Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Dug out my old Copydex JointMaster, what about replacement guides?

Obviously, the genuine plastic guides are no longer available, but
what ingenious methods have others applied to simulate the guides?
Maybe thin plastic sheet such as Delrin (used for harpsichord
plectra), then heated and bent into shape? Or a small leaf spring of
some kind? All it has to do is push the saw blade lightly against the
opposite guide.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 May 2011 15:09:21 +0100, MM wrote:

Obviously, the genuine plastic guides are no longer available, but
what ingenious methods have others applied to simulate the guides?

No responses, maybe not many people know what a Copydex JointMaster
is? I've not heard of it before but google
finds:

http://www.woodworkersguildofga.com/...l?m-1180962363
/

I guess you are looking for the rounded clippy things at the top
right of the saw guides?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 21 May 2011 15:09:21 +0100, MM wrote:

Obviously, the genuine plastic guides are no longer available, but
what ingenious methods have others applied to simulate the guides?

No responses, maybe not many people know what a Copydex JointMaster
is? I've not heard of it before but google
finds:

http://www.woodworkersguildofga.com/...l?m-1180962363
/

I guess you are looking for the rounded clippy things at the top
right of the saw guides?

I still have mine. Gets occasional use away from home.

I don't think the *clippy thing* is essential. Just keep the blade to
one side of the slot manually.

My first problem was having to find a tenon saw with a blade deep enough
to reach the bottom of the guides. In the era of throw away saws with
stiff blades and huge choice of tooth intervals, this may not be an
obstacle.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 22 May 2011 03:10:12 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/05/2011 22:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2011 15:09:21 +0100, MM wrote:

Obviously, the genuine plastic guides are no longer available, but
what ingenious methods have others applied to simulate the guides?

No responses, maybe not many people know what a Copydex JointMaster
is? I've not heard of it before but google
finds:

http://www.woodworkersguildofga.com/...l?m-1180962363
/

I guess you are looking for the rounded clippy things at the top
right of the saw guides?

Hmm that takes me back a bit. My mother used to have one of those ;-)

How about a bit of something springy like neoprene with a slice of PTFE
rod on the end of it?

Possible. As I recall, the jig came with a couple of spare guides, but
I kick myself that I didn't buy 50 of them at the time, because they
would have lasted my lifetime. When new guides are installed (i.e. not
worn down after extended use) this little jig was truly useful. Now
that they ones in my jig are worn completely flat, the saw blade
wobbles too much for the thing to be much use (which is why I've never
bought one of those mitre boxes).

I've also been thinking of modifying it to accept the kinds of carbon
brushes used in old-fashioned car dynamos or powerdrills, but with
stronger springs. So far, I've thought of everything that could
possibly be adapted, including plastic clothes pegs.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 21, 3:09*pm, MM wrote:
Obviously, the genuine plastic guides are no longer available, but
what ingenious methods have others applied to simulate the guides?

Get a mitre box. Much easier to use.

Dad had one of these Jointmasters back in the '70s. Neither of us ever
found any use for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 22 May 2011 09:17:48 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
[...]

I found a new tenon saw in Wilkinson for under a fiver. That works
with the 'dex.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 22 May 2011 02:48:15 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On May 21, 3:09*pm, MM wrote:
Obviously, the genuine plastic guides are no longer available, but
what ingenious methods have others applied to simulate the guides?

Get a mitre box. Much easier to use.

But a mitre box doesn't have any guide 'clip' to stop the saw wobbling
in the groove. The clip was the JointMaster's secret weapon.

Dad had one of these Jointmasters back in the '70s. Neither of us ever
found any use for it.

On the contrary, back then I sawed many pieces of wood nice and
square. I reckon it was and is a genuinely useful tool. But the clips
are both its secret weapon and its Achilles' heel.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 12:45*pm, MM wrote:

But a mitre box doesn't have any guide 'clip' to stop the saw wobbling
in the groove. The clip was the JointMaster's secret weapon.

First of all, learn to hold the saw flat against the guide.

Secondly, a decent and new mitre box doesn't rattle around the saw.
Better mitre boxes even have adjustable guides at the top, which you
can adjust down to blade thickness, not just kerf width.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:09:16 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On May 22, 12:45*pm, MM wrote:

But a mitre box doesn't have any guide 'clip' to stop the saw wobbling
in the groove. The clip was the JointMaster's secret weapon.

First of all, learn to hold the saw flat against the guide.

Er, isn't that the point of the JointMaster? (As long as the guides
are in good nick.)

Secondly, a decent and new mitre box doesn't rattle around the saw.
Better mitre boxes even have adjustable guides at the top, which you
can adjust down to blade thickness, not just kerf width.

Note: I don't want to cut mitres, I want to cut at 90 deg. All the
mitre boxes I've seen with adjustable guides are for cutting mitres.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 May 2011 09:22:48 +0100, MM wrote:

I guess you are looking for the rounded clippy things at the top
right of the saw guides?

Yep.

Self adhesive nylon wire clips? Maybe a P clip or something like:

http://www.kss.com.tw/e4k/e4-5/e0520-1.asp

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have one with guides that have had no use. Youre welcome to them I could post. I am throwing the whole thing away as it has no white plastic legs that seem to be a vital component
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Long shot Tim but do you still have it? Thanks John

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...-g-707351-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

willyw97uk wrote

Long shot Tim

Just a tad after 9 years.

but do you still have it? Thanks John

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...-g-707351-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
pdirect.com,
willyw97uk writes
Long shot Tim but do you still have it? Thanks John

This thread is 9 years old! But, yes I do. A scratch around might find
some of the plastic posts.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 05:45:32 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Just a tad after 9 years.

But you'll reply ANYWAY, every time, you brain dead trolling senile
sociopath!

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sure then just visit the local museum or the tip.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
willyw97uk wrote

Long shot Tim

Just a tad after 9 years.

Copydex Jointmaster Keefiedee UK diy 1 August 11th 09 01:22 PM
Link belt replacement on a bandsaw and ceramic guides... Steve Russell Woodturning 3 December 12th 06 11:37 AM
Replacement draw rail guides on pine chest of drawers [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 30th 06 03:31 PM
OT Saw Guides Castonguay, Guy Woodturning 2 March 17th 05 02:43 PM
OT Saw Guides WillR Woodworking 0 March 17th 05 02:41 PM