Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carbin Fibre rods - source.

SWMBO is helping someone make a display stand for art work. we have the
metal framework but we need to work out a way of attaching an inner fabric
lining which will serve as a backdrop to the pictures. I have proposed
making a pocket hem in the material and threading a carbon fibre sectional
rod through to make a frame. Then using this - with suitable hooks - to
attach the fabric to the metal structure.
I have a beach shelter which uses carbon fibre poles - any ideas when I can
obtain such poles and couplings?

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2011 19:27, DerbyBoy wrote:
SWMBO is helping someone make a display stand for art work. we have the
metal framework but we need to work out a way of attaching an inner
fabric lining which will serve as a backdrop to the pictures. I have
proposed making a pocket hem in the material and threading a carbon
fibre sectional rod through to make a frame. Then using this - with
suitable hooks - to attach the fabric to the metal structure.
I have a beach shelter which uses carbon fibre poles - any ideas when I
can obtain such poles and couplings?

Regards

I'd look at mountain tent spares.

Most geodesic type tents have thin bendy poles ( not necessarily carbon,
aluminium is common ).

Google 'tent pole spares'.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi There
try kite stores for a range of carbon fibre rods. Though it might be
cheaper to salvage beach shelters such as you have, I was amazed at the low
price they have come down to in recent years.

HTH
Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all. Thinking now of trying strong magnets to attach material to
steel frame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2011 22:18, DerbyBoy wrote:

Thanks all. Thinking now of trying strong magnets to attach material to
steel frame.

I'm a BIG FAN of strong magnets, readily available in many sizes and
shapes. The 18 mm dia 2.5 mm thick disks with a central hole
(countersunk one side) is particularly useful, I find.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 18, 7:27*pm, "DerbyBoy" No-one wrote:
SWMBO is helping someone make a display stand for art work. we have the
metal framework but we need to work out a way of attaching an inner fabric
lining which will serve as a backdrop to the pictures. I have proposed
making a pocket hem in the material and threading a carbon fibre sectional
rod through to make a frame. Then using this - with suitable hooks - to
attach the fabric to the metal structure.
I have a beach shelter which uses carbon fibre poles - any ideas when I can
obtain such poles and couplings?

Regards

Garden canes much cheaper?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 18, 7:27*pm, "DerbyBoy" No-one wrote:
SWMBO is helping someone make a display stand for art work. we have the
metal framework but we need to work out a way of attaching an inner fabric
lining which will serve as a backdrop to the pictures. I have proposed
making a pocket hem in the material and threading a carbon fibre sectional
rod through to make a frame. Then using this - with suitable hooks - to
attach the fabric to the metal structure.
I have a beach shelter which uses carbon fibre poles - any ideas when I can
obtain such poles and couplings?

Regards

The plastic covered springs that are sometimes used for net curtains?

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:18:50 +0100, DerbyBoy wrote:

Thanks all. Thinking now of trying strong magnets to attach material to
steel frame.

The GF wands used for tents?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 18, 7:27*pm, "DerbyBoy" No-one wrote:

I have a beach shelter which uses carbon fibre poles - any ideas when I can
obtain such poles and couplings?

It probably uses black fibreglass instead of carbon fibre.

Carbon fibre makes a very stiff pole, so it's used for kitemaking, but
not usually for tents (some high-end, but straight poles, are). It's
also rare to see carbon fibre rod in large diameters - anything over
5mm tends to be tube. Most cheap pole is "pultruded", i.e. an
extrusion process with the fibres aleready in the resin. This gives a
cheap stiff pole, but it can split if overbent. The best stuff is some
sort of helical wrap or weave, but this gets expensive.

For most purposes, white fibreglass will do what you need better than
carbon fibre. It's tougher (less brittle) and far better for almost
any use where it needs to be bent. A bit cheaper too.

Searching for outdoor suppliers, clothing sewing suppliers, and
especially kite making supplies, should turn stuff up for you. I use
nearly as much 1mm and 1.5mm fibreglass rod as I do gaffer tape.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2011 22:18, DerbyBoy wrote:

Thanks all. Thinking now of trying strong magnets to attach material to
steel frame.

My experience of display stands held together with magnets is that they
work marvelously until just before the exhibition starts, when all the
magnets let go at once.

Colin Bignell