Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Rise of the suits.

ARWadsworth wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
harryagain wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert,
when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "harryagain"
saying something like:

If you're poor in the UK, it's your own fault. You have had
every chance. Idleness or the failure to link action with
consequence.
You arsehole.
I would have expected such a comment about poor people from
dennis. However it seems that harry is challenging for the title of
"The
Group Idiot".

Well, explain where I am wrong. Just seen abuse so far from the
half witted.
Of course you have only seen abuse. You have your eyes shut to the
povery problem.

I have not seen real poverty in Britain since the 50's

Not like African poverty.
If you look on a map you will discover that Britain is not in Africa.

and what exactly is the point of that utterly moronic remark?

Britain is not a 3rd world country.

perhaps that why it has no real poverty, then
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 17:38:28 +0100 Tim Streater wrote :
Seems to me these schemes should have been made illegal years ago. In
fact, it should be illegal for any company that is not a pension company
to offer pension schemes. All pension schemes should be contributory
(with the company putting in if it wants to) and then the payout will
depend on what you do with your pot. Immediate end of all "underfunded
pension schemes" nonsense.

That's the Australian system - every employer (including Greentram
Software for me) has to pay and additional 9% of each employee's salary
into a 'super[annuation] fund' of the employee's choice. You can top this
up with a 'salary sacrifice' which gets tax relief. A friend of mine got
divorced and part of the settlement was that her ex had to pay 9% of the
maintenance into her super fund. If you've got enough in your pot to make
it worthwhile, you can have a SMSF - self-managed super fund where, within
the rules, you can invest as you choose. Gets rid of all of the
complications of multiple jobs, changing jobs etc.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Poverty is a real problem in this country.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

The only people I know living in poverty are a few elderly that wont claim
the benefits they should be getting.
I suspect that since there is a minimum income there isn't any real poverty
unless they don't claim.
Of course if you define poverty as not being able to drink, smoke, buy
drugs, or run a car then you can find poverty.
Or you could be a charity that defines poverty as being less than 2/3 of
average income.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

It soon will be if we don't get our "poor" off their arses.
And stop importing third world culture and spongers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

You don't have the faintest concept of what poverty is.
You need to get out more instead of spouting drivel here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Heh heh. He thinks povery is not having a mobile phone or an iPlayer.
I was brought up in poverty after the war.
Lots of people were. We didn't even think about it as many were the same
boat.
We didn't whinge or expect handouts.
I got out of it by hard work at school and then finding a decent job by the
standards of that time.

These f*cki*g whinging layabouts we have today make me sick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember "harryagain"
saying something like:

If you're poor in the UK, it's your own fault. You have had every
chance. Idleness or the failure to link action with consequence.
You arsehole.
I would have expected such a comment about poor people from dennis.

However it seems that harry is challenging for the title of "The
Group Idiot".

Well, explain where I am wrong. Just seen abuse so far from the half
witted.
Of course you have only seen abuse. You have your eyes shut to the
povery problem.

I have not seen real poverty in Britain since the 50's

Not like African poverty.

I suppose the shock of having an african housemaid ask me if she could
have the jacket I had thrown out that had completely worn through the
elbows, because she could mend it and sell it in Soweto, really brought it
home to me. Along with shoes made of bits of car tyres, trousers laced
together where the fly zips had gone... no safe drinking water, days
without food beyond boiled cornmeal..

I don't often agree with Harry, but we don't have any poverty here unless
someone is mentally ill.

Its still poverty, just not in the same league

not what you would expect in this supposedly first world country

You get what you deserve 99% of the time.

In this country many get more than they deserve.
I expect this situation to change within two years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Not you maybe. I am surprised its not ten times worse..

It's coming I think looking at the news this morning.
Third world status.

Bloody Hell. I find myself in agreement with TNP!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harryagain wrote:
Heh heh. He thinks povery is not having a mobile phone or an iPlayer. I
was brought up in poverty after the war. Lots of people were. We didn't
even think about it as many were the same boat.

