Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom Lighting

I understand that the regulations don't allow light switches in
bathrooms. For this purpose, what does 'in' mean?

I have an L shaped bathroom, door at the end of the short limb, bath at
the end of the long limb. Long limb 2m wide x 3m long, short limb 75cm
long x 1m wide.

I'd really like to put a standard light switch in the room by the
door. The switch would not be in line of sight from the bath or
shower, it is definitely "Outside zones". I can't stand pull switches
near doors!

So is this permitted?

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:39:32 +0100
TheOldFellow wrote:

I understand that the regulations don't allow light switches in
bathrooms. For this purpose, what does 'in' mean?

I have an L shaped bathroom, door at the end of the short limb, bath
at the end of the long limb. Long limb 2m wide x 3m long, short limb
75cm long x 1m wide.

I'd really like to put a standard light switch in the room by the
door. The switch would not be in line of sight from the bath or
shower, it is definitely "Outside zones". I can't stand pull switches
near doors!

So is this permitted?

R.

Does this help?
http://www.allupandon.co.uk/bathroom...s-diagram.html
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:48:42 +0100
Davey wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:39:32 +0100
TheOldFellow wrote:

I understand that the regulations don't allow light switches in
bathrooms. For this purpose, what does 'in' mean?

I have an L shaped bathroom, door at the end of the short limb, bath
at the end of the long limb. Long limb 2m wide x 3m long, short
limb 75cm long x 1m wide.

I'd really like to put a standard light switch in the room by the
door. The switch would not be in line of sight from the bath or
shower, it is definitely "Outside zones". I can't stand pull
switches near doors!

So is this permitted?

R.

Does this help?
http://www.allupandon.co.uk/bathroom...s-diagram.html

Thanks, but no it doesn't. If I read it the way I want to, then I can
put the switch where I want it, it is well outside the zones. But other
advice says 'no light switches in the bathroom'. As I don't have copy
of the 17th ed. regs, and this is my last electrical project, I was
hoping some real electrician, like Adam, might help me with a simple
answer!

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
I understand that the regulations don't allow light switches in
bathrooms. For this purpose, what does 'in' mean?

I have an L shaped bathroom, door at the end of the short limb, bath at
the end of the long limb. Long limb 2m wide x 3m long, short limb 75cm
long x 1m wide.

I'd really like to put a standard light switch in the room by the
door. The switch would not be in line of sight from the bath or
shower, it is definitely "Outside zones". I can't stand pull switches
near doors!

So is this permitted?

R.

Alternatively you might try a bathroom switch from these folk.
http://www.sensor.co.uk/switches/

No connection with them, just a satisfied customer.
They are also very helpful.

Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 5:39*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
I understand that the regulations don't allow light switches in
bathrooms. *For this purpose, what does 'in' mean?

I have an L shaped bathroom, door at the end of the short limb, bath at
the end of the long limb. *Long limb 2m wide x 3m long, short limb 75cm
long x 1m wide.

I'd really like to put a standard light switch in the room by the
door. The switch would not be in line of sight from the bath or
shower, it is definitely "Outside zones". *I can't stand pull switches
near doors!

So is this permitted?

R.

You could use waterproof switches (outdoor type) or vanilla mains ones
on SELV operating a relay.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:48:42 +0100
Davey wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:39:32 +0100
TheOldFellow wrote:

[...]

As long as you have RCD protection and the switch cannot be operated by
someone in the bath or shower then I would say that it is OK.

http://smdelectricalservices.co.uk/ESW/Files/Pocket_Guide_1-2_(Guide_to_siting_equipment_in_a_location_contain ing_a_bath_or_shower).pdf

--
Adam

Bathroom lighting? mike UK diy 13 April 24th 07 10:14 PM
Bathroom Lighting Vass UK diy 1 November 7th 05 09:21 PM
bathroom lighting frank spencer UK diy 0 May 16th 05 12:54 PM
LV Lighting in Bathroom Jeff UK diy 8 August 22nd 03 04:35 PM
Halogen Lighting in Bathroom Ian Clarke UK diy 15 August 1st 03 10:25 AM