Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloody plumbers

It's not uncommon for installers or repairers to omit a fairly costly item
like inhibitor. Without any, a system will still last the warranty period.
And then provide more work for them or their trade rather earlier than if
it is used. A win win situation - for them.

--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's not uncommon for installers or repairers to omit a fairly costly item
like inhibitor. Without any, a system will still last the warranty period.
And then provide more work for them or their trade rather earlier than if
it is used. A win win situation - for them.

Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time, as well as you've snipped
the previous content, so we dont know what you are talking about unless
the thread has already been read.
Ta
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 9, 9:37 am, (A.Lee) wrote:

Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time, as well as you've snipped
the previous content, so we dont know what you are talking about unless
the thread has already been read.
Ta
Alan.

??
looks ok in GG (for as long as is visible....) ;))

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2011 09:47, Jim K wrote:
On Jul 9, 9:37 am, (A.Lee) wrote:

Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time, as well as you've snipped
the previous content, so we dont know what you are talking about unless
the thread has already been read.
Ta
Alan.

??
looks ok in GG (for as long as is visible....) ;))

Wouldn't want to change things in that software and lose those taglines.
There are a couple of posters around the UK newsgroups that don't have
optimal sending abilities for the rest of usenet.... and then there is
GG and *banter etc...

IMO Dave's client sending issues are very minor in comparision.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's not uncommon for installers or repairers to omit a fairly costly
item like inhibitor. Without any, a system will still last the
warranty period. And then provide more work for them or their trade
rather earlier than if it is used. A win win situation - for them.

Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time, as well as you've snipped
the previous content, so we dont know what you are talking about unless
the thread has already been read. Ta Alan.

I'd suggest you get yourself a compliant newsreader. Or learn how to use
the one you have.

--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News)
escribió:

I'd suggest you get yourself a compliant newsreader. Or learn how to use
the one you have.

It's not him, it's you. Your headers show no References: lines, which is
what enables threading, so any decent news client (and that doesn't
include gargle gropes) will think it's a new post. FWIW, Turnpike sees
it as a new post too.

From your post (the one Alan referred to):

From: "Dave Plowman (News)"
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Bloody plumbers
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:22:56 +0100

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 10:58:28 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I'd suggest you get yourself a compliant newsreader. Or learn how

use the one you have.

It's not him, it's you. Your headers show no References: lines, which is
what enables threading,

Yet Dave's client at least preserves the References: line when it is
there. His response in:

Subject: Lidl offers from Thurs.
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:25:48 +0100
Has References: how ever Dave has also quoted part of the message he
is responding to there. So perhaps without quotes it strips/doesn't
create References: or Dave had finger trouble.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article :
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's not uncommon .....

Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time, ....

I'd suggest you get yourself a compliant newsreader. Or learn how to use
the one you have.

It is compliant, your posts show as a new thread, with no attributions
showing.
Notice there is no 'Reference' line, which I think is the main problem,
as Newsreaders cannot tell what it is related to.

From:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1036.txt

2.2.5. References

This field lists the Message-ID's of any messages prompting the
submission of this message. It is required for all follow-up
messages, and forbidden when a new subject is raised....

...The purpose of the "References" header is to allow messages to be
grouped into conversations by the user interface program. This
allows conversations within a newsgroup to be kept together

See your full headers below:

From: "Dave Plowman (News)"
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:22:56 +0100

It's not uncommon...
Snipped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember (A.Lee) saying
something like:

It is compliant, your posts show as a new thread, with no attributions
showing.

Agent shows it as part of the thread, perfectly ok. Otoh, Agent does
have moments where it screws up things just like everything else.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

It's not uncommon for installers or repairers to omit a fairly costly
item like inhibitor. Without any, a system will still last the
warranty period. And then provide more work for them or their trade
rather earlier than if it is used. A win win situation - for them.

Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time, as well as you've snipped
the previous content, so we dont know what you are talking about unless
the thread has already been read. Ta Alan.

I'd suggest you get yourself a compliant newsreader. Or learn how to use
the one you have.

Don't think it's a standards issue - your posts often show up as
separate threads, seemingly out of the blue.

Wouldn't mind if the content was of any value ;-)

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time, as well as you've snipped
the previous content, so we dont know what you are talking about unless
the thread has already been read.

At least part of the problem is with your settings, Alan. This and all
the other threads where people have complained about a new thread being
created for every post have shown up perfectly threaded on all my
machines in Thunderbird 2.0.24 under XP,using News Individual Net's server.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

A.Lee wrote:

Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time

At least part of the problem is with your settings, Alan.

