Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas meter external box replacement.

Hi all,

An elderly neighbour needs to replace her external surface mounted
white gas box (got a damaged by a car) but I'm not sure if it is
something a std handyman could do or would it require meter
disconnection hence need a Gas Safe person at least (or would the gas
Co have to do it)? I didn't know if it was something you could slide
out from behind all the pipes and brackets (by design) or if it would
need to be a complete re-install from new. Are all these back panels
built to the same spec / spacing for pipes and brackets etc?

She actually phoned her gas supplier to request a new box but was told
'they didn't replace boxes any more'.

The box is one of the more rectangular jobbies with fairly square
corners / edges that I understand had a front door that opened like a
car glove compartment that isn't the full size of the box. In fact,
the box itself lifts off and the back panel is intact so a new (old)
box of the same design would be ideal (nothing on eBay that I can
see).

'Outside the box' thoughts welcomed. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

replacing or reinforcing external gas & electric meter boxes Al 1953 UK diy 11 March 27th 10 12:15 PM
Replacement external overflow toilet pipe leaking - any ideas? JE UK diy 2 January 11th 08 05:08 PM
external gas meter box coffeeman UK diy 7 December 10th 06 11:34 PM
External Meter Box Spares Steve UK diy 4 October 27th 05 07:29 PM
external firewire case died - can I buy a replacement 1394/ide bridgepcb? hupjack Electronics Repair 0 October 25th 05 08:44 PM