Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lidl £4.99 LED torch.

Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

By the time I got there the reason it didn't work was apparent..
the whole thing was too hot to hold as there was a short in it.
Good job it wasn't a 10 minute walk or things might have got serious.

Moral.. always remove the batts from faulty products.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

Are you sure they were the right way round?

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

Are you sure they were the right way round?

And how would that explain the short?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2011 10:03, dennis@home wrote:
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

By the time I got there the reason it didn't work was apparent..
the whole thing was too hot to hold as there was a short in it.
Good job it wasn't a 10 minute walk or things might have got serious.

Moral.. always remove the batts from faulty products.

"red leader, red leader. device failed! device failed!!, over?"

"copy that..."

"what do we do now...."

"go to plan B"

"what? the Angle Grinder with the dodgy internally fractured discs?"

"yes! but will he buy it?"

"half price it, he will. Out!"

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

Are you sure they were the right way round?

And how would that explain the short?

Does it need explaining that an LED torch isn't the same as a tungsten one?

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

Are you sure they were the right way round?

And how would that explain the short?

Does it need explaining that an LED torch isn't the same as a tungsten
one?

Does it need explaining that they don't break if you do put them in
backwards?
Its the sort of thing that people do so its a requirement that no damage is
done by inserting them incorrectly these days.
I expect you have never actually looked at one, or anything else that takes
batteries sold in the last decade or two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

Are you sure they were the right way round?

And how would that explain the short?

Does it need explaining that an LED torch isn't the same as a tungsten
one?

Does it need explaining that they don't break if you do put them in
backwards? Its the sort of thing that people do so its a requirement
that no damage is done by inserting them incorrectly these days. I
expect you have never actually looked at one, or anything else that
takes batteries sold in the last decade or two.

Normally I'd agree with this. But it is you we're talking about.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

Are you sure they were the right way round?

And how would that explain the short?

Does it need explaining that an LED torch isn't the same as a tungsten
one?

Does it need explaining that they don't break if you do put them in
backwards? Its the sort of thing that people do so its a requirement
that no damage is done by inserting them incorrectly these days. I
expect you have never actually looked at one, or anything else that
takes batteries sold in the last decade or two.

Normally I'd agree with this. But it is you we're talking about.

Your self esteem must be even lower than what I think of you.
The stuff is design so that even idiots like you don't break it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Does it need explaining that they don't break if you do put them in
backwards? Its the sort of thing that people do so its a requirement
that no damage is done by inserting them incorrectly these days. I
expect you have never actually looked at one, or anything else that
takes batteries sold in the last decade or two.

Normally I'd agree with this. But it is you we're talking about.

Your self esteem must be even lower than what I think of you.
The stuff is design so that even idiots like you don't break it.

Quite. But then it's you who's broken it. I never have a problem with
anything like this from Lidl.

--
*No I haven't stolen it , I'm just a **** driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Does it need explaining that they don't break if you do put them in
backwards? Its the sort of thing that people do so its a requirement
that no damage is done by inserting them incorrectly these days. I
expect you have never actually looked at one, or anything else that
takes batteries sold in the last decade or two.

Normally I'd agree with this. But it is you we're talking about.

Your self esteem must be even lower than what I think of you.
The stuff is design so that even idiots like you don't break it.

Quite. But then it's you who's broken it. I never have a problem with
anything like this from Lidl.

So how many of the LED torches have you bought then?
It would help me get an idea of how statistically useful your comments are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

By the time I got there the reason it didn't work was apparent..
the whole thing was too hot to hold as there was a short in it.
Good job it wasn't a 10 minute walk or things might have got serious.

Moral.. always remove the batts from faulty products.

Wow dennis lucky escape

just imagine what could have happened if you'd shoved it up your arse
before you found out

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

dennis@home wrote:
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

Are you sure they were the right way round?

And how would that explain the short?

Does it need explaining that an LED torch isn't the same as a
tungsten one?

Does it need explaining that they don't break if you do put them in
backwards?

Like I said ...

lucky escape

that could have been your whole career as a cocaine mule ruined

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

dennis@home wrote:
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

Are you sure they were the right way round?

And how would that explain the short?

Does it need explaining that an LED torch isn't the same as a tungsten
one?

Does it need explaining that they don't break if you do put them in
backwards? Its the sort of thing that people do so its a requirement
that no damage is done by inserting them incorrectly these days. I
expect you have never actually looked at one, or anything else that
takes batteries sold in the last decade or two.

