Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lifetime of a fridge freezer?

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

In my experience old fridges used to last approx 20yrs or so.
When doing the rounds looking for a new fridge, most salesmen thought
that the short lifetime of modern fridges was due to the new gas that
they use these day to replace the CFCs that were supposed to degrade the
ozone layer.

Is it true that the new refrigerant is responsible, or is it a
manufacturers' excuse to make and sell more refrigerators?
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2011 09:18, Donwill wrote:
Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was more
reliable. Ha-ha.

In my experience old fridges used to last approx 20yrs or so.
When doing the rounds looking for a new fridge, most salesmen thought
that the short lifetime of modern fridges was due to the new gas that
they use these day to replace the CFCs that were supposed to degrade the
ozone layer.

Is it true that the new refrigerant is responsible, or is it a
manufacturers' excuse to make and sell more refrigerators?
Don

According to BOC, their replacement gases actually improve compressor
reliability and life. I suspect the real reason is twofold: Everything
is built down to a price and it is not in the manufacturers' interest
for anything to last too long - it reduces sales if they do.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:18:44 +0100, Donwill wrote:

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

I thought Miel had quite long duration guarantees/warranties as
standard, 10 years? Or a good and reasonably priced repair network.

In my experience old fridges used to last approx 20yrs or so.

Yep, that is what I would expect. Hotpoint FF here is 10 years old,
the Electrolux upright freezer similar and an indesit ordinary fridge
older again, maybe 15.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:18:44 +0100, Donwill wrote:

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

I thought Miel had quite long duration guarantees/warranties as
standard, 10 years? Or a good and reasonably priced repair network.

AFAIK, Miele don't make the fridges that have their brand name on them. I am
a great fan of their washing machines, but I am not sure that you are
getting the same build quality with their fridges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable.

Miele fridges were rated 90% for reliability by Which (the best being
Siemens at 95%) but their 'aftercare' was rated top of the list. Did you
enquire about the possibility of repair rather than replacement?

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gard...e/reliability/

Is it true that the new refrigerant is responsible, or is it a
manufacturers' excuse to make and sell more refrigerators?

Modern frost-free fridges and freezers do have more to go wrong than
traditional designs (e.g. they usually have a fan).

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 9:18*am, Donwill wrote:
Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. *I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

* *In my experience old fridges used to last approx 20yrs or so.
* When doing the rounds looking for a new fridge, most salesmen thought
that the short lifetime of modern fridges was due to the new gas that
they use these day to replace the CFCs that were supposed to degrade the
ozone layer.

Is it true that the new refrigerant is responsible, or is it a
manufacturers' excuse to make and sell more refrigerators?
Don

You only got a 5 year warranty on your Miele?

I got 10 years on my Miele washing machine. Had a service call-out
with the digital display not working - prefect service - and the chap
also repaired some accidental damage I owned up to, also free of
charge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2011 11:16, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:18:44 +0100, Donwill wrote:

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

I thought Miel had quite long duration guarantees/warranties as
standard, 10 years? Or a good and reasonably priced repair network.

In my experience old fridges used to last approx 20yrs or so.

Yep, that is what I would expect. Hotpoint FF here is 10 years old,
the Electrolux upright freezer similar and an indesit ordinary fridge
older again, maybe 15.

I thought Miel were prettygood on reliability when I purchased it but I
saw some reviews recently which changed my opinion.
http://www.recommendedbuys.co.uk/hou...fn-8452-sd.htm
This is the same model as I had.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 13/05/11 11:33, GB wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:18:44 +0100, Donwill wrote:

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

I thought Miel had quite long duration guarantees/warranties as
standard, 10 years? Or a good and reasonably priced repair network.

AFAIK, Miele don't make the fridges that have their brand name on them. I am
a great fan of their washing machines, but I am not sure that you are
getting the same build quality with their fridges.

