Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing Curtain Poles

Had to fix a pole for a friend yesterday. The son had already started but
gave up when he couldn't drill a hole in the lintel. I thought at first it
must be steel but a small HSS drill couldn't touch it. I assumed it must
therefore be concrete and tried my SDS hammer drill successfully without
bringing the whole lot down. Now, I think I was lucky to get away with it,
but what would the team have done in this situation?

Lawrence

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2011 20:56, Lawrence wrote:
Had to fix a pole for a friend yesterday. The son had already started
but gave up when he couldn't drill a hole in the lintel. I thought at
first it must be steel but a small HSS drill couldn't touch it. I
assumed it must therefore be concrete and tried my SDS hammer drill
successfully without bringing the whole lot down. Now, I think I was
lucky to get away with it, but what would the team have done in this
situation?

Lawrence

Lucky to get away with what?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2011 20:56, Lawrence wrote:
Had to fix a pole for a friend yesterday. The son had already started
but gave up when he couldn't drill a hole in the lintel. I thought at
first it must be steel but a small HSS drill couldn't touch it. I
assumed it must therefore be concrete and tried my SDS hammer drill
successfully without bringing the whole lot down. Now, I think I was
lucky to get away with it, but what would the team have done in this
situation?

Masonary bit in a hammer drill with ear defenders. Some cursing & swearing.

Or a rawldrill / rawltool and a hammer for the nostalgic and patient.

Or alternatively an oversized plank of wood to bypass the lintel so that
normal fixings can be made into brick etc...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:

On 09/06/2011 20:56, Lawrence wrote:
Had to fix a pole for a friend yesterday. The son had already started
but gave up when he couldn't drill a hole in the lintel. I thought at
first it must be steel but a small HSS drill couldn't touch it. I
assumed it must therefore be concrete and tried my SDS hammer drill
successfully without bringing the whole lot down. Now, I think I was
lucky to get away with it, but what would the team have done in this
situation?

Masonary bit in a hammer drill with ear defenders. Some cursing &
swearing.

Or a rawldrill / rawltool and a hammer for the nostalgic and patient.

Or alternatively an oversized plank of wood to bypass the lintel so that
normal fixings can be made into brick etc...

I had a couple of bad holes like that. Got about an inch in (aiming for
1.5"). I just cut the plugs back and stuffed some araldite in the hole - did
the trick very nicely, good firm fixing.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 9, 8:56*pm, "Lawrence" wrote:
Had to fix a pole for a friend yesterday. *The son had already started but
gave up when he couldn't drill a hole in the lintel. *I thought at first it
must be steel but a small HSS drill couldn't touch it. *I assumed it must
therefore be concrete and tried my SDS hammer drill successfully without
bringing the whole lot down. *Now, I think I was lucky to get away with it,
but what would the team have done in this situation?

Lawrence

The agregate used in the lintel was probably either granite or quartz.
Both very hard stones. A small hammer drill won't touch either of
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2011 23:29, Tim Watts wrote:
Adrian C wrote:

[...]

I tend to try and go above the lintel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:25:38 +0100, DerbyBoy wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

On Jun 9, 8:56 pm, "Lawrence" wrote:
Had to fix a pole for a friend yesterday. The son had already started but
gave up when he couldn't drill a hole in the lintel. I thought at first
it
must be steel but a small HSS drill couldn't touch it. I assumed it must
therefore be concrete and tried my SDS hammer drill successfully without
bringing the whole lot down. Now, I think I was lucky to get away with
it,
but what would the team have done in this situation?

Lawrence

The agregate used in the lintel was probably either granite or quartz.
Both very hard stones. A small hammer drill won't touch either of
them.

Rawldrill and hammer - those were the days!

Yes, 'fond' memories of many hours trying to do a few holes.
The Makita combi won't touch these lintels but the Lidli SDS takes a few
seconds per hole.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC
saying something like:

Rawldrill and hammer - those were the days!

And the kids today would'nt believe you.

Yes, 'fond' memories of many hours trying to do a few holes.

Ditto. Such effort for so little reward - mind you, it made one develop
an aptitude for the easier solution/better positioning, etc.

The Makita combi won't touch these lintels but the Lidli SDS takes a few
seconds per hole.

SDS has turned us into softies. I love it though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

On Jun 9, 8:56 pm, wrote:
Had to fix a pole for a friend yesterday. The son had already started but
gave up when he couldn't drill a hole in the lintel. I thought at first
it
must be steel but a small HSS drill couldn't touch it. I assumed it must
therefore be concrete and tried my SDS hammer drill successfully without
bringing the whole lot down. Now, I think I was lucky to get away with
it,
but what would the team have done in this situation?

Lawrence

The agregate used in the lintel was probably either granite or quartz.
Both very hard stones. A small hammer drill won't touch either of
them.

Rawldrill and hammer - those were the days!

Yes, 'fond' memories of many hours trying to do a few holes.

If you think about it - its the same principal as an SDS - thump, turn,
thump, turn.

Someone here worked out the joules involved a while ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

If you think about it - its the same principal as an SDS - thump, turn, thump, turn.

Someone here worked out the joules involved a while ago.

The mere mention of the words "curtain poles" make me wanna head for the
shed {that's the one at the bottom of the garden, not the one at the retail
park }

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 18:31:07 +0000 (UTC), Dean Heighington wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

If you think about it - its the same principal as an SDS - thump, turn, thump, turn.

Someone here worked out the joules involved a while ago.

The mere mention of the words "curtain poles" make me wanna head for the
shed {that's the one at the bottom of the garden, not the one at the retail
park }

Same here. I like the curtains to be close to the wall, so I bend in the end
of each rail and also have some overlap.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2011 19:31, Dean Heighington wrote:
The Medway wrote:

If you think about it - its the same principal as an SDS - thump, turn, thump, turn.

Someone here worked out the joules involved a while ago.

The mere mention of the words "curtain poles" make me wanna head for the
shed {that's the one at the bottom of the garden, not the one at the retail
park }

I fit dozens of the buggers. Last week I fitted 10 window blinds (into
the soffit) & 5 large curtain poles in the same house.

Thank God for SDS drills :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I fit dozens of the buggers. Last week I fitted 10 window blinds (into
the soffit) & 5 large curtain poles in the same house.

Thank God for SDS drills :-)

Until you hit a catnic

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

fixing curtain rail in bay window andrew UK diy 3 July 26th 10 11:30 PM
Curtain poles Keith Dunbar UK diy 2 June 18th 07 08:58 AM
Curtain poles at Aldi The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 1 August 20th 06 11:01 AM
Genuine oak curtain poles Est UK diy 12 January 18th 06 10:17 AM
Curtain poles JoeBhoy UK diy 2 November 26th 04 04:14 PM