In this case Dave's reply doesn't look like a reply in any sense of the
word, no "" prefix on the subject and no "references:" header, it is
in fact a new message ... viewed here in TB3.1, but no reader would
thread it however it treated it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2011 11:25, John Williamson wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time, as well as you've snipped
the previous content, so we dont know what you are talking about unless
the thread has already been read.

At least part of the problem is with your settings, Alan. This and all
the other threads where people have complained about a new thread being
created for every post have shown up perfectly threaded on all my
machines in Thunderbird 2.0.24 under XP,using News Individual Net's server.

Very odd - I'm using XP/Thunderbird 3.1.11 (for both this and the
original post kicking off this thread) and on my system Dave's post has
started a new thread... WTF??? Have I got settings wrong somewhere?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time, as well as you've snipped
the previous content, so we dont know what you are talking about unless
the thread has already been read.

At least part of the problem is with your settings, Alan. This and all
the other threads where people have complained about a new thread being
created for every post have shown up perfectly threaded on all my
machines in Thunderbird 2.0.24 under XP,using News Individual Net's server.

Very odd - I'm using XP/Thunderbird 3.1.11 (for both this and the
original post kicking off this thread) and on my system Dave's post has
started a new thread... WTF??? Have I got settings wrong somewhere?

No, there is no 'References' line in the Headers, so some (compliant)
newsreaders cannot put it into the thread where it should have been.
If there was a "reference' in the header, all newsreaders can thread it
properly, as it is, some can, some can't.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , John Williamson
escribió:

This and all
the other threads where people have complained about a new thread being
created for every post have shown up perfectly threaded on all my
machines in Thunderbird 2.0.24 under XP,using News Individual Net's server.

Probably threading by Subject: rather than References:.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's not uncommon for installers or repairers to omit a fairly costly
item
like inhibitor. Without any, a system will still last the warranty
period.
And then provide more work for them or their trade rather earlier than if
it is used. A win win situation - for them.

Do you think you could sort out your newsreader settings please - your
posts are showing as a new thread each time, as well as you've snipped
the previous content, so we dont know what you are talking about unless
the thread has already been read.

It looks fine here, through OE on XP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

They don't.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sanction
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's not uncommon for installers or repairers to omit a fairly costly item
like inhibitor. Without any, a system will still last the warranty period.
And then provide more work for them or their trade rather earlier than if
it is used. A win win situation - for them.

Indeed. My boiler was installed a couple of years ago by a different
plumber from the same firm, which actually I have hitherto trusted and
used (for my gas stuff) for a long time. On the log book he'd stated
that Sentinel had been used and admittedly I took that at face value.

On reflection I now wish I'd run off a jar-full from a drain cock for a
bit of diy analysis before yesterday

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2011 15:05, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

The plumber who fitted my new boiler peeled a label off the bottle of
Sentinel and stuck it to the front of the boiler.

I've left the empty bottle on top of the header tank. The front of the
boiler is a bit too visible (not in cupboard or anything).

Andy
Another TB3 user with a new thread!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

quote
"I'd suggest you get yourself a compliant newsreader. Or learn how to use
the one you have."

your headers...

From: "Dave Plowman (News)"
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 09:22:56 +0100
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
your headers...

From: "Dave Plowman (News)"
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

And? If your newsreader can't put this under the same subject heading...

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
your headers...

From: "Dave Plowman (News)"
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

And? If your newsreader can't put this under the same subject heading...

most people on here seem to have the sense to use a use a standards
compliant newsreader, and know how to use it unlike you.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
your headers...

From: "Dave Plowman (News)"
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

And? If your newsreader can't put this under the same subject
heading...

most people on here seem to have the sense to use a use a standards
compliant newsreader, and know how to use it unlike you.

Dear boy, I'm not the one complaining...

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
your headers...

From: "Dave Plowman (News)"
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

And? If your newsreader can't put this under the same subject
heading...

most people on here seem to have the sense to use a use a standards
compliant newsreader, and know how to use it unlike you.

Dear boy, I'm not the one complaining...

Indeed, you are the person being complained about
so do take the time and learn how to post a Followup to a newsgroup
correctly.

-

Bloody plumbers Lobster UK diy 8 July 9th 11 03:06 PM
BLOODY CAMERAS HeyBub[_3_] Woodworking 0 October 12th 10 02:18 PM
Bloody B&Q again [email protected] UK diy 9 October 20th 06 09:24 AM
It's too bloody hot for tiling.... Dan delaMare-Lyon UK diy 17 July 3rd 06 01:47 PM
Bloody Woodchip!!! John UK diy 21 April 11th 05 08:13 PM