Miele fridges are made by Liebherr. Mine is now 5 years old and seems as
good as new.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 11:33*am, "GB" wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:18:44 +0100, Donwill wrote:

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. *I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

I thought Miel had quite long duration guarantees/warranties as
standard, 10 years? Or a good and reasonably priced repair network.

AFAIK, Miele don't make the fridges that have their brand name on them.

Obviously not these rhen http://www.miele.co.uk/products/Prod...?range=Fridges

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2011 12:33, djc wrote:
On 13/05/11 11:33, GB wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:18:44 +0100, Donwill wrote:

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

I thought Miel had quite long duration guarantees/warranties as
standard, 10 years? Or a good and reasonably priced repair network.

AFAIK, Miele don't make the fridges that have their brand name on them. I am
a great fan of their washing machines, but I am not sure that you are
getting the same build quality with their fridges.

Miele fridges are made by Liebherr. Mine is now 5 years old and seems as
good as new.

So was mine 3 days ago. :-(
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 9:18*am, Donwill wrote:
Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. *I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

* *In my experience old fridges used to last approx 20yrs or so.
* When doing the rounds looking for a new fridge, most salesmen thought
that the short lifetime of modern fridges was due to the new gas that
they use these day to replace the CFCs that were supposed to degrade the
ozone layer.

Is it true that the new refrigerant is responsible, or is it a
manufacturers' excuse to make and sell more refrigerators?
Don

Most fridges/freezers should manage 20-30 years, even cheap ones,
though not all do. Frost frees are another matter, with high failure
rates.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:18:44 +0100, Donwill wrote:

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

I thought Miel had quite long duration guarantees/warranties as
standard, 10 years? Or a good and reasonably priced repair network.

AFAIK, Miele don't make the fridges that have their brand name on them. I am
a great fan of their washing machines, but I am not sure that you are
getting the same build quality with their fridges.

indeed. Try liebherr for a reasonably upmarket and well made brand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 12:33*pm, djc wrote:
Miele fridges are made by Liebherr. Mine is now 5 years old and seems as
good as new.

Ditto but ours died within 2/3 years, was regassed and had a new
compressor fitted - which Miele tried to charge nearly £400 for but
eventually swallowed. It then died again 18 months later.

The engineer confirmed that Miele fridges/freezers are made by
Leibherr.

I now have a Gaggenau and that is just as ****. It's just a re-badged
Maytag (crude American engineering). 18 months old, and getting very
noisy. The air-flow flap from the freezer compartment to the fridge
freezes up about once a month (condensation turns to ice and freezes
flap open, temperature heads south).

I have probably just had bad luck with Friday afternoon machines but
not impressed with either brand (for fridge/freezers) based on my very
small sample size.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 1:33*pm, Tabby wrote:

Most fridges/freezers should manage 20-30 years, even cheap ones,
though not all do. Frost frees are another matter, with high failure
rates.

NT

Agreed, my 'Bejam' upright freezer purchased in 1990 is still going
strong despite 3 house moves in the intervening years (although the
internal shelving is falling to bits), the chest freezer is 'Lec' IIRC
and in its 11th year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"airsmoothed" wrote in message
On May 13, 1:33 pm, Tabby wrote:

Most fridges/freezers should manage 20-30 years, even cheap ones,
though not all do. Frost frees are another matter, with high failure
rates.

NT

Agreed, my 'Bejam' upright freezer purchased in 1990 is still going
strong despite 3 house moves in the intervening years (although the
internal shelving is falling to bits), the chest freezer is 'Lec' IIRC
and in its 11th year.

We have an old Electra upright FF which is still going strong after 20
years - although the finish on the doors is starting to look a bit tatty ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 May 2011 06:14:14 -0700 (PDT), Bolted wrote:

The air-flow flap from the freezer compartment to the fridge freezes up
about once a month (condensation turns to ice and freezes flap open,
temperature heads south).

I have probably just had bad luck with Friday afternoon machines ...

