Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1.5 mm (S)trimmer line for electric B & D garden strimmers

Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 29, 8:00*pm, chris wrote:
Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Chris

Anyone know how crucial the diameter is? Wilkinson's do 15m x 2mm for
£2.18 (or 15m x 2.4mm for £2.78).

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris wrote:

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

My local garden store, Euro 2 for 50metres. Postage could be a bit of a
bind though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 29, 9:35 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
chris wrote:
Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

My local garden store, Euro 2 for 50metres. Postage could be a bit of a
bind though.

is that you Colin?

JIm K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[snip]

Anyone know how crucial the diameter is? Wilkinson's do 15m x 2mm for
£2.18 (or 15m x 2.4mm for £2.78).

I doubt that you'll get a strimmer designed for 1.5mm to use 2 or 2.4mm,
those lines are for petrol powered brushcutters.

Try these links:

http://www.powertoolsdirect.com/alm-...-trimmer-lines

http://www.valuemedia.co.uk/popprods.htm?Product=SL002

http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p10336...duct_info.html

And slightly larger (1.6mm), over double the price but should work and may save
money on postage if you have a local Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/nylon-trim...-x-1-6mm/55254

The Bosch Combitrim also uses 1.5mm line and you can get that at Argos,
shipped free:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7172474.htm

But it's cheaper at Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-comb...line-24m/66126

I'm not sure why you couldn't find it at lower prices than the ones you quoted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 7:00 am, chris wrote:
Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Why can't strimmers use steel wire that will last a lot longer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 29, 8:00*pm, chris wrote:
Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Chris

Get a bit of copper electric cable and fix to the thing. It will be
non-adjustable but in my experience, these damned adjusters don't work
anyway.

You need to have two bits of wire @108deg to counter out of balance
forces. They use nylon because it's so light, these forces don't
amount to much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 9:04*am, harry wrote:
On May 29, 8:00*pm, chris wrote:

Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Chris

Get a bit of copper electric cable and fix to the thing. It will be
non-adjustable but in my experience, these damned adjusters don't work
anyway.

You need to have two bits of wire @108deg *to counter out of balance
forces. They use nylon because it's so light, these forces don't
amount to much.

That should be 180 deg of course :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 4:08 am, Matty F wrote:
On May 30, 7:00 am, chris wrote:

Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Why can't strimmers use steel wire that will last a lot longer?

I once tried that with a steel bass guitar string, lasted about a
minute and snapped at the "eyelet" part of the hub, I surmised at the
time, through metal fatigue of continual flexing as it was constantly
being slowed and then speeding up again as weeds, grass etc were cut.

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2011 20:27, wrote:
On May 29, 8:00 pm, wrote:
Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Anyone know how crucial the diameter is? Wilkinson's do 15m x 2mm for
£2.18 (or 15m x 2.4mm for £2.78).

Have just had the same problem, and given that my own B&D strimmer is
now obsolete I can't find the original stuff to replace it with.

I found plenty of different sizes very cheaply on ebay and have bought a
pack: haven't quite run out of the original yet so can't report whether
it's successful or not. I'm guessing the line diameter/stiffness thing
will be reasonably important for the autofeed to work properly though...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
On May 30, 4:08 am, Matty F wrote:
On May 30, 7:00 am, chris wrote:

Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Why can't strimmers use steel wire that will last a lot longer?

I once tried that with a steel bass guitar string, lasted about a
minute and snapped at the "eyelet" part of the hub, I surmised at the
time, through metal fatigue of continual flexing as it was constantly
being slowed and then speeding up again as weeds, grass etc were cut.

My cheapo edging strimmer has no auto feed. Line life can be hugely
extended by drawing out 15mm or so of line every couple of minutes. The
other issue is that line breaks due to flex fatigue happen at the guide
and usually involve disassembly to recover the line end:-(

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On May 30, 7:00 am, chris wrote:
Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Why can't strimmers use steel wire that will last a lot longer?

