Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concreting a driveway?

Has any one else tried this with a brick trowel besides my next door
neighbour?

He had 2 cubic metres of concrete dropped off at 12.15 and he is still
trying to lay it.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Has any one else tried this with a brick trowel besides my next door
neighbour?

He had 2 cubic metres of concrete dropped off at 12.15 and he is still
trying to lay it.
--
Adam

Photos or YouTube Please.

Your Next-door neighbours should have their own TV show.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Baz wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Has any one else tried this with a brick trowel besides my next door
neighbour?

He had 2 cubic metres of concrete dropped off at 12.15 and he is
still trying to lay it.
--
Adam

Photos or YouTube Please.

Your Next-door neighbours should have their own TV show.

Later. I am still recordingn and they have not finished yet. When he told me
yesterday that the concrete was coming it was my duty to aim my camera
straight onto their driveway.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 8:08 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Baz wrote:
Photos or YouTube Please.

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/adamko2020/?action=view&curren...

and

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/adamko2020/?action=view&curren...

for the final surface.

The YouTube will take a little longer.

--
Adam

kinell..... lets offroad!!

NB how much of the runoff will come through your fence?......

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
On 13/06/2011 15:50, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
wrote in message
Has any one else tried this with a brick trowel besides my next
door neighbour?

He had 2 cubic metres of concrete dropped off at 12.15 and he is
still trying to lay it.

Photos or YouTube Please.

Your Next-door neighbours should have their own TV show.

Later. I am still recordingn and they have not finished yet. When he
told me yesterday that the concrete was coming it was my duty to aim
my camera straight onto their driveway.

Looking forward to it, as usual!

Does your neighbour know he's a youtube star?

Yes, but he has not seen all the videos:-)

He knows I have cameras and he knows some of them are on YouTube (he likes
the cameras as when his Landie was vandalised he found out who did it) and
he roughly knows the whereabouts of my cameras.

Paul (my neighbour) also asked me to cover his garden as someone was messing
about with his chickens at night. Now what sort of saddo sneaks around and
puts Cadburys Cream Eggs, hard boiled eggs and a cardboard egg box full of
"gold spray painted eggs" into his chicken coup at night?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*wrote:
*wrote in message
[...]

Adam- Hide quoted text -

You are fortunate to have such a rich source of entertainment so
readily to hand! I love the egg prank. It closely resembles the fun
many of the locals had when the Hasholme Boat was discovered and the
area became infested with archaeologists and metal detectorists. Old
tins, bits of ironwork, rotten eggs and much other stuff was buried in
likely spots for them to enjoy finding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:
wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Much better fun than the last lot who lived there. The last tenants were in
their late 50's and alcoholics (one of them was insane).

I love the egg prank. It closely resembles the fun
many of the locals had when the Hasholme Boat was discovered and the
area became infested with archaeologists and metal detectorists. Old
tins, bits of ironwork, rotten eggs and much other stuff was buried in
likely spots for them to enjoy finding.

Paul still thinks that his brother has done the egg pranks.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

cynic wrote:
wrote:
k wrote in message
[...]

I like his Defender ..

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul - xxx wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

cynic wrote:
wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Well we are not far from you. He does the off roading at Frickley.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

cynic wrote:
wrote:
k wrote in message
[...]

Heh, thought I might have seen it before .. but then there's a lot of
Orange ones about recently it seems ..

--
Paul - xxx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8XA5fuxoA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw8rBlJvFcI

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 9:17 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
cynic wrote:
wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

erm where's the stills gone?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul - xxx wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Well we are not far from you. He does the off roading at Frickley.

Heh, thought I might have seen it before .. but then there's a lot of
Orange ones about recently it seems ..

It was green last year.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw8rBlJvFcI

Lucky it'd half gone off when he tipped the barrow, saved him losing it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Jun 13, 8:08 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/adamko2020/?action=view¤...
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/adamko2020/?action=view¤...
for the final surface.

What's the spirit level used for?

Levelling the girlfriend.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Jun 13, 3:08 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
Has any one else tried this with a brick trowel besides my next door
neighbour?
He had 2 cubic metres of concrete dropped off at 12.15 and he is
still trying to lay it.

Can you do time-lapse video?

Already linked to them,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8XA5fuxoA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw8rBlJvFcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toDV9M5BVXE

and the final one will up later.

My cat has been eyeing the concrete up, so expect some paw prints in the
morning.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:08:26 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

for the final surface.

That'll be fun with a frost on it...

Did they get another load or is what we saw arrive in the vid it? If
so it can't be very thick, how long do you think it will be before
it's started to crack and breakup? Will they keep the cars off it
until it's properly cured (couple of weeks)?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 22:44:28 +0100, ARWadsworth
wrote:

My cat has been eyeing the concrete up, so expect some paw prints in the
morning.