Then as a kid you got free orange juice cod liver oil and milk at school.
Think that happens in countries where there is true poverty?

--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
harryagain wrote:
Heh heh. He thinks povery is not having a mobile phone or an iPlayer. I
was brought up in poverty after the war. Lots of people were. We didn't
even think about it as many were the same boat.

Then as a kid you got free orange juice cod liver oil and milk at school.
Think that happens in countries where there is true poverty?

You get free infant diarrhoea and die.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2011 08:55, harryagain wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message
The Natural wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
The Natural wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
The Natural wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
wrote in message
Grimly wrote:
[...]

The prevailing view of us war babies I suspect.

That said, there was hope in the 50s, and a choice of jobs for school
leavers. I do feel sorry for today's poor sods, but I remember William
Saroyan saying somewhere, "The world yields easily to those who know
what they want" and that is fundamentally true. Find your passion early
on and, if you're going to be a car thief, be the best damned car thief
in the world.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
harryagain wrote:
Heh heh. He thinks povery is not having a mobile phone or an iPlayer. I
was brought up in poverty after the war. Lots of people were. We didn't
even think about it as many were the same boat.

Then as a kid you got free orange juice cod liver oil and milk at school.

Most all of it where I went used to get chucked away!.. Mind you there
was more for me)..

But I remember times in the late 50's when we didn't have quite enough
to go round as "yer dads been laid off again" and being of good working
class stock we didn't complain accepted it as it was and got on with
it..

Now my daughter wants a new ifone as the one shes got is naff among her
peers;(....

Think that happens in countries where there is true poverty?

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
But I remember times in the late 50's when we didn't have quite enough
to go round as "yer dads been laid off again" and being of good working
class stock we didn't complain accepted it as it was and got on with
it..

Now my daughter wants a new ifone as the one shes got is naff among her
peers;(....

Indeed. What I most notice is just how many toys kids have compared to
when I was one. Now they need a play room to keep them in. When I were lad
it was a small box.

Q someone who says they'd have killed for just the box to play with...

--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
But I remember times in the late 50's when we didn't have quite enough
to go round as "yer dads been laid off again" and being of good working
class stock we didn't complain accepted it as it was and got on with
it..

Now my daughter wants a new ifone as the one shes got is naff among her
peers;(....

Indeed. What I most notice is just how many toys kids have compared to
when I was one. Now they need a play room to keep them in. When I were lad
it was a small box.

Q someone who says they'd have killed for just the box to play with...

You 'ad a *Box*?

Etc., etc.....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim
Streater scribeth thus

harryagain wrote:
Heh heh. He thinks povery is not having a mobile phone or an iPlayer. I
was brought up in poverty after the war. Lots of people were. We didn't
even think about it as many were the same boat.

Then as a kid you got free orange juice cod liver oil and milk at school.

Most all of it where I went used to get chucked away!.. Mind you there
was more for me)..

But I remember times in the late 50's when we didn't have quite enough
to go round as "yer dads been laid off again" and being of good working
class stock we didn't complain accepted it as it was and got on with
it..

Now my daughter wants a new ifone as the one shes got is naff among her
peers;(....

Tell her you'll fund a PAYG Samsung E1150i. It's all anyone really needs
as a phone.

Re PAYG JOOI does the team think this is a good idea as they'll be the
time when something's gone wrong somewhere shes perhaps stuck on her own
and run out of credit.. Or perhaps do I worry as a parent too much?....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Poverty is a real problem in this country.

No it isn't

Actually, it usually only happens to the poor and they don't really count.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 13:20:06 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Tim
Streater scribeth thus

harryagain wrote:
[...]

That's why ours don't have PAYG...especially the diabetic one. The phone
has been vital on occasion.

I paid for a generous £15/month contract, with phone, for each of them.
One decided he wanted an iPhone, so he covered the contract termination/
upgrade fee (most of it by selling the old phone). New one is £30/month,
and I pay the first £15. If he spends more, he pays it.

