Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen cabinet height question

"SteveB" wrote in message

What is the standard height for outlets and the bottom of kitchen

cabinets?
Or do you do as we did and make it for the user? There must be standards

as
in tract houses.

Consult the government building standards department
for the country in which you live. In the USA it used to
be called the Building and Housing Div. of the National
Bureau of Standards (now renamed.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 3:12 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
My wife is short. We recently remodeled a house, and had custom cabinets
installed. No problem. We made them to fit her. Then we bought another
house, and apparently, it was owned by Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain. The top
of the outlet plates are at 54" and the bottom of the wall cabinets are at
60".

We will be remodeling this, also. And the heights of the outlets and
cabinets will be set to her dimensions.

What is the standard height for outlets and the bottom of kitchen cabinets?
Or do you do as we did and make it for the user? There must be standards as
in tract houses.

Steve

36" for counter
18" above that for upper cabinets (at least 20" above cooktop)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
My wife is short. We recently remodeled a house, and had custom cabinets
installed. No problem. We made them to fit her. Then we bought another
house, and apparently, it was owned by Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain. The
top of the outlet plates are at 54" and the bottom of the wall cabinets
are at 60".

We will be remodeling this, also. And the heights of the outlets and
cabinets will be set to her dimensions.

What is the standard height for outlets and the bottom of kitchen
cabinets? Or do you do as we did and make it for the user? There must be
standards as in tract houses.

Steve

Be careful with strange customization in the kitchen, if you have thoughts
of selling the house in the future. Some buyers will walk right out, if they
don't want to spend the money to put the situation back to normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 2:12 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
My wife is short. We recently remodeled a house, and had custom cabinets
installed. No problem. We made them to fit her. Then we bought another
house, and apparently, it was owned by Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain. The top
of the outlet plates are at 54" and the bottom of the wall cabinets are at
60".

We will be remodeling this, also. And the heights of the outlets and
cabinets will be set to her dimensions.

What is the standard height for outlets and the bottom of kitchen cabinets?
Or do you do as we did and make it for the user? There must be standards as
in tract houses.

Steve

Lowered cabinets are nice and comfy. My wife is 5 foot, I'm 6 foot,
we lowered the cabinets to 16 inches above the finished 36 inch
countertops and have no issues storing things under them, so go for
it. Also consider maybe some 7 or 8 foot pantry cabinets, they reduce
your room for countertops, but they are a pleasure for shorter
people. I also put our "cup cabinet" directly on top of the
countertop at the end of a run over a 6 inch high spice drawer. This
way you can still keep items under 6 inches on the countertop and open
the cup cabinet. The spice drawers under it we use for pens, this
months bills, stamps, etc. Watch out near the stove though with
lowered cabinets, but overall I would never want 18 inch raised
cabinets again.