is
o/c. The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have mailed
their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly priced, one
off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious
centrifugal switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2011 14:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is
o/c. The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have mailed
their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly priced, one
off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious
centrifugal switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

regards

Something like here?

https://www.rush-on-line.co.uk/cap_index.php

When I needed a replacement motor fan for my shredder motor they were
able to find something suitable but I did have the advantage that they
are just down the road from where I work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes
I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is
o/c. The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have mailed
their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly priced, one
off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious
centrifugal switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

Assuming this isn't a trick question[1], CPC do them but you'll get
stung another 6quid or so in postage: http://cpc.farnell.com/CA0598594

[1] Tested on ac or with a dmm on resistance and reading max immediately
(not starting low and rising)?
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:29:51 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85.

Some on Ebay.uk
Item number: 220796858643
Italian and same spec £3.60 +£2.63 postage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is o/c.
The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have mailed
their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly priced, one
off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to read
but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious centrifugal
switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Try a local washing machine repair shop

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew May
writes
On 12/08/2011 14:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is
o/c. The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have mailed
their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly priced, one
off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious
centrifugal switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

regards

Something like here?

https://www.rush-on-line.co.uk/cap_index.php

When I needed a replacement motor fan for my shredder motor they were
able to find something suitable but I did have the advantage that they
are just down the road from where I work.

Yes. Fiver delivery plus the item marginally more expensive than CPC.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , Tim Lamb
writes
I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is
o/c. The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have mailed
their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly priced, one
off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious
centrifugal switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

Assuming this isn't a trick question[1], CPC do them but you'll get
stung another 6quid or so in postage: http://cpc.farnell.com/CA0598594

Yes. In stock and price OK Ta.

[1] Tested on ac or with a dmm on resistance and reading max
immediately (not starting low and rising)?

Open circuit on resistance range.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Geo
writes
wrote:

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85.

Some on Ebay.uk
Item number: 220796858643
Italian and same spec £3.60 +£2.63 postage.

Cheapest yet!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
the_constructor writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is o/c.
The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have mailed
their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly priced, one
off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to read
but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious centrifugal
switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Try a local washing machine repair shop

Nowadays I am greatly in favour of letting someone else use up their
fuel and time:-) Nearest repair shop about 5 miles.

Thanks.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2011 20:44, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , fred writes

[1] Tested on ac or with a dmm on resistance and reading max
immediately (not starting low and rising)?

Open circuit on resistance range.

regards

Isn't that what you would expect from a capacitor?

If the motor can be 'kick started' it's more likely to be duff windings.
Moving it round to a different commutator segment connects to a bit of
the winding which is still intact - hence it then runs.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 12/08/2011 20:44, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , fred writes

[1] Tested on ac or with a dmm on resistance and reading max
immediately (not starting low and rising)?

Open circuit on resistance range.

regards

Isn't that what you would expect from a capacitor?

If the motor can be 'kick started' it's more likely to be duff windings.
Moving it round to a different commutator segment connects to a bit of
the winding which is still intact - hence it then runs.

You are talking about a brush motor.
You won't find a brush motor in a shredder!
The OP's fault is NOT indicative of a winding problem. Much more likely
to be the capacitor.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , fred writes
In article , Tim Lamb
writes
I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is
o/c. The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have mailed
their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly priced, one
off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious
centrifugal switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

Assuming this isn't a trick question[1], CPC do them but you'll get
stung another 6quid or so in postage: http://cpc.farnell.com/CA0598594

Yes. In stock and price OK Ta.

[1] Tested on ac or with a dmm on resistance and reading max
immediately (not starting low and rising)?

Open circuit on resistance range.

Still uncertain whether you're testing it the right way. A working cap
will block dc so will show infinity on a moving coil meter immediately,
usually however a dmm will show low res initially then reading will rise
(rapidly or slowly depending on cap size) until you get an infinity
reading again.

An ac test may be clearer. A 20uf cap (same size as yours, just a diff
convention on cap marking) will have an impedance of 160ohms at mains
frequency (50Hz). If you connect your cap in series with a say 60W
incandescent light bulb and connect it to the mains then it will still
light brightly. If the bulb doesn't light then the cap is open circuit.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message ,
the_constructor writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Having just popped in to this conversation, I'm sure others have already
said that you don't need to replace exactly like for like on motor run
capacitors. As long as you get the voltage correct, {the real main point on
any capacitor selection} the Farad rating can be varied upward by ten or
twenty micro's without detrimental effect on the running of the motor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message ,
the_constructor writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

OOPS !!! I have an edit to make.

Having just popped in to this conversation, I'm sure others have already
said that you don't need to replace exactly like for like on motor run
capacitors. As long as you get the voltage correct and don't go below what
is rated for the motor {the real main point on any capacitor selection} then
the Voltage can be increased. The Farad rating can be varied upward by ten
or twenty, or more, also without detrimental effect on the running of the
motor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2011 23:07, fred wrote:
In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , fred writes
In article , Tim Lamb
writes
[...]

A moving coil meter will show the same - basically the thing will pass
current until its charged. So the needle will shoot up and then fall
back. The bigger the cap the longer it takes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , fred writes
In article , Tim Lamb
writes
[...]

For absolute clarity.... the test was done with a digital multimeter on
several different resistance ranges. There was no initial low resistance
followed by a rise to infinity. As with the Grey Parrot, this capacitor
is dead:-) The bulging top and sides are a bit of an indication.

New one on way!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is
o/c. The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have
mailed their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly
priced, one off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious
centrifugal switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

I presume it's not that urgent

How often do you come into Watford, there's RS & Maplin here

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , fred writes
In article , Tim Lamb
writes
I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is
o/c. The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have mailed
their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly priced, one
off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious
centrifugal switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

Assuming this isn't a trick question[1], CPC do them but you'll get
stung another 6quid or so in postage: http://cpc.farnell.com/CA0598594

Yes. In stock and price OK Ta.

[1] Tested on ac or with a dmm on resistance and reading max
immediately (not starting low and rising)?

Open circuit on resistance range.

Yes, but does it rise to O/C or just sit there at O/C?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
I am repairing a garden shredder and have discovered the capacitor is
o/c. The main winding is OK as it will run if *kick* started.

The shredder is German, the capacitor is Italian (although I have
mailed their UK outlet) where does one normally go for a modestly
priced, one off, replacement?

20mF,450Va/c, 8mm stud mount with spade terminals, tolerances hard to
read but the thermal rating is -25 to 85. There is no obvious
centrifugal switch so I am assuming this is start/run.

I presume it's not that urgent

Not urgent. My planning advisors wife is threatening to cut their hedges
so it seemed a wise move.

How often do you come into Watford, there's RS & Maplin here

Only on jury service:-(

It is the wrong side of St. Albans. (Gorilla's armpit!)

My efforts at electronics repairs only extends to dry joints on boiler
circuit boards although I did replace the power supply capacitors on two
Topfield PVRs. Close mounted, large scale integrated chips and
microscopic transistors are beyond my eyesight and equipment.

The capacitor resistance started at infinity and stayed there!

regards

--
Tim Lamb