Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Opening a LG 700E "Studioworks" computer monitor - how?

Hello, I have a problem with my LG 700E "Studioworks" monitor. Could
someone tell me how-to open it up. It has a plastic faceplate with
buttons at the front of the monitor (the portion that faces me when 'm
sitting in front of the monitor). It also has a big plastic body (rear
part). There is a small metal base, with a swivel.

I turned it over on it's top. It has a metal baseplate into which the
swivel fits. I removed that and looked around for screws. All i
noticed were two horizontal grooves running into the faceplate of the
monitor BUT they had no screws. I also noticed two tiny plastic lever
like things holding the faceplate onto the rest of the body. I bet
that if i depressed the levers and tugged on the face plate, it would
slip off and I'd have access to the front-part (viewing area) of the
CRT.

Is this the way to proceed? What should i do next, to get the plastic
rear off.

I know how dangerous it is and i propose to wear a full sleeve cotton
shirt, with a full sleeve jacket on top of that, and then wear
surgical rubber gloves. I will also insulate part of my screw-driver
(part of the metal rod near the handle) and wear shoes. I just want to
look at all the parts and identify what's what. I don't propose to fix
ANYTHING.

I had posted to this NG earlier explaining my problem, but i guess
it's much too vague, and it didn't receive a reply. Anyway, i have
repeated it below for completeness

----------------------
Hello, my LG 700E computer monitor has developed a intermittent
problem of sorts. The brightness and contrast are at 0, but my desktop
and browser are visible through a even and bright white haze that
covers the whole screen. Sometimes there is no haze and it works
normally and sometimes there is a flickr of lines, horizontal dark
lines on my screen that move apart [in the vertical direction] and
converge [and diverge] creating a flickr.

I thought it might be a problem with the power, so i used a analog
multimeter to check, and the voltage was normal. It's also connected
through my UPS so i should not be seeing voltage fluctuation.

Could someone suggest possible problems and if it is serious or minor?
Repair guys take you for a ride where i live, so i wanted a hint as to
possible problems and what might be damaged.
----------------

There's a lot of exposure to dust.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

zorgdroid wrote in news:2c35e926-6a2f-4ec7-98b1-
:

[...]

I doubt that you truly appreciate the full danger. There are voltages in
there that will 'reach out and grab you', right through those gloves and
cotton sleeves.

Even those who DO appreciate the dangers get killed.

and i propose to wear a full sleeve cotton
shirt, with a full sleeve jacket on top of that, and then wear
surgical rubber gloves.

Not nearly thick enough to protect against the HV you might encounter.

I will also insulate part of my screw-driver
(part of the metal rod near the handle) and wear shoes.

Rubber or plastic soled shoes WITHOUT nails in the heels!!!

Keep one hand in your pocket at all times, to avoid providing a current
path across your heart.

I just want to
look at all the parts and identify what's what. I don't propose to fix
ANYTHING.

Remember, some of the capacitors can hold a charge for many days.

I had posted to this NG earlier explaining my problem, but i guess
it's much too vague, and it didn't receive a reply. Anyway, i have
repeated it below for completeness

----------------------
Hello, my LG 700E computer monitor has developed a intermittent
problem of sorts. The brightness and contrast are at 0, but my desktop
and browser are visible through a even and bright white haze that
covers the whole screen. Sometimes there is no haze and it works
normally and sometimes there is a flickr of lines, horizontal dark
lines on my screen that move apart [in the vertical direction] and
converge [and diverge] creating a flickr.

There is a long thread somewhere about 'monitor too bright' and various
ways to fix the problem.
Try googling for
dell sony monitor 'too bright'

Running the built in software's color calibration procedure is one fix and
reducing a particular resistor's value is another.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hello, thank you for the helpful advice. I was planning to wear
sneakers - not sure what it's dielectric strength is but i assumed it
would suffice - not a good idea, making such assumptions The hand
in the pocket I don't completely follow - you are worried that my
right hand might provide a entry point and that my left might provide
the exit, thus channeling
current across my body and through the heart? I shall bear that in
mind and I did read about how dangerous this is on Mr. Goldwasser's
web-site. I'll try the software fix you suggested but I'm not
optimistic because of the flickr involved. I think i might have found
the Google string links:
http://www.myblog.bloggybloggy.com/h...ns-26-09-2007/
http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19549