Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY starter kit

Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...bi-drill/47038
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suggestions?

Find out what he wants/needs to do.

Plumbing? Joinery? Decoration? Restoration?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...cd-cordless-co
mbi-drill/47038

I'm not sure this is a good buy. I use a good drill usually, but
borrowed a friends 18v Dewalt yesterday, and found it to be pretty
horrible compared to my Festool.
It felt heavy, and was very coarse in its action, the button was
rough/stiff, and the vibration was far more than I'd expect. Also, it
has Nicd batteries - they are being phased out, hence the price
reduction.
The Festool is way over-priced for your friend however, but I think
there are better drills available at that price. I used to have a 14.4v
blue Bosch, and that was far better than the 18v Dewalt I used
yesterday. Screwfix have a blue Bosch at £89, I'd personally prefer that
over the Dewalt.

Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578

Yes, that's reasonable, and will do most jobs around the house.

Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

Waste of money in my opinion. You only really need 4 drill bit sizes for
99% of jobs. 3 and 5mm wood bits. 6 and 8mm masonry bits. Add a couple
of pilot hole bits of 1 or 2mm, a set of assorted driver bits for £5ish,
and a couple of flat spade wood bits of any of 10/12/16/18mm and you
could get all you need for £15.
With that set you will be buying drill bits and screwdriver heads that
will never come out of the box.

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.
Suggestions?

Google search for each task that you need info on. There is a page
describing everything out there, usually from someone who has done it,
made the mstakes, and listed them so that you do not make the same
mistakes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...ni-cd-cordless...
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

--
Mike Barnes

dewalt? cough, spit, nah mate....

MAKITA 8391DWPE 18V Combi Drill + 2 Batts - £100 (via google shopping)
or £150 in B&Q apparently.
should be able to get a Makita drill bit set for a better price too
or Bosch ones are often on special offer and do the job well enough.

oh hang on -
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/displayPr...-2072-00001000
all in one box £120 incl VAT but plus delivery, tho ISTR they usually
have their "web free" delivery option coming around regularly..

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 04:53:01 -0700, Jim K wrote:

On Jun 25, 11:35 am, Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London.
He's coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get
him some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...v-1-3ah-ni-cd-

cordless...
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...ries-60-piece-

set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and
approximate budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

--
Mike Barnes

dewalt? cough, spit, nah mate....

MAKITA 8391DWPE 18V Combi Drill + 2 Batts - £100 (via google shopping)
or £150 in B&Q apparently.
should be able to get a Makita drill bit set for a better price too
or Bosch ones are often on special offer and do the job well enough.

oh hang on -
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?

sku=TL14126&CMP=e-2072-00001000
all in one box £120 incl VAT but plus delivery, tho ISTR they usually
have their "web free" delivery option coming around regularly..

Yebbut...it's free delivery anyway for orders £45.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2011 11:35, Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

(snip)

Angle Grinder, No More Nails, Duck tape, WD-40, Plasma Cutter, Pressure
Washer, Fugenboy, Car Body Filler, Multimaster, TMH promotional fridge
magnet.... Junior Hacksaw ...

Tools of the trade?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
On 25/06/2011 11:35, Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

(snip)

Angle Grinder, No More Nails, Duck tape, WD-40, Plasma Cutter, Pressure
Washer, Fugenboy, Car Body Filler, Multimaster, TMH promotional fridge
magnet.... Junior Hacksaw ...

Tools of the trade?

Surely Gaffer tape, WD40, and a multi-purpose adjustment tool (As
normally used for percussive maintenance) is enough to start with?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian C
scribeth thus
On 25/06/2011 11:35, Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

(snip)

Angle Grinder, No More Nails, Duck tape, WD-40, Plasma Cutter, Pressure
Washer, Fugenboy, Car Body Filler, Multimaster, TMH promotional fridge
magnet.... Junior Hacksaw ...

Tools of the trade?

You forgot "roundtuits" ......
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 8:51 pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Adrian C

Tools of the trade?

You forgot "roundtuits" ......

gappy teeth to whistle through as you draw breath to deliver the price
you think the punter will fall for......