Of course, the other one got an iPhone 2 weeks later.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Re PAYG JOOI does the team think this is a good idea as they'll be the
time when something's gone wrong somewhere shes perhaps stuck on her own
and run out of credit.. Or perhaps do I worry as a parent too much?....

Most PAYG phones can be topped up from any bank account if necessary,
and most of them also have a reserve facility that lets you make a few
calls, with the cost being taken from the next top-up. So, she can call
or text you, and you can call her back, or top-up from your account on
line. (Lecture optional)

Failing that, I've got a Vodaphone contract that costs under fifteen
quid a month that gives me pretty much unlimited talktime. Others are
even cheaper.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So, where are the shanty towns made of rubbish and the starving in
the streets begging for handouts?

Be patient, the Olympics are *next* year. (That said, some Irish
travellers have made an early start with their unauthorised occupation
of land 350m or so from the electric fence around the Olympic park.)
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-05, ARWadsworth wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Poverty is a real problem in this country.

No it isn't

Actually, it usually only happens to the poor and they don't really count.

So, where are the shanty towns made of rubbish and the starving in the streets
begging for handouts?

For shanty towns, you only need to go to Paris, where I could point you
at a number. There aren't any here, only because the authorities are so
strict in removing people from unwanted locations, which hides the
problem to a certain extent.

Walk round Westminster at night, and you'll see quite a number of people
in sleeping bags resting on pieces of cardboard. They all move on every
morning, with or without persuasion from the police and the owners of
the doorways. These are the ones that the homelessness charities can't
or won't help. Similarly, Birmingham, Manchester.....

Go to Temple underground station every night, and watch the mobile soup
kitchen dispensing food and sympathy to hundreds. (Other soup kitchens
are available) Then walk round Westminster during the day and look at
the beggars on the street.

http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/rough-sleeping.html

For some figures.

There are charities that have been set up to distribute unsellable
(Close to its sell-by date, etc.) food from supermarkets to those in
need, and others that put food boxes together for families that can
afford either rent or food, but not both.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
Heh heh. He thinks povery is not having a mobile phone or an iPlayer. I
was brought up in poverty after the war. Lots of people were. We didn't
even think about it as many were the same boat.

Then as a kid you got free orange juice cod liver oil and milk at school.

Most all of it where I went used to get chucked away!.. Mind you there
was more for me)..

But I remember times in the late 50's when we didn't have quite enough
to go round as "yer dads been laid off again" and being of good working
class stock we didn't complain accepted it as it was and got on with
it..

My dad didn't get laid off. He died instead.

Actually we ended up better off, due to a generous life insurance and
company widow's pension scheme.

Now my daughter wants a new ifone as the one shes got is naff among her
peers;(....

Christ You could afford KIDS?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
But I remember times in the late 50's when we didn't have quite enough
to go round as "yer dads been laid off again" and being of good working
class stock we didn't complain accepted it as it was and got on with
it..

Now my daughter wants a new ifone as the one shes got is naff among her
peers;(....

Indeed. What I most notice is just how many toys kids have compared to
when I was one. Now they need a play room to keep them in. When I were lad
it was a small box.

I used to fix the neighbours broken toys and keep em.

They ran a pub. They had a car as well. I envied them.

Q someone who says they'd have killed for just the box to play with...

We did play with boxes a lot. Mainly big supermarket packing boxes.

The hours I spent playing card games...does not exceed the time kids
spend playing computer games...

And the hours I spent reading does not exceed the time kids spend
watching TV..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Poverty is a real problem in this country.

No it isn't

Actually, it usually only happens to the poor and they don't really count.

They don't, because they don't really exist in Western Europe.

We have to import them. And then they aren't poor any more, which they
find so offensive they start trying to blow everything up, including
themselves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
So, where are the shanty towns made of rubbish and the starving in
the streets begging for handouts?