Normally I'd agree with this. But it is you we're talking about.

Your self esteem must be even lower than what I think of you.
The stuff is design so that even idiots like you don't break it.

You didn't use a hacksaw on it, by any chance, did you denboi ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2011 10:03, dennis@home wrote:
Lidl have some very bright (60+lm) torches.
I just bought one, put the batts in and it didn't work.
Took it back.

By the time I got there the reason it didn't work was apparent..
the whole thing was too hot to hold as there was a short in it.
Good job it wasn't a 10 minute walk or things might have got serious.

Moral.. always remove the batts from faulty products.

Have you grassed up Lidl to the battery police?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Does it need explaining that they don't break if you do put them
in backwards? Its the sort of thing that people do so its a
requirement that no damage is done by inserting them incorrectly
these days. I expect you have never actually looked at one, or
anything else that takes batteries sold in the last decade or two.

Normally I'd agree with this. But it is you we're talking about.

Your self esteem must be even lower than what I think of you. The
stuff is design so that even idiots like you don't break it.

Quite. But then it's you who's broken it. I never have a problem with
anything like this from Lidl.

So how many of the LED torches have you bought then? It would help me
get an idea of how statistically useful your comments are.

Strange you are so confident it is designed to withstand wrong battery
insertion, but not so any fault could result in a fire...

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Does it need explaining that they don't break if you do put them in
backwards? Its the sort of thing that people do so its a requirement
that no damage is done by inserting them incorrectly these days. I
expect you have never actually looked at one, or anything else that
takes batteries sold in the last decade or two.

Normally I'd agree with this. But it is you we're talking about.

Your self esteem must be even lower than what I think of you.
The stuff is design so that even idiots like you don't break it.

Quite. But then it's you who's broken it. I never have a problem with
anything like this from Lidl.

So how many of the LED torches have you bought then?
It would help me get an idea of how statistically useful your comments are.

Well, which statistical tests do you propose to use and what
information do you hope to derive ?

Derek G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Does it need explaining that they don't break if you do put them in
backwards? Its the sort of thing that people do so its a requirement
that no damage is done by inserting them incorrectly these days. I
expect you have never actually looked at one, or anything else that
takes batteries sold in the last decade or two.

Normally I'd agree with this. But it is you we're talking about.

Your self esteem must be even lower than what I think of you.
The stuff is design so that even idiots like you don't break it.

Quite. But then it's you who's broken it. I never have a problem with
anything like this from Lidl.

So how many of the LED torches have you bought then?
It would help me get an idea of how statistically useful your comments
are.

Well, which statistical tests do you propose to use and what
information do you hope to derive ?

The obvious one.. that a person claiming to have never bought a faulty item
is insignificant.
Especially in this case as Dave has bought noon of the LED torches and is
just stirring (its called being a troll on usenet).
With any product there should always be a lot of people with no faults and
only a few with faults.
Also working units tell you nothing about failure modes.

The replacement is fine BTW.
I have no worries about buying another, the chances of another being faulty
is very small.
If I get a few faulty ones then I will take them to TS so they can be
investigated in case a recall is needed.
I would hope that Lidl would investigate if they got a lot of returns.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

I have no worries about buying another, the chances of another being
faulty is very small.

As a matter of interest, the best torch I ever bought is a Lidl LED one
(could conceivably be Aldi).

I don't think it is the one on sale now;
mine is fatter I think (shaft 4cm in diameter, top 6.5cm).
Lidl's current LED torch is coming here this week,
but from their web-page it looks quite a lot slimmer.

The one I bought is a 3AA one, all in a line so its about the same as a 3AA
maglite but no focussing and an on-off button in the base and its got the
same cree led in it..

I have another short one with 5 LEDs and takes 3 AAA side by side.
Nice torch, no beam to speak of.
Just found it broken a couple of weeks ago, it wont open for me to swap the
batteries.
I assume one of the lugs on the bayonet has busted and jammed it.
I can't turn it at all by hand, but I will have to open it by force to get
my nicads out.

That Lidl SDS ... Gordon Henderson UK diy 16 September 15th 09 05:12 PM
SDS at Lidl for £20 The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 September 3rd 09 11:11 PM
Lidl again Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 18 November 9th 08 05:44 PM
Blow torch, propane torch mm Home Repair 39 March 31st 06 02:15 AM
Lidl again! David Lang UK diy 35 July 28th 05 10:48 PM