Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default DIY starter kit

Mike Barnes wrote:
Some friends of mine are about to buy their first house, in London. He's
coming up to 30 and hasn't much DIY experience. She wants to get him
some DIY stuff for his birthday and has asked for my advice.

Her provisional list, which I gather came from a (male!) colleague:

DeWalt DC100KA3-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill £130
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc1...bi-drill/47038
Forge Steel Tool Kit 23Pcs £33
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...it-23pcs/96578
Ryobi Drill Bit Accessories 60 Piece Set £32
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ryobi-dril...iece-set/22055

From that you should be able to get an idea of the scope and approximate
budget she's got in mind. I'd also add a good book.

Suggestions?

Collins DIY manual gets good reviews and Readers Digest used to do one -
if they are still around?