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 1:20*pm, Adrian C wrote:
On 25/06/2011 11:35, Mike Barnes wrote:

Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

(snip)

Angle Grinder, No More Nails, Duck tape, WD-40, Plasma Cutter, Pressure
Washer, Fugenboy, Car Body Filler, Multimaster, TMH promotional fridge
magnet.... Junior Hacksaw ...

Tools of the trade?

And to finish; a hammer, screwdriver(s) and a spirit level. Sorted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...bi-drill/47038
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

Collins DIY manual gets good reviews and Readers Digest used to do one -
if they are still around?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 1:30*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Collins DIY manual gets good reviews and Readers Digest used to do one -
if they are still around?

Charity shop. Plenty of them.

I'd add an expensive book here, "The Construction of Houses" which is
a serious (achitecture degree) textbook on UK domestic housebuilding,
from the Victorians onward.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/072820486X/codesmiths
If you're ever likely to run into an issue that needs serious money
spending, reading this book beforehand is likely to save you a packet
and avoid you being conned by builders or roofers.

Mostly for tools though, have all the tool catalogues you can and just
buy what you need, as you need it, of the best quality you can afford.
A cheap starter kit and snapping up whatever is cheap in Aldi that
week doesn't hurt either. It's too easy to go mad on buying expensive
tools though, especially powered ones. Apart from a really good
cordless drill (£100, Makita or similar) a cheap & cheerful SDS and a
cheap angle grinder (both of these are too cheap to ignore and cheap
ones work well, they just don't last as long), I'd lay off power tools
until they know what they need. Certainly cordless drivers are a waste
and you don't need a circular saw or router until you know you need
one. If you must have a jigsaw, make it a good Bosch or Makita (£150).

For small tools, some other starters would be a Stanley Fat Max tape
measure, Bosch multi-construction drillbits, cheap sets of drillbits
in masonry & basic twist, mixed angle grinder blades, a Screwfix mixed
tin case of screws, a bag of Uno wallplugs, set of good Wera or Wiha
screwdrivers, a really good 12" hacksaw and a few bi-metal blades with
different teeth (two frames isn't a waste if there's already one in
the starter set), a roll of every grit grade of Hiomant sandpaper from
Screwfix and a cork block to put it on, a rubber dish for plaster
retouching and nice paintscrapers or trowels to work it with (Tesco
pale grey handles, oddly) . Grab bargain paintbrush sets when you see
them, it's cheaper than buying ones & twos. Synthetic nylon bristle
for water-based, bristle bristle for oil-based, and a Brushmate box to
keep them in.

Cheap halogen lamp on a stand, esp. for decorating, a good long
extension lead, good torch (LED Lenser), good Workmate (not a cheap
Workmate, not a clone), decent wallpaper pasting table.

Box of disposable vinyl gloves, few pairs of orange gripper gloves,
box of P2 dustmasks with exhale valves, earmuffs (with the first noisy
power tool) and either goggles or a face shield.

A couple of toolbags or boxes help too.

Then a shed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 2:03 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Jun 25, 1:30 pm, Bob Minchin

wrote:
Collins DIY manual gets good reviews and Readers Digest used to do one -
if they are still around?

Charity shop. Plenty of them.

I'd add an expensive book here, "The Construction of Houses" which is
a serious (achitecture degree) textbook on UK domestic housebuilding,
from the Victorians onward.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/072820486X/codesmiths
If you're ever likely to run into an issue that needs serious money
spending, reading this book beforehand is likely to save you a packet
and avoid you being conned by builders or roofers.

snip good stuff

My fave book on this is Mark Brinkley's Housebuilders Bible - latest
edition out a month or so ago

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Housebuilder...dp/1905959443/

interesting analysis on solar PV too Harry.....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...bi-drill/47038

A cordless drill is a waste of money for occasional DIY. The battery will
be flat when you need it on that once a year occasion.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 1:45 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:

Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.
Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:
DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...ni-cd-cordless...

