Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage without a support in one corner

I wish to build a temporary garage as a leanto against a fence.
To get a car into it, the door will have to be L-shaped and the full
width of one end plus half the length of the garage, and the car will
have to be reversed into it. Once a week!
So the corner support of one end of the garage will be missing.
Garage 4.8 metres long and 2.4 metres wide with the 2.4 metre door
hinged to another 2.4 metre door along the side.
The roof support will be 150x50mm on all sides, cantilevered on the
side where the door is, and bolted to two 125mmx125mm poles in the
ground.
The roof will be extremely lightweight, i.e. the roof support will
basically have to support its own weight. Except in a hurricane, but
we don't have hurricanes.
Thoughts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/26/2011 9:31 PM, Matty F wrote:
I wish to build a temporary garage as a leanto against a fence.
To get a car into it, the door will have to be L-shaped and the full
width of one end plus half the length of the garage, and the car will
have to be reversed into it. Once a week!
So the corner support of one end of the garage will be missing.
Garage 4.8 metres long and 2.4 metres wide with the 2.4 metre door
hinged to another 2.4 metre door along the side.
The roof support will be 150x50mm on all sides, cantilevered on the
side where the door is, and bolted to two 125mmx125mm poles in the
ground.
The roof will be extremely lightweight, i.e. the roof support will
basically have to support its own weight. Except in a hurricane, but
we don't have hurricanes.
Thoughts?

Wind loads can be surprisingly high - I've been talking to builders
about getting a carport made, and they pay close attention to the
attachment to the house. I suggest you seek the advice of someone who
has experience with such things in your area.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 10:01 pm, Gib Bogle wrote:
[...]

I was intending to have the middle of the door attached to the roof
when it is closed, as it will be 99% of the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 11:04*am, Matty F wrote:
[...]

If its a temporary job you could perhaps keep roof load down some by
using a tarpaulin as roof covering. And fence panels for wall cladding
are quick and easy.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 May 2011 02:31:43 -0700, Matty F wrote:
Thoughts?

That doesn't sound too bad; I think you have a solid trapezoidal solid
structure (sides 4.8M, 2.4M, 2.4M, 3.39M) and then a triangular overhang
(2.4M, 2.4M, 3.39M), right?

The overhang will project a maximum of 1.7M from a fully-supported
section, with a cantilever of twice that - 3.4M - anchored halfway down
the 4.8M wall.

I don't think that's significant; we get overhanging porches on houses of
around that up here, and we get tornadoes too. And if it's anchored when
the door's closed, even better.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 27, 12:53 am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 02:31:43 -0700, Matty F wrote:
Thoughts?

That doesn't sound too bad; I think you have a solid trapezoidal solid
structure (sides 4.8M, 2.4M, 2.4M, 3.39M) and then a triangular overhang
(2.4M, 2.4M, 3.39M), right?

Correct, except that I was assuming that the large beam along the side
would support the corner OK. Perhaps I'd better put some diagonal
timber in the roof, and the side wall.
I was going to use plywood but now will use recycled plastic
billboards that have no strength at all.

The overhang will project a maximum of 1.7M from a fully-supported
section, with a cantilever of twice that - 3.4M - anchored halfway down
the 4.8M wall.

I don't think that's significant; we get overhanging porches on houses of
around that up here, and we get tornadoes too. And if it's anchored when
the door's closed, even better.

Hmm, everybody else around here thinks I'm mad and that it won't work.
But they are unable to visualise anything until it's built.
I'm off to buy some timber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a look at this
http://www.polycarbonatesheets.co.uk...xe_Canopy.html

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 02:31:43 -0700, Matty F wrote:
Thoughts?

That doesn't sound too bad; I think you have a solid trapezoidal solid
structure (sides 4.8M, 2.4M, 2.4M, 3.39M) and then a triangular
overhang (2.4M, 2.4M, 3.39M), right?

Correct, except that I was assuming that the large beam along the side
would support the corner OK.

Yes, it probably would... I don't know what lumber prices are like there
though, but they're pretty cheap here, and so it doesn't hurt to add a
little more strength (and as it's a temporary structure I'm sure you can
find somewhere to reuse it when it all gets dismantled :-)

The overhang will project a maximum of 1.7M from a fully-supported
section, with a cantilever of twice that - 3.4M - anchored halfway down
the 4.8M wall.

I don't think that's significant; we get overhanging porches on houses
of around that up here, and we get tornadoes too. And if it's anchored
when the door's closed, even better.

Hmm, everybody else around here thinks I'm mad and that it won't work.
But they are unable to visualise anything until it's built. I'm off to
buy some timber.

:-) I don't think you're dealing with a significant load - and as you
mentioned, it'll have additional support from the door except for the few
minutes that you'll have it open.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Can you engineer a vertical pole into the opposite corner, and have a
wire in tension from the top of it down to the otherwise unsupported
corner?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Mawson
writes

wrote:
[...]

That might handle the roof weight but not any risk of wind lift.

The span involved in a cantilevered side beam seems eminently do-able
and the mechanics are simple, o/p just needs to consider anchoring for
forces pulling up as well as pushing down with plenty of diagonal
bracing in the vert & horiz to keep things in the square.

On wind lift, perhaps the idea would be to leave plenty of ventilation
up in the roof so that wind can escape.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 27, 10:05 pm, fred wrote:

The span involved in a cantilevered side beam seems eminently do-able
and the mechanics are simple, o/p just needs to consider anchoring for
forces pulling up as well as pushing down with plenty of diagonal
bracing in the vert & horiz to keep things in the square.

On wind lift, perhaps the idea would be to leave plenty of ventilation
up in the roof so that wind can escape.

I don't think wind lift will be a problem. The fence is basically a
concrete block wall. The two humungous posts holding the other side
are now in place, with the side beam. The posts will not lift out of
the ground.

It all looks rather large. I think the top half of the garage will be
trellis, to make it look a bit less dominant. So I will have to make a
double door about 5 metres wide hinged in the middle with trellis on
the top half, and plastic billboard material on the bottom half.
The basic requirement is to keep most of the weather off the car and
to hide it. It is one that is particularly likely to be stolen, even
with its burglar alarm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Matty F writes
On May 27, 10:05 pm, fred wrote:

The span involved in a cantilevered side beam seems eminently do-able
and the mechanics are simple, o/p just needs to consider anchoring for
forces pulling up as well as pushing down with plenty of diagonal
bracing in the vert & horiz to keep things in the square.

On wind lift, perhaps the idea would be to leave plenty of ventilation
up in the roof so that wind can escape.

I don't think wind lift will be a problem. The fence is basically a
concrete block wall. The two humungous posts holding the other side
are now in place, with the side beam. The posts will not lift out of
the ground.

Though you might go big :-).

It all looks rather large. I think the top half of the garage will be
trellis, to make it look a bit less dominant. So I will have to make a
double door about 5 metres wide hinged in the middle with trellis on
the top half, and plastic billboard material on the bottom half.
The basic requirement is to keep most of the weather off the car and
to hide it. It is one that is particularly likely to be stolen, even
with its burglar alarm.

Wise move, I think visibility (or lack thereof) is half the battle.

Don't forget the pics! (perhaps with a person hanging off the
unsupported corner).
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:58:45 +0100, fred wrote:

Don't forget the pics! (perhaps with a person hanging off the
unsupported corner).

Do they still have capital punishment down under?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 2:16 am, Geo wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:58:45 +0100, fred wrote:

Don't forget the pics! (perhaps with a person hanging off the
unsupported corner).

Do they still have capital punishment down under?

No. The unsupported corner is only six feet high, so would only be any
good for short building inspectors!