Naw, just made the mistake of choosing a frost free type. Far to much
to go wrong with a frost free...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 8:14*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 06:14:14 -0700 (PDT), Bolted wrote:
The air-flow flap from the freezer compartment to the fridge freezes up
about once a month (condensation turns to ice and freezes flap open,
temperature heads south).

I have probably just had bad luck with Friday afternoon machines ...

Naw, just made the mistake of choosing a frost free type. Far to much
to go wrong with a frost free...

True for the present one, although that's got nothing to do with the
irritating flaw above.

Not true for the Miele.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 12:33*pm, djc wrote:
On 13/05/11 11:33, GB wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 09:18:44 +0100, Donwill wrote:

Just purchased a new one to replace the old Miel which only lasted
approx 5yrs. *I purchased a Miel because I mistakenly thought it was
more reliable. Ha-ha.

I thought Miel had quite long duration guarantees/warranties as
standard, 10 years? Or a good and reasonably priced repair network.

AFAIK, Miele don't make the fridges that have their brand name on them. I am
a great fan of their washing machines, but I am not sure that you are
getting the same build quality with their fridges.

Miele fridges are made by Liebherr. Mine is now 5 years old and seems as
good as new.

--
djc

Miele did go through a period of rebadging Bosch. one of which I was
unfortunate to purchase 4 years ago
These apparantly suffered lots of sensor failures and ours broke its
hinge which dropped the door on one off my kids ( did not hurt him),
and then lost its gas inside the foam filling

However AUIU Miele now only sell Liebher now and the mone we have got
looks far better constructed.
I imagine they dropped Bosch when they discovered their Fridge
freezers have a 3 year life as our previous Bosch did and it was in
serious danger of wrecking their reputation
which serves Bosch right.
in their fridge freezer falling to bits after 3 years
so we bought a Miele not knowing it was a rebadged Bosch

Miele could not fix this rebadged 4 year old Bosch under warranty so
replaced it with a Liebher with 2 years Warranty and took the old
crappy one away

I iamgine it will live for at least 10 years

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 6:23*pm, Theo Markettos
wrote:

Is there a particular reason to buy Miele over the original Liebherr? *eg
that Liebherr don't sell in the UK? *Or are you paying extra just for the
badge?

There's not actually that much in it, like for like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a chest freezer which is over 30 years old and working perfectly and an upright fridge which is 28 years old - still going strong except had to get the sealing round the door replaced

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I have a chest freezer which is over 30 years old and working perfectly and
an upright fridge which is 28 years old - still going strong except had to
get the sealing round the door replaced

I once put a 32 year old compressor into our old larder fridge, it was still
working when I skipped it 5 years later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Plusnet wrote:

Really cheap appliances?
Or really expensive electricity?

Just really inefficient old appliance

http://www.t2c.org.uk/saving-energy/electricity-usage/

30 y/o FF approx £160/year to run

Currys A+ fridge freezer from £129 claims 183kWh/year about £25/year

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:

Really cheap appliances?
Or really expensive electricity?

Just really inefficient old appliance

http://www.t2c.org.uk/saving-energy/electricity-usage/

30 y/o FF approx £160/year to run

Currys A+ fridge freezer from £129 claims 183kWh/year about £25/year

I don't doubt the general idea, but the website you quote also gives the
running costs (2010) for an A++ fridge-freezer as £27/year.
Yet an A+ freezer costs only £25/year at 2015 prices...

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 April 2015 21:06:40 UTC+1, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:

Really cheap appliances?
Or really expensive electricity?

Just really inefficient old appliance

http://www.t2c.org.uk/saving-energy/electricity-usage/

30 y/o FF approx £160/year to run

Currys A+ fridge freezer from £129 claims 183kWh/year about £25/year

I don't doubt the general idea, but the website you quote also gives the
running costs (2010) for an A++ fridge-freezer as £27/year.
Yet an A+ freezer costs only £25/year at 2015 prices...

