news.mistral.net

Default Hydrogren in Cenral Heating

Hi there,

I have just had a new boiler installed (thanks again for lots of invaluable
help over that)

Everything seems fine except that it is producing quite a large ammount of
Hydrogen (I tested the vent gas as suggested on another post)

The system was flushed by a plumber (I happened to notice that he was using
Fernox products if that makes any difference) and then Sentinel X.100
inhibbitor was added. Existing rads are at a guess 20 years old. 1 new rad
was added at the same time as the boiler.
All copper pipes used (i.e. no plastic ones).
The system was converted from an open vented to a closed system at the same
time. (I didn't have any Hydrogen problems with the old setup).

The gas seems particularly bad in the towel rail (maybe a third of the towel
rail every day) but is pretty bad in all the higher rads.
The water which comes out of the rads has visible brown particulates in
basically clear water.
I tried to test it's acidity with a pond tester (Could not see any colour at
all!). A very basic 'school boy' test bit bicarb did not show any fizzing
either.

It is only a week since all this was done. Is this normal? Fresh steel
exposed during the flush which is 'bedding in'? Should I be worried?

One last thing (in case it is relevent). The system is filled with water
which comes through an ion exchange water softener.

Stephen

BillR

news.mistral.net wrote:
[...]

This sounds like a serious amount of gas production to me.
Could it be remnants of the flushing chemical trapped somewhere which is
doing it?
I've fed my CH from a water softener for 20 years with no problems.
AFAIK these leave small amount of sodium carbonate in the water, which is
alkaline isn't it?

In another property I put a combi boiler on a 20+ year old system, and there
has been no problem with gas.
On the other hand I didn't add flushing chemicals, I just took each rad off
and flushed it outside.

news.mistral.net

Hi Bill,

Thanks very much.
I have ordered some Litmus paper from boots which should come tomorrow and
will check for acid 'leftovers'. Plumber definitely put in some netralising
crystals but I guess there are lots of 'nooks and cranies' for the flushing
chemicals to stay in.

Stephen