Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden tap repair

Stupidly I forgot to turn off a garden tap for a few hours and left a hose
sprinkler plugged in. The back pressure has damaged something in the tap
because I now can't stop the water flowing from the tap.

The water is flowing from the spout with more than a drip - the flow is a
constant stream.

Before I start making the problem worse I'm wondering whether or not the
problem is likely to be with the washer or with the gland. If water is
flowing from the spout is the problem more likely to be washer or gland?

I'm also wondering if it is simpler to just buy a new tap from Wickes and
screw it on to the existing fitting and use some thread tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gareth" wrote:
Stupidly I forgot to turn off a garden tap for a few hours and left a hose
sprinkler plugged in. The back pressure has damaged something in the tap
because I now can't stop the water flowing from the tap.

The water is flowing from the spout with more than a drip - the flow is a
constant stream.

Before I start making the problem worse I'm wondering whether or not the
problem is likely to be with the washer or with the gland. If water is
flowing from the spout is the problem more likely to be washer or gland?

I'm also wondering if it is simpler to just buy a new tap from Wickes and
screw it on to the existing fitting and use some thread tape.

I would dismantle the tap and examine the washer and jumper, then proceed as
appropriate. From your description it sounds like the spindle has come
unscrewed from the jumper which holds the washer, I don't see how back
pressure can damage the washer or jumper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2011 08:08, DIY wrote:
"Gareth" wrote:
[...]

I'd agree with that. Sounds like its unscrewed itself, but I can't work
out how back pressure could do it either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2011 07:39, Gareth wrote:
Stupidly I forgot to turn off a garden tap for a few hours and left a
hose sprinkler plugged in. The back pressure has damaged something in
the tap because I now can't stop the water flowing from the tap.

The water is flowing from the spout with more than a drip - the flow is
a constant stream.

Before I start making the problem worse I'm wondering whether or not the
problem is likely to be with the washer or with the gland. If water is
flowing from the spout is the problem more likely to be washer or gland?

I'm also wondering if it is simpler to just buy a new tap from Wickes
and screw it on to the existing fitting and use some thread tape.

It's not the gland. If it were, water would be coming out round the
spindle - not through the spout.

Something has become deranged inside - most likely the washer has come
off - it probably stuck to the seat when you first opened the tap, and
pulled away from its fixing.

You'll have to dismantle it (having first turned off the water at the
main stoptap!) to find out - but it should be be easily fixable without
buying a new tap.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2011 07:39, Gareth wrote:
Stupidly I forgot to turn off a garden tap for a few hours

After you get the tap fixed, and before the hosepipe ban, you might want
to get a clockwork hose timer. Just a fiver or so on eBay

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2011 19:05, Reentrant wrote:
On 04/06/2011 07:39, Gareth wrote:
Stupidly I forgot to turn off a garden tap for a few hours

After you get the tap fixed, and before the hosepipe ban, you might want
to get a clockwork hose timer. Just a fiver or so on eBay

£20 from Wilko, bought one yesterday, it has an additional manual outlet
and valve as well.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Old Codger
wrote
On 04/06/2011 19:05, Reentrant wrote:
On 04/06/2011 07:39, Gareth wrote:
Stupidly I forgot to turn off a garden tap for a few hours

After you get the tap fixed, and before the hosepipe ban, you might want
to get a clockwork hose timer. Just a fiver or so on eBay

£20 from Wilko, bought one yesterday, it has an additional manual
outlet and valve as well.

You can get fully programmable timers for that price although places
like Aldi/Lidl only have them for sale on an infrequent basis.

And before anyone mentions crap brands and you get what you pay for. In
my experience they are lot better than the timers made by Hozelock
where a few drops of water collect in the corner of the plastic case
resulting in corroded electronic components.
--
Alan