Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Render- what am I doing wrong?

2 weeks ago I scratch coated a brick boundary wall, 2 x 5 mtr, 1 to 4
mix (50 year old render fell off) no problems with it apart from an
aching back.
Today got on with the final coat, 1 to 5 mix, applied around 6 m2 and
went in to get a drink, came outside again and saw that about 3/4 had
fallen of the wall so went back in for a stronger drink to ponder the
situation.
Any ideas? I scratched the first coat so did not use PVA and hosed down
the wall, I am wondering if I counted the wrong mix of cement as I was
distracted at the time (no not with a busty girl walking by but the
swmbo, mind you she is not short in that department but that is sadly a
distant memory)

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 7, 3:44*pm, Corporal Jones
wrote:
[...]

Possibly too hot a day, direct bright (hot) sun etc

Assume yr using opc/sand not lime/sand
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Corporal Jones" wrote in message
[...]

What I do is get a bucket of water and a large paint brush and flick water
on to the area to be rendered. This stops the wall being thirsty and sucking
the moisture out of the new render.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Corporal Jones writes:
2 weeks ago I scratch coated a brick boundary wall, 2 x 5 mtr, 1 to 4
mix (50 year old render fell off) no problems with it apart from an
aching back.
Today got on with the final coat, 1 to 5 mix, applied around 6 m2 and
went in to get a drink, came outside again and saw that about 3/4 had
fallen of the wall so went back in for a stronger drink to ponder the
situation.
Any ideas? I scratched the first coat so did not use PVA and hosed down
the wall, I am wondering if I counted the wrong mix of cement as I was
distracted at the time (no not with a busty girl walking by but the
swmbo, mind you she is not short in that department but that is sadly a
distant memory)

That problem is existing render too dry, and has sucked too much
water out of the finish coat. A second problem (which you didn't
get as far as hitting) is that the finish coat probably won't
bond very well to the scratch coat.

For sand and cement, finish coat should be done 24-48 hours after
scratch coat. This is for two reasons - the scratch coat moisture
level will be about right for the finish coat to stick, and the
scratch coat is still setting and will cross-bond with the finish
coat.

At this point, I suspect you'll need to do it as for a reskim.
That means water to kill the suction in the scratch coat, probably
mixed with a bonding agent to help the finish coat stick to the
scratch coat. I'm not sure what bonding agent to suggest.
PVA is water soluable so might not last for too long outside.
EVA (Exterior PVA) is more water resistant, but only in a cement
matrix (not as a bare glue), so it might work. SBR is probably
too waterproof and might lock moisture in the wall.
A cement slurry is sometimes used as a bonding agent.
Maybe someone else can suggest the right bonding agent?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2011 18:09, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
Corporal writes:
[...]

IME pva is fine. It doesn't need to be waterproof as its only purpose is
to partially seal the scratch coat long enough for the final coat to
set. If you overseal, the next coat tends to slide initially but, once
suction takes over, it hangs on ok

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Corporal writes:
[...]

OK will cover with PVA tomorrow & have another go!

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"
Life will go on albeit somewhat reduced

Posted to uk.d-i-y

* * Corporal *writes:
[...]

Life will go on albeit somewhat reduced- Hide quoted text -

Mix a little sand, cement, water and PVA in a bucket and brush this on
after the PVA coat on the wall.
Put your next coat on while this is still wet.
This helps a lot,
Be sure to "nip" the mix as you apply when you come to the end of a
stroke.

Another render mix question Robin UK diy 1 September 7th 10 08:55 AM
Wiki: Render [email protected] UK diy 2 April 27th 09 05:06 AM
Resin render No Name UK diy 11 October 2nd 07 04:32 PM
Mix for S&C render please? Kalico UK diy 3 October 21st 05 01:34 PM
Render. Picker UK diy 1 July 24th 05 03:21 PM