Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rigid insulation boards.

The Kingspan/Cellotex sort of thing I mean.
I have been looking on the internet about fire rating/combustability/
electrical wiring
Surprisingly little there, all a bit vague. Anyone on the panel know
about this topic?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
The Kingspan/Cellotex sort of thing I mean.
I have been looking on the internet about fire rating/combustability/
electrical wiring
Surprisingly little there, all a bit vague. Anyone on the panel know
about this topic?

Nothing technical but I have a lot of PIR foam offcuts to dump so I
tried putting a flame to a small piece.

There is a small amount of surface combustion and then the flame goes
out as char appears.

looks like a skip job:-(

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2011 10:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
harry writes
The Kingspan/Cellotex sort of thing I mean.
I have been looking on the internet about fire rating/combustability/
electrical wiring
Surprisingly little there, all a bit vague. Anyone on the panel know
about this topic?

Nothing technical but I have a lot of PIR foam offcuts to dump so I
tried putting a flame to a small piece.

The PIR foam itself usually has a class 0 fire rating (i.e. very good).
It is treated with flame retardants, and is self extinguishing.

There is a small amount of surface combustion and then the flame goes
out as char appears.

looks like a skip job:-(

Yup, its not going to burn in a hurry!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2011 09:02, harry wrote:
The Kingspan/Cellotex sort of thing I mean.
I have been looking on the internet about fire rating/combustability/
electrical wiring
Surprisingly little there, all a bit vague. Anyone on the panel know
about this topic?

There is no incompatibility with wiring in the way there is it EPS -
i.e. leaching plasticisers etc. However it will result in a dramatic
de-rating of maximum current if you enclose wiring in it.

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lation_Methods

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 25, 12:22*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/07/2011 09:02, harry wrote:

The Kingspan/Cellotex sort of thing I mean.
I have been looking on the internet about fire rating/combustability/
electrical wiring
* Surprisingly little there, all a bit vague. Anyone on the panel know
about this topic?

There is no incompatibility with wiring in the way there is it EPS -
i.e. leaching plasticisers etc. However it will result in a dramatic
de-rating of maximum current if you enclose wiring in it.

See:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lation_Methods

--
Cheers,

John.

I have a lot in the house. When I put it in, I understood there was no
problems firewise but I can't find anything on the internet about
this.

Re wiring, there are a couple of places where the lighting wire passes
through it but my loading is very low, lots of CFLs :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 25, 9:02*am, harry wrote:
The Kingspan/Cellotex sort of thing I mean.
I have been looking on the internet about fire rating/combustability/
electrical wiring
*Surprisingly little there, all a bit vague. Anyone on the panel know
about this topic?

Jeezuz H.

Google "cellotex", first hit in the manufacturers website, "fire
rating" in the search box on the cellotex web site, "Advantages of
PIR" has a section of Fire performance.

Not difficult was it?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Nothing technical but I have a lot of PIR foam offcuts to dump so I
tried putting a flame to a small piece.

I've got a couple of bulk bags of this, still trying to decide whether to
risk feeding them through a chipper and then using as loose fill.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , andrew
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Nothing technical but I have a lot of PIR foam offcuts to dump so I
tried putting a flame to a small piece.

I've got a couple of bulk bags of this, still trying to decide whether to
risk feeding them through a chipper and then using as loose fill.

Do you want another one?:-)

My throat doesn't like the dust.
I needed some strips at 45mm and used the bandsaw to size it. Cloud of
dust every time I switch the m/c on now!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:27:31 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , andrew
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Nothing technical but I have a lot of PIR foam offcuts to dump so I
tried putting a flame to a small piece.

I've got a couple of bulk bags of this, still trying to decide whether
to risk feeding them through a chipper and then using as loose fill.

Do you want another one?:-)

Won't he need a waste disposal licence?

DARFC

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David P
writes

Tim Lamb wrote:

Nothing technical but I have a lot of PIR foam offcuts to dump so I
tried putting a flame to a small piece.

I've got a couple of bulk bags of this, still trying to decide whether
to risk feeding them through a chipper and then using as loose fill.

Do you want another one?:-)

Won't he need a waste disposal licence?

DARFC

I have an exemption, no 7 (annual renewal) spreading waste for the
improvement of agricultural land.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , David P
writes

Who let him in ;-) refugee from redundant newsgroup.

Won't he need a waste disposal licence?

DARFC

I have an exemption, no 7 (annual renewal) spreading waste for the
improvement of agricultural land.

Now that's stretching the meaning of improvement.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , andrew
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , David P
writes

Who let him in ;-) refugee from redundant newsgroup.

Impending retirement? Best beloved wants him to be occupied and not
under her feet?

Won't he need a waste disposal licence?

DARFC

I have an exemption, no 7 (annual renewal) spreading waste for the
improvement of agricultural land.

Now that's stretching the meaning of improvement.

Umm..

Protection from frost? All those over wintered carrots.

Drainage improvement? Providing channels for the movement of water in
heavy soils.

Nesting materials for those avian species alert to the benefits of
reflective materials.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

andrew writes

Tim Lamb wrote:

David P writes

Won't he need a waste disposal licence?

I have an exemption, no 7 (annual renewal) spreading waste for the
improvement of agricultural land.

Now that's stretching the meaning of improvement.

Drainage improvement? Providing channels for the movement of water in
heavy soils.

From a PIR MSDS found randomly on the web ...

"Environmental Precautions: Prevent from entering into soil, ditches,
sewers, waterways and/or groundwater"

http://www.wallace.sk.ca/pdf/Trymer%20PolyisocyanurateMSDS.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

andrew writes

Tim Lamb wrote:

David P writes

Won't he need a waste disposal licence?

I have an exemption, no 7 (annual renewal) spreading waste for the
improvement of agricultural land.

Now that's stretching the meaning of improvement.

Drainage improvement? Providing channels for the movement of water in
heavy soils.

From a PIR MSDS found randomly on the web ...

"Environmental Precautions: Prevent from entering into soil, ditches,
sewers, waterways and/or groundwater"

http://www.wallace.sk.ca/pdf/Trymer%20PolyisocyanurateMSDS.pdf

Yes. They don't actually give reasons.

My PIR scrap will end up in landfill.

The above comments are an *in house* attempt at jocularity within the
well regulated agricultural community:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 July, 08:52, Andy Burns wrote:
From a PIR MSDS found randomly on the web ...

"Environmental Precautions: Prevent from entering into soil, ditches,
sewers, waterways and/or groundwater"

http://www.wallace.sk.ca/pdf/Trymer%20PolyisocyanurateMSDS.pdf

That looks like a standard term that people copy and paste without
thinking.

For example: http://www.abbey-chemicals.co.uk/MSD...Water-MSDS.pdf
"EYE CONTACT
Promptly wash eyes with plenty of water while lifting the eye lids"

also
"ECOTOXICITY
There are no data on the ecotoxicity of this product."
(although that probably means "yes, we know it's harmless, you know
it's harmless, but no tests have been *on this product*")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 08:22:51 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , andrew
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , David
P writes

Who let him in ;-) refugee from redundant newsgroup.

Impending retirement? Best beloved wants him to be occupied and not
under her feet?

Still a few years to go till then - unless something unforeseen happens -
though she does seem anxious already to find me things to do. When the
old suite was replaced I was told in no uncertain terms that the settee
had to be put in the garage loft ready for me to strip and refurbish 'as
a hobby when you retire'. A Beech frame and springs is what it stripped
down to and it now awaits my retirement as a DIY venture.

And with those last 3 words we get the thread onto topic rather than an
agricultural meander G

--
David