Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building a shed like a fence

Any reason i should not build a shed in the same way i build a fether
edge fence (but with 4 sides a door and a roof)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 8:28*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
newsgroups wrote:
Any reason i should not build a shed in the same way i build a fether
edge fence (but with 4 sides a door and a roof)?

If you mean with ready made fence panels, its a quick cheap light way
to do it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2011 18:40, newsgroups wrote:
Any reason i should not build a shed in the same way i build a fether
edge fence (but with 4 sides a door and a roof)?

Far from ideal,and very leaky and draughty. Have a look at what is
available at your local timber yard.

This - albeit American - site gives an idea of some of the sections
available: http://www.buffalo-lumber.com/siding-patterns.htm

Personally, I would use something like Cove Rustic/Dutch Lap Siding,
laid horizontally, for the walls - and T&G, laid vertically, for the door.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 24, 6:40*pm, newsgroups wrote:
Any reason i should not build a shed in the same way i build a fether
edge fence (but with 4 sides a door and a roof)?

Done horizontally perfectly good method. In fact, traditional round
Herefordshire where I live. Some houses are built using it but more
common in barns.

The strength of the construction depends on how much you overlap the
boards. Carefully done, looks really good, better than shiplap.
You can get very wide boards too which speeds construction. (Up to 9")

It's very cheap to buy because there is very little waste when sawing
the timber compared with shiplap etc.

Obviously, you want the pressure treated stuff. It's green timber and
may move as it dries out.

Needs to be nailed on so any "cupping" has the convex surface to the
outside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 25, 9:25*am, harry wrote:
On May 24, 6:40*pm, newsgroups wrote:

Any reason i should not build a shed in the same way i build a fether
edge fence (but with 4 sides a door and a roof)?

Done horizontally perfectly good method. *In fact, traditional round
Herefordshire where I live. *Some houses are built using it but more
common in barns.

The strength of the construction depends on how much you overlap the
boards. *Carefully done, looks really good, better than shiplap.
You can get very wide boards too which speeds construction. (Up to 9")

It's very cheap to buy because there is very little waste when sawing
the timber compared with shiplap etc.

Obviously, you want the pressure treated stuff. *It's green timber and
may move as it dries out.

Needs to be nailed on so any "cupping" has the convex surface to the
outside.

Oh. Watch out for loose knotholes.This is the major snag with this
stuff. They can be siliconed back in if they fall out but best avoided
on purchase.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
newsgroups wrote:
Any reason i should not build a shed in the same way i build a fether
edge fence (but with 4 sides a door and a roof)?

Assuming you mean with vertical boards, then it is not a good idea as it
wont be waterproof.

Not quite so. I built my shed with vertical boards and it is perfectly
waterproof, T&G mind not featheredge.

I do know of a garage type structure built with standard 6'x6' fencing
panels for walls, fixed to standard 4"x4" wooden posts sunk into the ground
in the usual fencing manner. The guy then reinforced the top with some 4"x2"
as a sort of wall plate and added a corrugated plastic roof. It served
perfectly as a shelter for his old tractor and stationery engines for many
years. The plastic roof blew off after a few years and he replaced it with
steel cladding offcuts which lasted much longer. I have not travelled that
way lately but next time I do I will look to see if its still there.

Mike

Building a shed??? Devils Advocate Home Repair 15 August 27th 07 04:25 AM
I'm building a 6' high fence and I'm having trouble with land elevations and gaps under fence???? [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 7th 07 11:55 AM
Fence and Shed Spraying Terry W. UK diy 2 April 6th 07 12:29 PM
building a shed Kris Dawson UK diy 10 April 26th 06 07:11 PM
Building a shed???????? TrailRat Woodworking 25 January 22nd 05 05:17 AM