Be patient, the Olympics are *next* year. (That said, some Irish
travellers have made an early start with their unauthorised occupation
of land 350m or so from the electric fence around the Olympic park.)

confiscate the wagons and send em back to Ireland.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So, where are the shanty towns made of rubbish and the starving in
the streets begging for handouts?

Be patient, the Olympics are *next* year. (That said, some Irish
travellers have made an early start with their unauthorised
occupation of land 350m or so from the electric fence around the
Olympic park.)

Jesus, travellers aren't poor. Have you seen how much those caravans
*cost*?

Referee! (Foreman?) He asked for shanty towns, rubbish and starving
beggars. Now he wants them to be poor as well.

Besides, they've occupied land alongside the authorised travellers site
(built on Hackney Marshes at a cost of nearly £400,000 a plot and in the
opinion of many unlawfully). So they can argue that they are poor
*relative* to the other travellers and these days that's how poverty's
defined 'innit?

Mind you, there's good news in the latest North Atlantic credit crisis
for the promise to end child poverty by 2020. Poverty's defined as less
than 60% of median income. So the more people who lose their
jobs/pensions/savings the lower the median and the fewer people living
in poverty. Simples?
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
[...]

Its like affordable housing. Stop credit, house prices crash, and still
no-one can afford them unless they have actually done something that
means they earned some money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer
saying something like:

Re PAYG JOOI does the team think this is a good idea as they'll be the
time when something's gone wrong somewhere shes perhaps stuck on her own
and run out of credit.. Or perhaps do I worry as a parent too much?....

She can request credit transfer from your phone; at least that works
with O2, dunno about others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "harryagain"
saying something like:

It soon will be if we don't get our "poor" off their arses.
And stop importing third world culture and spongers.

Aha, the real Harry the closet fascist/right-wing loon reveals himself.
I suspected as much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 05/08/11 15:20, Huge wrote:

"The Government's official figures for June 2010, based on snapshot street
counts, show that 1,768 people were sleeping rough on any given night in
England"

Add on 638 for Scotland and Wales = 2406.

That's 0.0038374% of the population. As near none as makes no
difference.

And I suspect that in most cases, the root causes are more than mere
poverty.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 2011-08-05, ARWadsworth wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Poverty is a real problem in this country.

No it isn't
Actually, it usually only happens to the poor and they don't really count.

So, where are the shanty towns made of rubbish and the starving in the streets
begging for handouts?

Toxteth?

I remember going through there just after the riots.. I couldn't believe
such places existed like that. I think that most anyone who was living
there or had nowhere else to go would have blown it off the face of the
earth if they had the means to do so;!..

So who's fault, was that the local authority government denizens of the
locality ?.. just who?..
--
Tony Sayer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes

Jesus, travellers aren't poor. Have you seen how much those caravans *cost*?

Cost? They don't *buy* 'em ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBB3s1wXkE
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
In message , Huge
writes

Jesus, travellers aren't poor. Have you seen how much those caravans
*cost*?

Cost? They don't *buy* 'em ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBB3s1wXkE

I'll guess the owner is now wishing they'd bought the higher defnition
system, so the plate could be read.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 15:47:34 +0100 Robin wrote :
So the more people who lose their jobs/pensions/savings
the lower the median and the fewer people living in poverty.
Simples?

The median will only fall if some of those whose income is
currently above it see their incomes fall below it. But if your
income falls from 70% to 50% of median you then become classed
as poor.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So the more people who lose their jobs/pensions/savings
the lower the median and the fewer people living in poverty.
Simples?

The median will only fall if some of those whose income is
currently above it see their incomes fall below it. But if your
income falls from 70% to 50% of median you then become classed
as poor.

Well yes, wouldn't it take a pretty bizarre mix of people losing their
jobs/pensions/savings for the all households median not to fall, bearing
in mind the way the FRS counts benefits in income BHC?

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember News
saying something like:

Jesus, travellers aren't poor. Have you seen how much those caravans *cost*?

Cost? They don't *buy* 'em ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBB3s1wXkE

Pikey scumbags.