Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen unit drawers height question

Two identical 500mm wide cabinets, each with 4x drawers and I need to
replace the actual drawers with new ones. In each unit at the moment
the drawers are all quite shallow - around 85mm.

Height of the existing drawer fronts in each unit is (top to bottom)
160mm; 185; 185; 160. Top drawer height is restricted by corner
brackets. Third from top height is restricted by a reinforcing bar
along the mid point.

The choice on new drawer heights is 85mm or 150mm - the ebay ad doesn't
actually give any clues as to where the drawer height measurements are
taken from. It looks as if I were to change the drawer front
arrangements to (top down) to 160; 185; 160; 185 - that I could fit in
the 85mm; 150; 85; 150.

Could anyone confirm that the above would fit please?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Harry Bloomfield formulated :
Height of the existing drawer fronts in each unit is (top to bottom) 160mm;
185; 185; 160. Top drawer height is restricted by corner brackets. Third from
top height is restricted by a reinforcing bar along the mid point.

Sorry, correction -

They are 160, 185, 185, 185.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 10:32*pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
It happens that Harry Bloomfield formulated :

Height of the existing drawer fronts in each unit is (top to bottom) 160mm;
185; 185; 160. Top drawer height is restricted by corner brackets. Third from
top height is restricted by a reinforcing bar along the mid point.

Sorry, correction -

They are 160, 185, 185, 185.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Most cabinets are in standard sizes. You can just go out and get
drawers/drawer fronts in any size/style you fancy.
Get new rails as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Miller has brought this to us :
I'm not sure I really understand your problem - why can't you use the
existing drawer fronts with something like Screwfix's replacement drawers
which are made to suit 500mm cabinets?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/500mm-drawer-box/63680

These are easy to fit and there's good adjustment to get the fronts to line
up properly. Height of these is around 75mm.

John M

I appreciate all of that. I installed the entire kitchen originally,
but the drawers turned out to be not very robust - plastic sided with a
hardboard base, so now I'm trying to replace them with steel sided and
18mm base panel, via an online order. I'm just confused as to what
height of drawer can be installed. The choices are 85mm or 150mm.

For the 8x drawers I could simply buy 8x 85mm, but I fancy 4x of the
drawers could be the 150mm high ones - obviously higher sided, means
more capacity, without things spilling out the back.

So to run it again....

Drawer front heights
Top = 160mm
2nd = 185mm
3rd = 185mm
Bottom =185mm

Top drawer has to be an 85mm, dues to there being carcass reinforcing
brackets in the top corners. 3rd drawer also has to be 85mm due to a
carcass reinforcing bar across its top - but could I use 150mm drawer
height for 2nd drawers and bottom drawers?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry expressed precisely :
Most cabinets are in standard sizes. You can just go out and get
drawers/drawer fronts in any size/style you fancy.
Get new rails as well.

Original drawer fronts are good as new, as are the carcasses - good
quality. Drawers are horrible cheap break if you look at them types
with a fall out hardboard base panel. I put the entire kitchen in, not
appreciating that the actual drawers were such rubbish at the time I
ordered the parts up.

Now I'm looking to replace all eight with steel ones with an 18mm wood
base. They come with the runners etc., but not the fronts.

All I want to is will 150mm high drawers fit two of the drawers in each
unit? I know that 4x 85mm drawers will definitely fit, but it looks as
if two of the drawers in each unit could be 150mm high, instead of
85mm.

They seem to call the 150mm ones 'Deep Pan', if that helps?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Harry Bloomfield wrote :
Two identical 500mm wide cabinets, each with 4x drawers and I need to replace
the actual drawers with new ones. In each unit at the moment the drawers are
all quite shallow - around 85mm.

Height of the existing drawer fronts in each unit is (top to bottom) 160mm;
185; 185; 160. Top drawer height is restricted by corner brackets. Third from
top height is restricted by a reinforcing bar along the mid point.

The choice on new drawer heights is 85mm or 150mm - the ebay ad doesn't
actually give any clues as to where the drawer height measurements are taken
from. It looks as if I were to change the drawer front arrangements to (top
down) to 160; 185; 160; 185 - that I could fit in the 85mm; 150; 85; 150.

Could anyone confirm that the above would fit please?

I've just had an answer from a knowledgeable supplier and the taller
sided drawers will fit. Replacements ordered.

Note to self - never buy plastic drawers, ever again.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Kitchen fitting - gap behind unit and cover panel question nafuk UK diy 1 October 22nd 09 03:01 PM
Kitchen cabinet height question SteveB Home Repair 4 October 11th 07 09:01 PM
Kitchen Drawers Swingman Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 October 2nd 07 11:44 AM
Kitchen unit question nicoll UK diy 5 October 18th 04 03:03 PM
Height between kitchen worktop and wall unit ? Christian McArdle UK diy 1 August 6th 03 07:37 PM