No:

http://www.picturesof.net/_images/a_...er_a_wall_roya
lty_free_080905-221246-717018.jpg

B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:08:26 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

for the final surface.

That'll be fun with a frost on it...

Did they get another load or is what we saw arrive in the vid it? If
so it can't be very thick, how long do you think it will be before
it's started to crack and breakup? Will they keep the cars off it
until it's properly cured (couple of weeks)?

You have seen the end product. Between 2 and 4 inchs thick.

The CCTV is playing up ATM but I do have clip of Paul asking "Adam, do you
believe that I have done all that with just this trowel?" And that was after
I started the thread!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Did they get another load or is what we saw arrive in the vid it? If
so it can't be very thick, how long do you think it will be before
it's started to crack and breakup? Will they keep the cars off it
until it's properly cured (couple of weeks)?

Will the handbrakes last that long?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Did they get another load or is what we saw arrive in the vid it? If
so it can't be very thick, how long do you think it will be before
it's started to crack and breakup? Will they keep the cars off it
until it's properly cured (couple of weeks)?

Will the handbrakes last that long?

I don't care. I bought the girlfriend a Mini on Sunday, hid it away until
this morning and then gave it to her (no rude comments please). Now some
****** pulled out in front of her and wrote it off a few hours ago.

And it was a proper Mini not a rebaged BMW.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Has any one else tried this with a brick trowel besides my next door
neighbour?

Given the majority of it was levelled with the trowel, it looked no
worse than the initial bit levelled with the length of wood, he seemed
to find some sort of float in the last few seconds ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My cat has been eyeing the concrete up, so expect some paw prints in the
morning.

No:

http://www.picturesof.net/_images/a_...er_a_wall_roya
lty_free_080905-221246-717018.jpg

B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

I think it will have gone off before the cat has much chance to make
its mark. Readymix is unforgiving stuff if you dont get it down
sharpish once it has been tipped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:

I think it will have gone off before the cat has much chance to make
its mark. Readymix is unforgiving stuff if you dont get it down
sharpish once it has been tipped.

I doubt very much that the cat could have damaged the finished surface:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:

I think it will have gone off before the cat has much chance to make
its mark. Readymix is unforgiving stuff if you dont get it down
sharpish once it has been tipped.

Indeed. I was watching some guys repairing concrete hard standing
at work a few hot summers ago. It seemed to be a full load, to be
spread over an irregular area, about 6 inches deep. They lost the
struggle, didn't manage to level it, and ended up having to dig
it all out again a few days later.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul - xxx wrote:

I like his Defender ..

A better picture for you here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0577.jpg

The wheels should all be like the ones on the rear, however the front tyres
were slashed a few weeks ago.

When he's back off roading I'll let you know, you can have a go in it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 11:02 am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Paul - xxx wrote:

I like his Defender ..

A better picture for you here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0577.jpg

The wheels should all be like the ones on the rear, however the front tyres
were slashed a few weeks ago.

When he's back off roading I'll let you know, you can have a go in it.

--
Adam

note the traditional handbrake "upgrade".. ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Paul - xxx wrote:

I like his Defender ..

A better picture for you here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0577.jpg

The wheels should all be like the ones on the rear, however the
front tyres were slashed a few weeks ago.

When he's back off roading I'll let you know, you can have a go in
it.

--
Adam

note the traditional handbrake "upgrade".. ;)

Oh Yes, and the first time a car/Landie goes through the front of their
house I will upload camera 4 to YouTube.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Paul - xxx wrote:

I like his Defender ..

A better picture for you here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0577.jpg

The wheels should all be like the ones on the rear, however the front tyres
were slashed a few weeks ago.

aha - could cam4 have a new "sponsor" soon? ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:

I like his Defender ..

A better picture for you here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0577.jpg

The wheels should all be like the ones on the rear, however the front
tyres were slashed a few weeks ago.

When he's back off roading I'll let you know, you can have a go in it.

I thought the fronts looked a tad 'normal' ..

I haven't been out for a while, currently on SORN while I attend to a
few minor issues .. and a temporary (hopefully) cashflow deficit
situation ..

--
Paul - xxx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul - xxx wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:

I like his Defender ..

A better picture for you here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0577.jpg

The wheels should all be like the ones on the rear, however the front
tyres were slashed a few weeks ago.

When he's back off roading I'll let you know, you can have a go in
it.

I thought the fronts looked a tad 'normal' ..

I haven't been out for a while, currently on SORN while I attend to a
few minor issues .. and a temporary (hopefully) cashflow deficit
situation ..

You can still join us even if you have not got your 4WD.

Your emails is not valid so I'll ask via the group, can you recommend
somewhere out Donny way for off roading?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:

I like his Defender ..

A better picture for you here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0577.jpg

The wheels should all be like the ones on the rear, however the
front tyres were slashed a few weeks ago.

When he's back off roading I'll let you know, you can have a go in
it.

I thought the fronts looked a tad 'normal' ..

I haven't been out for a while, currently on SORN while I attend to
a few minor issues .. and a temporary (hopefully) cashflow deficit
situation ..

You can still join us even if you have not got your 4WD.

Your emails is not valid so I'll ask via the group, can you recommend
somewhere out Donny way for off roading?

Just off Bawtry road, Hurst Lane towards Finningley/Robin Hood Airport.
Can't remember the name of the place I've only been once and it's
mostly only on once a month, but I can find out later so I'll post back.

Located here ..

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.4...,0.154324&z=13

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6b78hcy

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:
Has any one else tried this with a brick trowel besides my next door
neighbour?

He had 2 cubic metres of concrete dropped off at 12.15 and he is still
trying to lay it.

My dad did his driveway in sections.
For the first section, he probably underestimated the work,
and the readymix driver got out and helped spread it (this
was about 55 years ago;-). He was OK on the other sections
though.

Their neighbour at the time was keen on servicing his car,
and having seen my dad doing our drive, decided to do his.
He dug a service pit and lined it with shuttering ready
for the readymix lorry. Lorry turned up and dumped its
pile. They set to, spreading it, dropping it down the
shuttering, and got it all in place in time. However,
there was still a large pile of unused concrete on the
drive - they'd ordered much too much. After a lot of
pondering on what you do with a large pile of surpless
cement which is going hard, it ended up being pushed into
the pit, as there was nowhere else to put it.

The house has changed hands many times since then, and
we always wondered what would happen if someone moved in
and decided to dig up the garage floor to make a pit, only
to find 6' of solid concrete:-) Fortunately pits have now
gone out of fashion, and DIY car servicing too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Paul - xxx wrote:

I like his Defender ..

A better picture for you here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0577.jpg

The wheels should all be like the ones on the rear, however the front tyres
were slashed a few weeks ago.

Nice neighbourhood, no wonder you have CCTV! Hope they found the
towrags that did it.

When he's back off roading I'll let you know, you can have a go in it.

DVLA has some interesting things to say about it.

The vehicle details for H210 GFW a

Date of Liability 01 03 2011
Date of First Registration 10 04 1991
Year of Manufacture 1991
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2495CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour GREEN
Vehicle Type Approval

And ASKMID has no record of it.

Does he use it on the road and has he informed them of the colour
change?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DVLA has some interesting things to say about it.

The vehicle details for H210 GFW a

That was interesting. How do you get that for someone else's car?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike wrote:
DVLA has some interesting things to say about it.

The vehicle details for H210 GFW a

That was interesting. How do you get that for someone else's car?

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Evl...ehicle+Enquiry

You need to know the registration number and make.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2011 08:40, John Williamson wrote:
MuddyMike wrote:
DVLA has some interesting things to say about it.

The vehicle details for H210 GFW a

That was interesting. How do you get that for someone else's car?

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Evl...ehicle+Enquiry

A few years ago I completed a similar enquiry just to see what
information they had on my car. The information I got back indicated
that I had skipped a whole year without MOT(!), but had insurance and
road tax OK.

So after that little excitement, I got the car MOT'd pretty damm quick
lest there was some big brother programmed subroutine on the website like..

"well, now he's aware of his mistake - let's see if he does anything
about it..."

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Paul - xxx wrote:

I like his Defender ..

A better picture for you here.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/100_0577.jpg

The wheels should all be like the ones on the rear, however the
front tyres were slashed a few weeks ago.

Nice neighbourhood, no wonder you have CCTV! Hope they found the
towrags that did it.

His exs new bloke slashed the tyres.

When he's back off roading I'll let you know, you can have a go in
it.

DVLA has some interesting things to say about it.

The vehicle details for H210 GFW a

Date of Liability 01 03 2011
Date of First Registration 10 04 1991
Year of Manufacture 1991
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2495CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour GREEN
Vehicle Type Approval

And ASKMID has no record of it.

Does he use it on the road and has he informed them of the colour
change?

He's not the sort of person that will notify the DVLA of a colour change!

It must be insured as he was stopped for not wearing a seatbelt last week.
The police brought him back to the house to produce the documents as he was
only half a mile from home. If the insurance was not valid then they would
have taken the car.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 08:51:55 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Evl...n?origin=vnav_
bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refres h&pageid=Vehicle+Enq
uiry

Must be a cookie set somewhere that just gives a "Page Timed Out"
now.

Choose "Vehicle Enquiry" from:

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk

B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:21:32 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Date of Liability 01 03 2011

snip
Vehicle Status Unlicensed

If the insurance was not valid then they would have taken the car.

And they didn't notice the tax disc? Odd... Maybe "last week" is
longer ago that you remember. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.