A cordless drill is a waste of money for occasional DIY. The battery will
be flat when you need it on that once a year occasion.

yet in 20 minutes of "advanced preparation" it will magically be
charged & in use whilst the second batt charges too - simples!

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A cordless drill is a waste of money for occasional DIY. The battery will
be flat when you need it on that once a year occasion.

How often are we talking? New people in a new house is going to be
every weekend for starters.

Also a Li-ion drill won't have a problem with this. If you're buying
long term and have the money, I'd spend the £100 up-front and get a
good one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
A cordless drill is a waste of money for occasional DIY. The battery will
be flat when you need it on that once a year occasion.

How often are we talking? New people in a new house is going to be
every weekend for starters.

That's assuming the chap in question wants to do it/is capable. Which I
doubt if he's got to 30 and doesn't own any tools.

Also a Li-ion drill won't have a problem with this. If you're buying
long term and have the money, I'd spend the £100 up-front and get a
good one.

I assumed money is tight. In which case a 20 quid mains drill is far more
use. It can do everything a cordless one can do only better.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 3:20 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:

A cordless drill is a waste of money for occasional DIY. The battery will
be flat when you need it on that once a year occasion.

How often are we talking? New people in a new house is going to be
every weekend for starters.

That's assuming the chap in question wants to do it/is capable. Which I
doubt if he's got to 30 and doesn't own any tools.

Also a Li-ion drill won't have a problem with this. If you're buying
long term and have the money, I'd spend the £100 up-front and get a
good one.

I assumed money is tight. In which case a 20 quid mains drill is far more
use. It can do everything a cordless one can do only better.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

£20 quid mains drills that can easily (beginner remember) screw screws
in/out without "incident" ?? show me where plse! fx rustling £20 note
in hand

Also many are put off by the "mains" tag, perhaps irrationally
associating more risks with 240 than 18v, like using outdoors, in
drizzle, up ladders etc etc

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I assumed money is tight. In which case a 20 quid mains drill is far more
use. It can do everything a cordless one can do only better.

I don't give a damn what he gets, so long as he avoids the ever-so-
popular route of going into B&Q and walking out with a chop saw. A
tool he doesn't need, can't use to do what he does need, he's paid far
too much for, and is likely to lose a finger to.

The main point is to avoid blowing hundreds on pointless power tools.
If he avoids that, he can buy an awful lot of nice screwdrivers for a
few quid each, without worrying too much about the bottom line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2011 11:35, Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...bi-drill/47038

Combi is a good idea, but £130 is a bit OTT for light DIY IMO. And
there are better deals around.

Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578

These kits irritate me. Lots of stuff you will never use and the 23
'pieces' are made up of things like bits & blades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 4:19*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 25/06/2011 11:35, Mike Barnes wrote:

Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
* *http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...ni-cd-cordless...

Combi is a good idea, but £130 is a bit OTT for light DIY IMO. *And
there are better deals around.

Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
* *http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578

These kits irritate me. *Lots of stuff you will never use and the 23
'pieces' are made up of things like bits & blades.

Yeah, the contents are unlikely to match what you really need. For the
bits that are useful, the price is unnecessarily high imho. I'd sooner
buy bits separately and pack them together. Some stuff is ok cheap, eg
tape measures, rulers, spirit levels, pry bars, some stuff is better
if you go up a notch, eg screwdriver bits, pliers, cutters, plastering
tools, drill bits, and some kit one should stick to good quality, eg
mitre saw, circular saw, jigsaw, cordless tools, and so on. The drill
bit set is oerpriced imho, Titan drill bit kits are good, and very
cheap. Do include wood/dowel bits, no just masonry and twist.

You didnt really give us much clue on price or jobs to do.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London.
He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Have you noticed that it's all "her her her"?

Maybe he would prefer she wears some crotchless knickers and a peephole bra
for his 30th birthday instead of receiving a load of DIY tools. It's the
ONLY way he will ever be persuaded to do any DIY stuff around the house:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 6:57*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London.
He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Have you noticed that it's all "her her her"?

Maybe he would prefer she wears some crotchless knickers and a peephole bra
for his 30th birthday instead of receiving a load of DIY tools. It's the
ONLY way he will ever be persuaded to do any DIY stuff around the house:-)

If he really wants to DIY, then a bottle of hand lotion and a pile of
jazz mags are all the kit he needs...

--
Halmyre

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/11 11:35, Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...bi-drill/47038
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

Readers digest DIY book.
Lots more DIY books.

Lots of cheap tools from Aldi and LIDL.

When one wears out it's time to maybe buy a more expensive one.

My Aldi table saw and angle grinders wore out,
but I did abuse them!

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:35:12 +0100, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...bi-drill/47038
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

Over the years I have accumulated a variety of tools but more recently
the most versatile has been the Bosch Multitool.

Cuts wood and metal in confined spaces, powerful sander and there is a
scraper like tool which levels off surfaces quickly.

km
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...bi-drill/47038
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

Over the years I have accumulated a variety of tools but more recently
the most versatile has been the Bosch Multitool.

Cuts wood and metal in confined spaces, powerful sander and there is a
scraper like tool which levels off surfaces quickly.

Is that the green mains one or the blue cordless?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Didn't we overlook the first aid kit he's bound to need?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

wrote:

Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...bi-drill/47038
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

Over the years I have accumulated a variety of tools but more recently
the most versatile has been the Bosch Multitool.

Cuts wood and metal in confined spaces, powerful sander and there is a
scraper like tool which levels off surfaces quickly.

Is that the green mains one or the blue cordless?

I've been using the green, mains version.

I am currently replacing the bathroom suite which requires
repositioning of the basin and changes of pipework. The multitool was
very handy for cutting floorboards (its an old house with solid square
edged floorboards) it also made quick work of cutting off, awkward to
get at, bidet pipework. The cutter also went through the various waste
pipes which were in confined spaces.

A lot quicker and easier than using the wood/metal saws which were the
previous option. Needless to say it is mainly of use in cramped
situations rather than to replace conventional tools.

km
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
*http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...ni-cd-cordless...
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
*http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
*http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

Over the years I have accumulated a variety of tools but more recently
the most versatile has been the Bosch Multitool.

Cuts wood and metal in confined spaces, powerful sander and there is a
scraper like tool which levels off surfaces quickly.

km

I had a task that was just asking for that tool - of all things I had
to raise a kitchen worktop because the t*t who installed it hadn't
taken into account the height of washing machines, etc. Only 10mm was
required. Fortunately not tiled, just faced chip board. So I made a
10mm spacer and diligently used the multitool to cut out a line for a
10mm fillet. Soon enough gave that up as it ate blades and was
tediously slow - the tedium was only relieved by thinking up an
alternative which was the biscuit jointer, which created no end of
mess but did the job in about 2 minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2011 11:35, Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...bi-drill/47038
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

How about a B&D Workmate?

Apart from that just hand tools at first. And buy a few good ones,
nothing puts someone off so much as a bendy spanner and a blunt knife.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 26, 9:59*pm, Andy Champ wrote:

nothing puts someone off so much as a bendy spanner

I'd love a bendy spanner. Big rubber one.

Does anyone know if you can get them as dog toys? A biker mate's dog
would love one too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:31:19 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Jun 26, 9:59*pm, Andy Champ wrote:

nothing puts someone off so much as a bendy spanner

I'd love a bendy spanner. Big rubber one.

Does anyone know if you can get them as dog toys? A biker mate's dog
would love one too.

Metric or Imperial?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
Does anyone know if you can get them as dog toys? A biker mate's dog
would love one too.

Metric or Imperial?

BArk

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

ARC STARTER couppling? [email protected] Metalworking 8 March 2nd 08 10:16 AM
Cost of gas starter fuel vs. starter logs Paul Home Repair 1 November 27th 06 03:22 AM
starter pin Tim Taylor Woodworking 11 October 4th 06 09:30 PM
Magnetic Starter? JB Metalworking 10 April 22nd 05 05:50 PM
FS: Powerlock starter kit. Jeff Bennett Woodturning 0 November 7th 04 06:45 PM