Safety.
They are intended to be used by gardeners without the need for safety wear
or training.

You can buy a brushwood trimmer if you want something that cuts better using
steel blades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 May 2011 12:00:15 -0700, chris wrote:

Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found on
websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for £10.60
odd but with postage will be more? The usual stores seem only to deal in
lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Chris

50 metres for £6.99 from Amazon. If you have Prime, that includes next
day delivery; if you don't, it'll take afew days but still free.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

On May 30, 7:00 am, chris wrote:
Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Why can't strimmers use steel wire that will last a lot longer?

Because it doesn't.

For brushcutters there are scary looking devices that are made of
chainsaw blades. They scare the crap out of me and I won't use them, the
thought of a link breaking at several thousand rpm is what scares me.
Getting hit by a bit of cable or a flicked-up pebble is bad. Getting hit
by a sharpened object attached to a heavy bit of metal really doesn't
appeal.

If you want to risk your eyes and legs, and run the risk of getting a
bit of chain through your skull you can buy such devices he

http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/su...s-0002620.aspx

The heads they sell are actually the inferior ones that just use
domestic quality chain, not chainsaw blades, so they will break even
sooner and I don't fancy being there when one of them wraps around a
trunk. I guess that the heads are made in Italy, which is where I mostly
see these devices, because one of the descriptions on that page has the
original Italian text.

And here's why you should not use them:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/brushcutters.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

Why can't strimmers use steel wire that will last a lot longer?

It doesn't because it fatigues and breaks very rapidly.

I bought my first brushcutter in 1974, before nylon cord was used and the
only blades were sawblades, often with the same profile as a circular saw
but also with a profile more like a chainsaw tooth, for easy sharpening
with a round file. Later blades with 4, 3 then 2 tips became available for
cutting softer material. I used these on piecework weeding in forestry
plantations. To increase the swept area I tried affixing a strand from a
winch cable and swinging blades from a mower to a sharpened out blade. The
winch cable lasted seconds before it broke away at the fixing point and the
swinging blades, though balanced set up such bad resonance in the drive
train they took out a bearing in the drive tube. Since then any of the
flail type heads have been banned (within the last two years I think). Even
the excellent mulching heads (a rotary mower type blade with the last 40mm
turned down through 90 degrees are now restricted to the bigger
brushcutters (Stihl 480 size and above IIRC).

About the same time in the early 70s the program "out of Town" reported on
the nylon strimmer and things developed from there. I'm not entirely happy
with the worn off micro pieces of nylon pervading the environment.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 May 2011 12:00:15 -0700, chris wrote:

Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found on
websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for £10.60
odd but with postage will be more? The usual stores seem only to deal in
lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Chris

50 metres for £6.99 from Amazon. If you have Prime, that includes next
day delivery; if you don't, it'll take afew days but still free.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

In desperation, I tried washing line that consists of polythene covered
wire (looks a bit like bowden cable). It works for me I even use it on
the sides of my hedge. The clothes line was an offcut from the line that I
fitted.

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 29, 8:00*pm, chris wrote:
Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Chris

Don't overlook fishing line too, thats how I got my last nylon line
(smaller size) (very good deal)

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
[snip]

About the same time in the early 70s the program "out of Town" reported on
the nylon strimmer and things developed from there. I'm not entirely happy
with the worn off micro pieces of nylon pervading the environment.

Do you also worry about all the non biodegradable silicon dioxide in the
environment?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 7:00 am, chris wrote:
Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Why not just use steel wire?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 8:01 pm, Matty F wrote:
On May 30, 7:00 am, chris wrote:

Anyone know of a source for this other than the rip off prices found
on websites such as £4 for 10 m and the best value being 50 m for
£10.60 odd but with postage will be more?
The usual stores seem only to deal in lots of about 5 to 10 m

Surely there must be a source of nylon line cheaper than this?

Why not just use steel wire?

I'm sorry, Google Groups has gone mad and shows less than half of the