Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 24" monitor.

I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger size
for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type
inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger size
for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type
inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

Work use iiyama prolite B2409HDS. Cheap, works - 1920x1080. HDMI is
better than VGA, but I'm still using the VGA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2011 18:00, Clive George wrote:
I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger
size
for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type
inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

Work use iiyama prolite B2409HDS. Cheap, works - 1920x1080. HDMI is
better than VGA, but I'm still using the VGA.

Wife has a Dell which has done well but it wasn't a cheap one. Uses HDMI
for her home PC and VGA for office laptop when she works from home.
Makes it very easy to switch between the 2.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" :
I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger size
for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type
inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

If 23" would do, a recent PC Pro review raved about the ViewSonic
VP2365wb at about £200. "At this price, a stunning deal".

I've got two Dell 24" widescreens (which cost a lot more than that, it
has to be said) and they're both excellent.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wife has a Dell which has done well but it wasn't a cheap one. Uses HDMI
for her home PC and VGA for office laptop when she works from home.
Makes it very easy to switch between the 2.

Likewise - a combined tv/monitor from Dell, connected to the base unit
via HDMI - results have a perfect crispness to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger size
for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type
inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

I have both an iiyama ProLite E2407HDs and a Samsung SyncMaster B2430 here.

Both are good.

The samsung is a recent purchase, for the kid's PC, and it was cheap and
seems to be good. ( But you need to set the mode to 'PC' not 'AV' in
the menus to prevent it doing odd scaling / overscanning which is
horrible. I had to fight with under-scanning in the ATI driver AND
over-scanning on the monitor to finally get proper 1:1 pixel mapping at
1920x1080. )

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger size
for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type
inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

Can't answer on price, but I find Samsung a generally safe bet for a
reliable device with good clarity and nice colours. Ditto Dell.

My second bet would probably be a NEC but I've not had one for a while, so
YMMV.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger size
for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type
inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

Samsung and LG both have some reasonable offerings.

I've got an LG here (M327WD) which I'm very happy with.

This one is a combine monitor/TV 1920x1080 so has plenty of inputs.

It was about £200 about 2.5 years ago, so presumably a bit cheaper now
(and probably a different model)

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" :
I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger size
for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type
inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

If 23" would do, a recent PC Pro review raved about the ViewSonic
VP2365wb at about £200. "At this price, a stunning deal".

The existing 19" is a Viewsonic bought for not a lot from I think CPC and
I've no complaints. So thanks - I'll look at that.

I've got two Dell 24" widescreens (which cost a lot more than that, it
has to be said) and they're both excellent.

--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2011 20:04:37 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger size
for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type
inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

Can't answer on price, but I find Samsung a generally safe bet for a
reliable device with good clarity and nice colours. Ditto Dell.

My second bet would probably be a NEC but I've not had one for a while, so
YMMV.

The Dell monitors I have seen have been pretty good although I
wouldn't buy anything else from them.

Philips used to be good but I haven't seen any recent ones to be sure
now.

I would avoid the really cheap ones such as HannsG. We have several
of those at work.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Philips used to be good but I haven't seen any recent ones to be sure
now.

I refuse to buy anything Philips after my last TV from them developed a PS
fault just outside warranty. And the costs of the ICs required to fix it
were just plain profiteering.

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 26 May,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger size
for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA type
inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

I recently got a Samsung Flatron 23" E2360 LED (backlit) one. It is 1920x
1080 and vewry crisp.I'm very pleased with it. I was very doubtful of WS, but
it enables you to spread out sideways on the screen, displaying things side
by side which previously were in overlapping windows.

Works with my RiscPC too, but that's not working ATM but works well with
VRPC.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 27 May,
wrote:

I recently got a Samsung Flatron 23" E2360 LED (backlit) one.

^^^^^^^^
Doh!!! must get new specs!!! it's an LG. Samsung is the TV we didn't get
after reading reports that their monitors spuriously switch on or off when RF
is about.

It is 1920 x 1080 and very crisp.I'm very pleased with it. I was very
doubtful of WS, but it enables you to spread out sideways on the screen,
displaying things side by side which previously were in overlapping windows.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2011 13:09:03 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Philips used to be good but I haven't seen any recent ones to be sure
now.

I refuse to buy anything Philips after my last TV from them developed a PS
fault just outside warranty. And the costs of the ICs required to fix it
were just plain profiteering.

I would guess that all manufacturers overcharge for spares.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger
size for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA
type inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

Can't answer your question but just a rant against bloody stupid website
designers who obviously have widescreen monitors and who, just as obviously,
think the rest of the world has them too. I'm piggin' fed up of having to
scroll horizontally as well as vertically. Grrr!!!

Rant over, carry on :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 May 2011 22:46:25 +0100, "John" wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'd like to replace my present 19" widescreen monitor with a 24. I'll
likely not use any super high resolution modes - I just want a bigger
size for my old eyes at my usual 1280x768. Needs to have HDMI and VGA
type inputs. Speakers not needed.

Any recommendations for decent performance and value?

Can't answer your question but just a rant against bloody stupid website
designers who obviously have widescreen monitors and who, just as obviously,
think the rest of the world has them too. I'm piggin' fed up of having to
scroll horizontally as well as vertically. Grrr!!!

Rant over, carry on :-)

Especially since HTML was not originally designed to go with fixed
resolutions.

--
(\__/) M.