Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stiff Kitchen tap

It's a Miami Monobloc Tap PVD Stainless Steel from B&Q.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...isSearch=false

Sorry about the long link.

You should be able to swivel the arm around the base part of the tap where
the controls are but since it was installed it has always been stiff and
when you move the swivel part, the whole tap (including the part under the
surface of the sink) tends to move. The sink is stainless steel. I can't
tighten it up any further so that the grip on the sink is better.

What can I use to lubricate the swivel part to make turning it easier? I
was thinking of 3-IN-ONE Professional White Lithium Grease available here
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165750

Would this be any good or can you think of a better solution?

Cheers,

Wes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:06:51 +0100, "Wesley" wrote:

What can I use to lubricate the swivel part to make turning it easier? I
was thinking of 3-IN-ONE Professional White Lithium Grease available here
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165750

Would this be any good or can you think of a better solution?

The usual lubricant would be silicone grease (from any plumbers
merchant - used to lubricate plastic pie seals) which is non-toxic and
won't harm rubber seals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2011 23:03, Peter Parry wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:06:51 +0100, wrote:

What can I use to lubricate the swivel part to make turning it easier? I
was thinking of 3-IN-ONE Professional White Lithium Grease available here
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165750

Would this be any good or can you think of a better solution?

The usual lubricant would be silicone grease (from any plumbers
merchant - used to lubricate plastic pie seals) which is non-toxic and
won't harm rubber seals.

You need to get at the small screw at the back of the spout, undo it,
the release the spout. As peter says, silicone grease on the 'O' rings,
then re assemble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2011 20:06, Wesley wrote:
It's a Miami Monobloc Tap PVD Stainless Steel from B&Q.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...isSearch=false

Sorry about the long link.

You should be able to swivel the arm around the base part of the tap where
the controls are but since it was installed it has always been stiff and
when you move the swivel part, the whole tap (including the part under the
surface of the sink) tends to move. The sink is stainless steel. I can't
tighten it up any further so that the grip on the sink is better.

What can I use to lubricate the swivel part to make turning it easier? I
was thinking of 3-IN-ONE Professional White Lithium Grease available here
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165750

Would this be any good or can you think of a better solution?

Cheers,

Wes

Sorry to hijack the thread, but my main stop tap is extremely stiff too
and quite difficult to turn off. I can't get to it very easily - it
pokes through the back of a kitchen unit - but I've been told, due to
potential contamination of the water supply, that there is nothing I can
do to the tap - is this correct?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2011 10:32, Steve wrote:
[...]

Turn off the water outside & replace it, can't see why that would
contaminate anything.

Gas Hub and stiff Knob Exhausted UK diy 20 August 26th 08 06:54 AM
Too stiff [email protected] UK diy 7 June 19th 07 10:22 AM
Stiff Shower Head Newbie Home Repair 4 February 19th 06 04:04 AM
stiff three jaw Randy Zimmerman Metalworking 5 July 22nd 05 03:06 PM
Stiff Kitchen tap Bren Home Repair 4 December 10th 04 06:52 PM