Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default textured exterior emulsion - will it disguise amateurish rendering?

One of the exterior walls of my house was unpainted rendering, and since it
was originally done, some different-sized windows have been installed, so
there was quite a bit of patchiness to the rendering, i.e., you could see
where one bit of rendering had joined up with another. And, frankly, even
the continuous areas were not expertly done. Trowel marks can be seen here
and there.

I mistakenly assumed that after I applied a couple of coats of exterior
emulsion, it would all look a lot better. It did - but not half as much as
I'd hoped.

Even after painting, the amateurish quality of the rendering still shows,
and especially when the sun is shining from the side, because all the
little shadows really show up the unevenness.

I'm sure that a coat of pebble dash of some kind would be ideal, but I'm
not in the market for that. Will ordinary textured emulsion improve the
look significantly?

Is it possible to make one's own textured emulsion by adding sharp sand (or
something) to regular exterior emulsion?

Thank you,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote in
:

On Jul 25, 7:19*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Even after painting, the amateurish quality of the rendering still
shows, and especially when the sun is shining from the side, because
all the little shadows really show up the unevenness.

I'm sure that a coat of pebble dash of some kind would be ideal, but
I'm not in the market for that. Will ordinary textured emulsion
improve the look significantly?

I wouldn't think so.

Some trellis over the worst bits?

Owain

Thanks for the suggestion, but the bad bits are everywhere. I think some
thick textured emulsion would be an improvement. has anyone tried mixing
sharp sand with smooth exterior emulsion to add a texture? Is that
feasaable?

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jul 2011 19:58:01 GMT, AL_n wrote:

has anyone tried mixing sharp sand with smooth exterior emulsion to add
a texture? Is that feasaable?

Well you can but there are quite large bits in sharp sand that may
well fall off the wall after a bit of weathering making holes or weak
spots in the paint film. Always assuming the paint will stick 'em
there in the first place.

TBH matching textures is pretty much impossible.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
Owain wrote in
:

On Jul 25, 7:19 pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Even after painting, the amateurish quality of the rendering still
shows, and especially when the sun is shining from the side, because
all the little shadows really show up the unevenness.

I'm sure that a coat of pebble dash of some kind would be ideal, but
I'm not in the market for that. Will ordinary textured emulsion
improve the look significantly?

I wouldn't think so.

Some trellis over the worst bits?

Owain

Thanks for the suggestion, but the bad bits are everywhere. I think
some thick textured emulsion would be an improvement. has anyone
tried mixing sharp sand with smooth exterior emulsion to add a
texture? Is that feasaable?

Al

Al,

Have a look at the textured Sandtex range he

http://www.sandtex.co.uk/

This is not the cheapest product, but if you follow the instructions and
properly prepare the surface and then give the wall at least 2 finish coats
(possibly 3) then that will give you the best possible results.

Beware though, like all coatings, you may still see defects in the wall
surface under certain light and weather conditions - but they are usually
less obvious with this stuff.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cash" wrote in
:

AL_n wrote:
Owain wrote in

:

On Jul 25, 7:19 pm, "AL_n" wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Does anyone know what Sandtex & Co. uses to add the texture to
their paint? Is it merely sand? If so, I will buy smooth and add my own
sand, thereby saving ££'s. I don't need to match textures, so that's not an
issue.

Al