Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tower block wall.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I've been press ganged into fitting a wall mounting for a big LCD TV in a
mate's flat. It's a tower block built by the council. It is a solid wall -
the one between his flat and the next one. Obviously, I don't want to
drill right the way through...

I'm intending using Rawlbolts. Have an SDS drill and the correct bit.

What is it likely to be made of and how thick?

You don't need rawlbolts. Just a decent plug and screw- look at the Fischer
range, they'll have something that is suitable. You should get a clean,
tight hole with sds, for the plug but consider gripfill or chemfix if not.
most of the load is vertical, not pulling out from the wall and numerous
'small/shallow' fixings is better than 4 deep anchors. Look at the brackets
available (with tilt, pan and swing out) rather than the standard that
comes with the unit.

If it still goes titsup (and the neighbours lounge shares the same wall)
you can always offer to hang their tv, to cover the holes, free of charge!

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 9:33 pm, Dean Heighington
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

[...]

assuming you haven't knocked theirs off their wall as you hang your
mates'.......

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

assuming you haven't knocked theirs off their wall as you hang your
mates'.......

Possibly tactful to tell the neighbours before you start? How many holes /
how long you expect to take.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Dean Heighington wrote:
You don't need rawlbolts. Just a decent plug and screw- look at the
Fischer range, they'll have something that is suitable.

I like Rawlbolts. If you ever need to remove them you can. And they'll
grip even when you hit a mortar coarse.

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:

assuming you haven't knocked theirs off their wall as you hang your
mates'.......

Possibly tactful to tell the neighbours before you start? How many holes
/ how long you expect to take.

I mentioned this to my mate and he said they don't give a stuff how much
noise *they* make. ;-)

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,

I like Rawlbolts. If you ever need to remove them you can. And they'll
grip even when you hit a mortar coarse.

But they don't like a ****ty wall. Believe me, I gave up using them for
hanging gallows brackets in lofts for just this reason, they can also be a
bit overkill for this situation... Have hung quite a few flatscreens in my
time and the odd rawlbolt can play up and be a pain in the arse. But sup2u
whatever u feel comfortable with... do some test holes behind the tv area
and see what the wall tells you

BTW: your sig about cats... Check out Debbie loves cats on google/YouTube
and see her video for eharmony for a laugh!

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Dean Heighington wrote:
I like Rawlbolts. If you ever need to remove them you can. And they'll
grip even when you hit a mortar coarse.

But they don't like a ****ty wall.

My experience says they're better than any plastic plug and woodscrew type
fixing.

Believe me, I gave up using them for hanging gallows brackets in lofts
for just this reason, they can also be a bit overkill for this
situation... Have hung quite a few flatscreens in my time and the odd
rawlbolt can play up and be a pain in the arse. But sup2u whatever u
feel comfortable with... do some test holes behind the tv area and see
what the wall tells you

Overkill doesn't worry me.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,

My experience says they're better than any plastic plug and woodscrew type
fixing.

Mine tells me they're ok until the hole for them loses uniformity or the
brick cracks under pressure from tightening them and With a predrilled
template like a steel tv bracket you often need the holes exactly
positioned and have no way of knowing what part of the wall fabric you're
hitting until you drill. That's when it might be time to use a 'decent'
wall plug (like the basin hanging variety) and some Rawlchem (or other
polyester resin/2 part).

As I mentioned... It depends on wall- at the point you are drilling. Go for
the anchor bolts but have the other method on standby for disintegrated
holes.

Overkill doesn't worry me.

As long as it works

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

most of the load is vertical, not pulling out from the wall

Not true with:

brackets
available (with tilt, pan and swing out) rather than the standard that
comes with the unit.

MBQ

Yes. Thanks for correcting me on that oversight

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Dean Heighington wrote:
My experience says they're better than any plastic plug and woodscrew type
fixing.

Mine tells me they're ok until the hole for them loses uniformity or the
brick cracks under pressure from tightening them

I suppose if you're using them at the top of a wall where there is little
weight on the bricks this might happen - but it happens with plastic plugs
too. They both rely on expansion to grip. The difference being the bolt
type can exert more pressure. But that's in the hands of the installer.

and With a predrilled
template like a steel tv bracket you often need the holes exactly
positioned and have no way of knowing what part of the wall fabric you're
hitting until you drill. That's when it might be time to use a 'decent'
wall plug (like the basin hanging variety) and some Rawlchem (or other
polyester resin/2 part).

Exactly the same applies to any fixing which relies on expansion to grip.
A resin type being different. However, a suitable sized bolt type will
work in a mortar coarse - unlike a plastic one - due to the greater
possible expansion.

As I mentioned... It depends on wall- at the point you are drilling. Go
for the anchor bolts but have the other method on standby for
disintegrated holes.

Overkill doesn't worry me.

As long as it works

The only possible disadvantage with bolts is they cost a lot more. Which
simply doesn't matter in this case. It might if you're throwing things up
for a living - like satellite dishes - where the profit margin can be
small.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Tower block wall. Jim K[_3_] UK diy 1 June 13th 11 05:53 PM
How to get rid of a cinder block wall???? Lacustral Home Repair 34 September 29th 07 12:11 PM
How to fill hole in brick/block wall? Last block at top? David Pearson UK diy 9 September 29th 05 09:00 PM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM