Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default reviving putty

Can I use mineral oil to revive glazing putty which has started to dry
out (but not completely set)?

It seems to work, as in a few drops gets things back to the right
consistency - but I think it's linseed oil that I've heard recommended
for this before, and I'm not sure if mineral oil will cause problems
later on (assuming it allows the putty to harden at all)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message

Can I use mineral oil to revive glazing putty which has started to dry
out (but not completely set)?

It seems to work, as in a few drops gets things back to the right
consistency - but I think it's linseed oil that I've heard recommended
for this before, and I'm not sure if mineral oil will cause problems
later on (assuming it allows the putty to harden at all)

When I were a lad 'twas always linseed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message

Can I use mineral oil to revive glazing putty which has started to dry
out (but not completely set)?

Linseed oil reacts with air and forms a solid resin like material.
Mineral oil would only ensure that the putty remains soft in perpetuity.

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 1:32*am, "Alan" wrote:
"Jules Richardson" wrote in message

Can I use mineral oil to revive glazing putty which has started to dry
out (but not completely set)?

Linseed oil reacts with air and forms a solid resin like material.
Mineral oil would only ensure that the putty remains soft in perpetuity.

Alan

exactly, dont do it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 01:32:50 +0100, Alan wrote:
Linseed oil reacts with air and forms a solid resin like material.
Mineral oil would only ensure that the putty remains soft in perpetuity.

OK, scratch that idea, then :-) Thanks!

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2011 01:32, Alan wrote:
"Jules wrote in message

Can I use mineral oil to revive glazing putty which has started to dry
out (but not completely set)?

Linseed oil reacts with air and forms a solid resin like material.
Mineral oil would only ensure that the putty remains soft in perpetuity.

Alan

Interesting thought. Given the hardening and eventual cracking of
linseed putty, maybe a non-setting version would be an improvement. That
said, the mineral oil would probably just migrate to the surface and
collect grime in perpetuity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Given the hardening and eventual cracking of
linseed putty, maybe a non-setting version would be an improvement.

Only in some senses perhaps: when I were a nipper the tea-leafs looked
for new windows 'cos they could quietly remove the soft putty and lift
out the glass.

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2011 09:27, Robin wrote:
Given the hardening and eventual cracking of
linseed putty, maybe a non-setting version would be an improvement.

Only in some senses perhaps: when I were a nipper the tea-leafs looked
for new windows 'cos they could quietly remove the soft putty and lift
out the glass.

Blimey, there must have been things worth pinching in those days.
While doing my contents insurance the other day, it occurred to me that
individual items worth more than £1000 have I none. More than £100
precious little either
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 10/06/2011 09:27, Robin wrote:
Given the hardening and eventual cracking of
linseed putty, maybe a non-setting version would be an improvement.

Only in some senses perhaps: when I were a nipper the tea-leafs looked
for new windows 'cos they could quietly remove the soft putty and lift
out the glass.

Blimey, there must have been things worth pinching in those days.
While doing my contents insurance the other day, it occurred to me that
individual items worth more than £1000 have I none. More than £100
precious little either

That's cos you spend your money on wine, women, song and just waste the rest