Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crack in a garage wall.

Hi,
I have a small crack, 1-2mm wide, running through the concrete block and
render wall of my 10 year old garage from floor to roof. It is about a
blocks width in from one corner, the garage is built on a substantial
concrete base, which appears to be intact, about 12m X 4m. I first
noticed it about a year ago and it doesn't appear to have increased in
width over that time.
I can only think at the moment that the end wall has moved a fraction
away from the side wall, no idea why though.

To check for movement I am thinking of fixing a couple of glass
microscope slides across the crack to see if they fail, I seem to recall
that this is a standard check.

Has any one tried this or got a better idea? I was thinking of using
epoxy resin to fix the slides, good / bad idea??

My other thought was to get Sarah Beeny in to advise, but the thought of
her checking out my crack was too much to bear.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
To check for movement I am thinking of fixing a couple of glass
microscope slides across the crack to see if they fail, I seem to recall
that this is a standard check.

Has any one tried this or got a better idea? I was thinking of using
epoxy resin to fix the slides, good / bad idea??

A couple of dabs of mortar is the old fashioned way. If it falls off
after a day or so, you've either not got a good bond in the first place,
or it's moving fast enough to worry about. You can also get 2 part
movement detectors that you stick across the crack which will tell you
how much the wall is moving.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You could DIY with http://www.sccssurvey.co.uk/product/show/181
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 24, 8:53*pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

Just fill the crack, if it re-moves you'll get a new crack, and you'll
be able to see how far its moving in what direction.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:42:51 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

Just fill the crack, if it re-moves you'll get a new crack, and you'll
be able to see how far its moving in what direction.

How do you get direction? All that filled crack opening will tell you
is how far the two sides have moved relative to each other. One side
of the fill failing only says that fill/wall bond on that side of the
crack was weaker than the fill/wall bond on the other.

I guess it might reopen from one end in which case you know there is
more movement at that end but not much more.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 25, 10:34*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:42:51 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:
Just fill the crack, if it re-moves you'll get a new crack, and you'll
be able to see how far its moving in what direction.

How do you get direction? All that filled crack opening will tell you
is how far the two sides have moved relative to each other. One side
of the fill failing only says that fill/wall bond on that side of the
crack was weaker than the fill/wall bond on the other.

I guess it might reopen from one end in which case you know there is
more movement at that end but not much more.

Masonry cracks are always ragged edged, just look close up and its
fairly obvious which dircetion the 2 bits of masonry have gone in
relative to each other

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:42:51 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:
Just fill the crack, if it re-moves you'll get a new crack, and you'll
be able to see how far its moving in what direction.

How do you get direction? All that filled crack opening will tell you
is how far the two sides have moved relative to each other. One side
of the fill failing only says that fill/wall bond on that side of the
crack was weaker than the fill/wall bond on the other.

?? as it's at the end wall, could one assume any movement will be that
end wall moving "out" rather than the rest of the garage moving "in"?

NB Could someone have "nudged" the wall with a motor/quad/tracler?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:42:51 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:
Just fill the crack, if it re-moves you'll get a new crack, and you'll
be able to see how far its moving in what direction.

How do you get direction? All that filled crack opening will tell you
is how far the two sides have moved relative to each other. One side
of the fill failing only says that fill/wall bond on that side of the
crack was weaker than the fill/wall bond on the other.

?? as it's at the end wall, could one assume any movement will be that
end wall moving "out" rather than the rest of the garage moving "in"?

NB Could someone have "nudged" the wall with a motor/quad/tracler?

Jim K

I'm assuming that the end wall has moved a fraction outwards, no obvious
signs of damage on the end wall, just the crack on the side wall, but
almost in line with the inside edge of the end one. No signs of damage
to the concrete base.

There is no chance it could have been nudged, there is only a small
gated path beside it and I am the only one to use it.

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas,
http://www.sccssurvey.co.uk/product/show/181 look interesting.

I have a feeling that it hasn't moved for a while, but would like to be
sure. I will be filling it with something before the winter.

--
Bill

Crack on outside wall Gloxx1961 UK diy 33 September 3rd 06 07:16 PM
Crack in the basement wall Student Home Ownership 14 January 20th 06 04:09 PM
Crack on wall - should I be worried? Pasta UK diy 13 July 19th 05 09:54 AM
Crack in garage wall Alan UK diy 5 July 5th 05 07:44 PM
Fine crack in garage floor Andrew McKay UK diy 13 August 26th 03 05:43 PM