Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default questions on my leaking conservatory

Yeah

On Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:07:52 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Jun 24, 10:56*pm, blackhead wrote:
Here's some photos of the guilty botch job:
https://picasaweb.google.com/115048071046327553869/Conservatory?authk....

Pictures silicone_sealed and silicon_sealed_closeup show how two polycarbonate panels have been sealed using silicone sealant. The sealant is firmly embedded inside the panel on the right, but is free to slide over the left panel. As a result, I suspect that water is managing to get under the sealant by capillary action. How would you guys go about ressurecting this botch job?

How do I remeove the panel shown in picture panel_fixing? There doesn't seem to be an easy way to remove the metal fixing, and I can't seem to pull the panel off.

Thanks in advance for your help.

There is no chance it WON'T leak done like that.
I built a large conservatory using a timber frame and a patent system
of rail/seals. Works fine. You need to get down to your local roofing
supplier, I expect they will have it there or a similar one.

How you go about it depends on the standards the rest of the building
is done to.

BTW. I have discovered nothing will permanently stick to polycarbonate
sheets.

That's the problem, getting something that will permanently stick to polycarbonate and so prevent water from getting underneath the seal.

Perhaps I could run gaffe tape over it?

Not perfect, but maybe it will at least significantly reduce water getting underneath the seal.

questions on my leaking conservatory blackhead UK diy 2 June 26th 11 08:40 AM
Questions on a leaking conservatory blackhead UK diy 1 June 25th 11 08:30 AM
Leaking conservatory albeck UK diy 5 June 1st 07 12:01 PM
Conservatory Leaking Jacky UK diy 5 January 18th 07 08:06 PM
leaking conservatory - again! keith UK diy 12 November 1st 04 12:38 PM