Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Victorian cast-iron fireplaces.

Just removed a Victorian cast-iron fireplace from one of the bedrooms in my
son's house. Is there any real market in these things - or is a scrap metal
merchants the best place to recover a few quid?

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ret. wrote:
Just removed a Victorian cast-iron fireplace from one of the bedrooms in
my son's house. Is there any real market in these things - or is a scrap
metal merchants the best place to recover a few quid?

There is a real market. I sold one for 75 quid. Clean it up, ebay it and
say 'collection only'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Architectural salvage it's called not scrap metal. Heh Heh!
Definately worth a few bob these days. Look in yellow pages for above.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2011 13:48, Ret. wrote:
Just removed a Victorian cast-iron fireplace from one of the bedrooms in
my son's house. Is there any real market in these things - or is a scrap
metal merchants the best place to recover a few quid?

Look on Ebay for something similar, to find the asking price. If you
look for completed sales, you'll see how much they actually fetched.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Ret. wrote:
Just removed a Victorian cast-iron fireplace from one of the
bedrooms in my son's house. Is there any real market in these things
- or is a scrap metal merchants the best place to recover a few quid?

There is a real market. I sold one for 75 quid. Clean it up, ebay it
and say 'collection only'

Thanks for everyone's responses. Very helpful.

--
Kev
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 14/05/2011 13:48, Ret. wrote:
Just removed a Victorian cast-iron fireplace from one of the
bedrooms in my son's house. Is there any real market in these things
- or is a scrap metal merchants the best place to recover a few quid?

Look on Ebay for something similar, to find the asking price. If you
look for completed sales, you'll see how much they actually fetched.

I will do that. Thanks.

Kev
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 May 2011 21:18:28 +0100, "Ret."
wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
On 14/05/2011 13:48, Ret. wrote:
Just removed a Victorian cast-iron fireplace from one of the
bedrooms in my son's house. Is there any real market in these things
- or is a scrap metal merchants the best place to recover a few quid?

Look on Ebay for something similar, to find the asking price. If you
look for completed sales, you'll see how much they actually fetched.

I will do that. Thanks.

To get the best price you might have to flog it to the luvvies
somewhere in the Arty-Farty effete South.

Archway RD. , Highgate, somewhere like that.

Once, heading for the M1 whilst waiting at traffic lights somewhere
there I noticed an antique shop that apparently made a living selling
Flat - Irons.

Can't understand it we've had the electric here for ages.

Derek G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 10:01*pm, Derek Geldard wrote:

To get the best price you might have to flog it to the luvvies
somewhere in the Arty-Farty effete South.

Archway RD. , Highgate, somewhere like that.

Once, heading for the M1 whilst *waiting at traffic lights somewhere
there I noticed an antique shop that apparently made a living selling
Flat - Irons.

Their main use these days is for branding northern servants, as they
are increasingly of some modest value for some reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bolted wrote:
On May 14, 10:01 pm, Derek Geldard wrote:

To get the best price you might have to flog it to the luvvies
somewhere in the Arty-Farty effete South.

Archway RD. , Highgate, somewhere like that.

Once, heading for the M1 whilst waiting at traffic lights somewhere
there I noticed an antique shop that apparently made a living selling
Flat - Irons.

Their main use these days is for branding northern servants, as they
are increasingly of some modest value for some reason.

They are the best way to stop bacon curling up on the griddle, so your
bacon butty is nice and easy to munch.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.