Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Big round hole in steel

I need to make or have made 2 additional removable steel supports to
match 6 that came with a trailer.
The present ones have a smaller steel pipe adjustable inside a 2"
outside diameter steel pipe. The larger steel pipe drops in to sockets
on the trailer, and has a 1/4" plate welded about 8" up to stop it
dropping through the socket and support part of the 2.5 tons to be
carried.

My local friendly trailer man can do the welding but isn't happy about
making the 2" hole in the 1/4" steel plate.

Is the best tool to cut through the steel a bi-metal hole saw? Should it
be 50mm (advertised on ebay as 50mm/2") or 51 mm.

Would it be easier to hack and bodge something like an old Acrow prop?
What is the o/d of one of these or are they all different?

Any other ideas? Is this the sort of thing a decent metal fabrication
shop should be able to knock up simply and cheaply? The 6 original props
are all different, so it looks as though they were cobbled up out of
whatever materials were to hand.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 9:37 am, Bill wrote:
[...]

plasma cutter - I would hope any decent welding/fabrication outfit
would have at least one, surprising your trailer man doesn't (at
least) have a contact who could??

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:37:38 +0100, Bill wrote:

My local friendly trailer man can do the welding but isn't happy about
making the 2" hole in the 1/4" steel plate.

Is the best tool to cut through the steel a bi-metal hole saw? Should it
be 50mm (advertised on ebay as 50mm/2") or 51 mm.

With a decently sharp hole saw and a drop of oil as lubrication it
should be quite easy and quick if the power tool is reasonably
powerful. Used to similar jobs regularly. A note of caution. If the
tool is powerful enough to do a reasonable job it will be strong
enough to hurt you and break from grip if the saw jams which it often
does just as it breaks through unless you are ready.
A drill with a clutch is recommended if you have access to one.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 9:37*am, Bill wrote:

My local friendly trailer man can do the welding but isn't happy about
making the 2" hole in the 1/4" steel plate.

Plasma cutter. A trailer place might not have one, but any halfway
decent steel fabricator will.

Is the best tool to cut through the steel a bi-metal hole saw? Should it
be 50mm (advertised on ebay as 50mm/2") or 51 mm.

OD usually, but it's a hard job to get real accuracy out of them
anyway.

Acrow props are quite heavy, as they're specced for a serious loading,
more than you'd need for a trailer leg.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
[...]

Isn't a 2" hole in 1/4" steel plate exactly the sort of thing a
hypersonic depleted uranium round is supposed to make?

Any friends in the Army?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 May 2011 11:23:57 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bill wrote:
[...]

It's worth a shot.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill saying
something like:

Any other ideas?

Gas axe. Doddle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 1:33*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

Gas axe. Doddle.

I don't know anyone who still has the requisite skill with cutting
this neatly, and who doesn't already have plasma instead of oxy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2011 09:37, Bill wrote:
[...]

Can't you just drill a series of smaller holes in a circle, gradually
enlarge them till they join up and the middle falls out, then tidy up
with a file?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message

Can't you just drill a series of smaller holes in a circle, gradually
enlarge them till they join up and the middle falls out, then tidy up with
a file?

A hole saw will do it easily especially in a pillar drill, even a £30 aldi
one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

A hole saw will do it easily especially in a pillar drill, even a £30
aldi one.

Well, I've invested 99p on ebay for a hole saw, so we'll see. If I can
clear a space to get to the Fobco, I'll give it a go.

I'll also see if some local fabricators I've used before are still
there, just in case.

Thanks to all for the advice.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher writes:

Bill wrote:
My local friendly trailer man can do the welding but isn't
happy about making the 2" hole in the 1/4" steel plate.

Isn't a 2" hole in 1/4" steel plate exactly the sort of
thing a hypersonic depleted uranium round is supposed to
make?

Easier to get the hole in the right place like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fce0vxVR4oo

--
Jón Fairbairn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 8:37 pm, Bill wrote:

My local friendly trailer man can do the welding but isn't happy about
making the 2" hole in the 1/4" steel plate.

I'd just use a 2" twist drill. First I'd drill a pilot hole!