Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fluorescent Tubes

Chris Hogg wrote:
We have three very old fluorescent strip-light fittings that don't use
'starters', probably early 1960's era. I like them because when
switched on, they light instantly just like a filament light with no
delay and none of the flashing typical of modern fittings on start-up.
But I seem to be having difficulty getting tubes that will work in
them. The existing tubes, 4 ft, are approx 1.5 in diameter. A new tube
bought recently but only about 1 in diameter, just glows pink at each
end but won't strike, although it works OK in a more modern fitting.
So what's so special about the fatter tubes, and can they still be
obtained, or am I going to have to sacrifice my old fittings and buy
ones that modern tubes work with?

If you can get a tube with a metalic stripe the full length use that or
put a metal earthed reflector within an inch of the tube and it will work.
As an experiment hold one hand on the case and run the other hand
wrapped round the tube along the length of the tube when switched on and
it will probably light.

Fluorescent Tubes John Williamson UK diy 0 July 5th 11 10:05 PM
Fluorescent Tubes Way Back Jack[_4_] Home Repair 8 June 12th 09 05:16 AM
Fluorescent tubes John UK diy 4 November 10th 08 10:35 PM
Fluorescent tubes Simon Elliott UK diy 17 March 15th 05 09:10 PM