Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using SD memory cards

This is probably me being thick, but I'm struggling to use a couple of
SD memory cards. One is 'standard' size (about an inch square), and the
other is smaller. The second one has an adapter to make it the same
size as the larger one. I also have a USB stick into which either can
be plugged. The problem is that neither PC can see either card, whether
plugged directly in a card socket, or via the USB stick. PCs are W7 and
XP. Am I missing something obvious? Surely the cards don't need
formatting before use? One card is Kingston, so not an unknown back
street copy.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

This is probably me being thick, but I'm struggling to use a couple of
SD memory cards. One is 'standard' size (about an inch square), and the
other is smaller. The second one has an adapter to make it the same size
as the larger one. I also have a USB stick into which either can be
plugged. The problem is that neither PC can see either card, whether
plugged directly in a card socket, or via the USB stick. PCs are W7 and
XP. Am I missing something obvious? Surely the cards don't need
formatting before use? One card is Kingston, so not an unknown back
street copy.

The cards should come formatted. Check that your pc device manager to
check the card reader is OK
Mine is filed under Secure Digital Host Controller and only appears when
a card is plugged in.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

I'm struggling to use a couple of
SD memory cards. One is 'standard' size (about an inch square), and the
other is smaller. The second one has an adapter to make it the same
size as the larger one. I also have a USB stick into which either can
be plugged. The problem is that neither PC can see either card, whether
plugged directly in a card socket, or via the USB stick.

Are the cards SD or MMC or the higher capacity SDHC or SDXC? If the
latter, your PC's memory slots and USB readers may not be compatible,
anything larger than 2GB isn't SD (or is bending the rules).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 5, 9:21*am, Andy Burns wrote:
News wrote:
I'm struggling to use a couple of
SD memory cards. *One is 'standard' size (about an inch square), and the
other is smaller. *The second one has an adapter to make it the same
size as the larger one. *I also have a USB stick into which either can
be plugged. *The problem is that neither PC can see either card, whether
plugged directly in a card socket, or via the USB stick.

Are the cards SD or MMC or the higher capacity SDHC or SDXC? *If the
latter, your PC's memory slots and USB readers may not be compatible,
anything larger than 2GB isn't SD (or is bending the rules).

Yep, almost certain to be the problem, if the USB reader isn't SDHC
compatible you won't see the cards. Poundland and their ilk usually
have SDHC compatible USB card readers which work fine IMX.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 08:38:53 +0100, News wrote:

Am I missing something obvious?

The cards are fooked? Have you A.N.Other devices to try 'em in to see
if they can "see" the cards?

Surely the cards don't need formatting before use?

They do but if they don't appear as drives you can't do that...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 08:38:53 +0100, News wrote:

This is probably me being thick, but I'm struggling to use a couple of
SD memory cards. One is 'standard' size (about an inch square), and the
other is smaller. The second one has an adapter to make it the same
size as the larger one. I also have a USB stick into which either can
be plugged. The problem is that neither PC can see either card, whether
plugged directly in a card socket, or via the USB stick. PCs are W7 and
XP. Am I missing something obvious? Surely the cards don't need
formatting before use? One card is Kingston, so not an unknown back
street copy.

I've tried a few cards in adapters as you describe and found that the
adapters tend to be cheap, shoddy and at best intermittent in their
abililty to "see" the cards. Of the three pieces of cheap carp I have
tried only one adapter worked properly - and even that one failed after
a few insertions.

You could try cleaning the contacts on your cards, they may have picked
up some contamination from the adapter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

root wrote:
I've tried a few cards in adapters as you describe and found that the
adapters tend to be cheap, shoddy and at best intermittent in their
abililty to "see" the cards. Of the three pieces of cheap carp I have
tried only one adapter worked properly - and even that one failed after
a few insertions.

I have a Poundland USB card reader with slots for SD and microSD cards.
It'll read microSD cards in the microSD slot, but not in the SD slot with a
passive adaptor. The same microSD+adaptor combo works in every other
machine/camera I've used.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This is probably me being thick, but I'm struggling to use a couple of
SD memory cards. One is 'standard' size (about an inch square), and the
other is smaller. The second one has an adapter to make it the same
size as the larger one. I also have a USB stick into which either can
be plugged. The problem is that neither PC can see either card, whether
plugged directly in a card socket, or via the USB stick. PCs are W7 and
XP. Am I missing something obvious? Surely the cards don't need
formatting before use? One card is Kingston, so not an unknown back
street copy.

Do you know for sure that the card reader works? I bought one via mail
order from a computery place and it flatly refused to do anything: the
one I subsequently picked up in a pound shop performs without a murmur
of dissent.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nick Odell
writes
wrote:

This is probably me being thick, but I'm struggling to use a couple of
SD memory cards. One is 'standard' size (about an inch square), and the
other is smaller. The second one has an adapter to make it the same
size as the larger one. I also have a USB stick into which either can
be plugged. The problem is that neither PC can see either card, whether
plugged directly in a card socket, or via the USB stick. PCs are W7 and
XP. Am I missing something obvious? Surely the cards don't need
formatting before use? One card is Kingston, so not an unknown back
street copy.

Do you know for sure that the card reader works? I bought one via mail
order from a computery place and it flatly refused to do anything: the
one I subsequently picked up in a pound shop performs without a murmur
of dissent.

Bingo! Much fiddling about with the card in the USB reader thingy, and
it works. Obviously a poor connection in there, somewhere. New card
reader required.

Cheers,
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

This is probably me being thick, but I'm struggling to use a couple of
SD memory cards. One is 'standard' size (about an inch square), and the
other is smaller. The second one has an adapter to make it the same
size as the larger one. I also have a USB stick into which either can
be plugged. The problem is that neither PC can see either card, whether
plugged directly in a card socket, or via the USB stick. PCs are W7 and
XP. Am I missing something obvious? Surely the cards don't need
formatting before use? One card is Kingston, so not an unknown back
street copy.

Do the cards work in a camera? Try formatting them in the camera, and
then reading them in the computer.

If they do work, then the problem's with your computer. If they're over
2Gb and it's an oldish computer, then as others have said, they'll be
SDHC, and can't be read by older units. Such as this 5 year old Toshiba
laptop. A new card reader will almost certainly read SDHC cards, I got
mine from PC World for a tenner a year ago, and it reads all known forms
of Flash memory, except the very early ones that emulated a floppy
(SSFDC?) and PCMCIA cards.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 5 Jul,
News wrote:

This is probably me being thick, but I'm struggling to use a couple of
SD memory cards. One is 'standard' size (about an inch square), and the
other is smaller. The second one has an adapter to make it the same
size as the larger one. I also have a USB stick into which either can
be plugged. The problem is that neither PC can see either card, whether
plugged directly in a card socket, or via the USB stick. PCs are W7 and
XP. Am I missing something obvious? Surely the cards don't need
formatting before use? One card is Kingston, so not an unknown back
street copy.

What size? There are SD cards (below 2G) and SDHC cards (larger than 2G). The
card reader may be SD rather than SDHC. I had to get a new reader for cards
greater than 2G.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply