Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loose bath tap - difficult to get at.

Two years ago I completely replaced my son's bathroom. They chose a
double-ended bath with taps in the middle and at the wall side of the bath.

Realising how difficult it would be to tighten up the tap nuts once the bath
was in situ - I made sure that the nuts were as tight as possible before
installing the bath. Unfortunately, the nuts were nylon and just not
possible to get as tight as metal nuts.

The inevitable has now happened, and one of the taps has worked loose, and
the whole tap body turns with the handle.

I have removed the bath side panel and, using an adjustable 'spring loaded'
tap wrench, can just about reach the tap nut by lying on my back and
reaching underneath the bath - but I just cannot get it to turn. It's very
difficult to see what I'm doing, of course, - although using a small mirror
leaning at an angle against the wall beneath the bath, enables me to get a
view up to the tap nuts.

I'm now at a loss as to how to resolve the problem. I've even thought of
trying to get some type of glue underneath the base of the tap but there is
a rubber washer there that would probably fox that idea - and also there
will be soap residue beneath the taps that would probably prevent any glue
from adhering effectively.

If my son and his wife had taken my advice and chosen a 'one piece' bath tap
unit, this problem would not have arisen - but they wanted 'antique' style
separate taps...

So, anyone got any ideas on how to sort this problem (without taking the
bath out!!)?

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 9:21*am, "Ret." wrote:
[...]

A visit to your local plumber's supplier to get brass nuts and a set
of tap back nut box spanners (if you don't have those already) is
called for. And then you can also do what you originally should have
done is to tell your 'children' that daddy knows better and fit a one
piece tap set regardless of protests - or at least say that it's that
or pay (!!!) their own plumber to do the job.

You will need to drop the tails to get at the nuts but at least the
existing taps should be easy enough to get off now!

Rob
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
On Jun 13, 9:21 am, "Ret." wrote:
[...]

A more drastic solution is cut a hole the other side of the wall through to
the bathroom
fix the tap, and cover hole with a removable cover for any future problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2011 09:21, Ret. wrote:

So, anyone got any ideas on how to sort this problem (without taking the
bath out!!)?

Well, I suppose you could take the wall down instead! g
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polly filler wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message
On Jun 13, 9:21 am, "Ret." wrote:
[...]

It's an outside wall!

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/06/2011 09:21, Ret. wrote:

So, anyone got any ideas on how to sort this problem (without taking
the bath out!!)?

Well, I suppose you could take the wall down instead! g

LOL!

Yes - it's an outside wall unfortunately. If it was a stud wall it wouldn't
be so much of a problem!

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On Jun 13, 9:21 am, "Ret." wrote:
[...]

Yes, I may have to do something like this. I did fit tails with isolating
valves, and so I can shut off the water to the taps without having to turn
off the mains water completely.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Ret." saying
something like:

If my son and his wife had taken my advice and chosen a 'one piece' bath tap
unit, this problem would not have arisen - but they wanted 'antique' style
separate taps...

So, anyone got any ideas on how to sort this problem (without taking the
bath out!!)?

****'em. Why should you sort out their problem when they went against
your advice? Let them pay for a plumber.