To cost £160 the old fridge would need to consume about 160 watts 24/7/365, or about 600w 25% of the time. IOW their figures are garbage.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

I have a chest freezer which is over 30 years old and working
perfectly and an upright fridge which is 28 years old - still going
strong except had to get the sealing round the door replaced

I've got a fridge which is much older than that that still works fine.

I don't use it anymore because the insulation is nowhere near as good
as you get with a modern fridge and I got sick of manually defrosting
it and went with a decent modern frost free much bigger fridge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:

Really cheap appliances?
Or really expensive electricity?

Just really inefficient old appliance

http://www.t2c.org.uk/saving-energy/electricity-usage/

30 y/o FF approx £160/year to run

Currys A+ fridge freezer from £129 claims 183kWh/year about £25/year

I don't doubt the general idea, but the website you quote also gives the
running costs (2010) for an A++ fridge-freezer as £27/year.
Yet an A+ freezer costs only £25/year at 2015 prices...

To cost £160 the old fridge would need to consume about 160 watts 24/7/365, or about 600w 25% of the time. IOW their figures are garbage.

Perhaps they took the worst possible case - found a fridge-freezer where
the insulation had broken down & the door seals were hanging off - and
implied that was a typical result.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 07:11:15 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote

I have a chest freezer which is over 30 years old and working
perfectly and an upright fridge which is 28 years old - still going
strong except had to get the sealing round the door replaced

I've got a fridge which is much older than that that still works fine.

I don't use it anymore because the insulation is nowhere near as good
as you get with a modern fridge and I got sick of manually defrosting
it and went with a decent modern frost free much bigger fridge.

It needs to be bigger to offset the loss of capacity due to the higher
volume of insulation.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 07:11:15 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote

I have a chest freezer which is over 30 years old and working
perfectly and an upright fridge which is 28 years old - still going
strong except had to get the sealing round the door replaced

I've got a fridge which is much older than that that still works fine.

I don't use it anymore because the insulation is nowhere near as good
as you get with a modern fridge and I got sick of manually defrosting
it and went with a decent modern frost free much bigger fridge.

It needs to be bigger to offset the loss of capacity due to the higher
volume of insulation.

Nar, its MUCH bigger inside, one of a fridge/freezer pair, both
are the largest buyable, and it still does run out of space anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

Gloworm central heating boiler that was here when we moved here in
1977 still going strong.

I have a pair of legs that were used for climbing ladders to install TV
aerials from 1971 to last year. They are still in working order but the
joints need lubrication, and apparently they are sealed units.

On the other hand I have an organ that was only erected on a regular
basis from 1967 to about 1990, after which usage diminished slowly to
nothing. It is now completely worn out.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

Sam Plusnet wrote:

Really cheap appliances?
Or really expensive electricity?

Just really inefficient old appliance

http://www.t2c.org.uk/saving-energy/electricity-usage/

30 y/o FF approx £160/year to run

Currys A+ fridge freezer from £129 claims 183kWh/year about £25/year

I don't doubt the general idea, but the website you quote also gives the
running costs (2010) for an A++ fridge-freezer as £27/year.
Yet an A+ freezer costs only £25/year at 2015 prices...

To cost £160 the old fridge would need to consume about 160 watts 24/7/365, or about 600w 25% of the time. IOW their figures are garbage.

Perhaps they took the worst possible case - found a fridge-freezer where
the insulation had broken down & the door seals were hanging off - and
implied that was a typical result.

They must be using a very broken 160w machine that runs constantly. The problem with that is its knackered, not that its old.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frost free or normal?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
I have a chest freezer which is over 30 years old and working perfectly and
an upright fridge which is 28 years old - still going strong except had to
get the sealing round the door replaced

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 10 April 2015 04:44:30 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On the other hand I have an organ that was only erected on a regular
basis from 1967 to about 1990, after which usage diminished slowly to
nothing. It is now completely worn out.

That's what happens to organs when you pull out all the stops too often, especially if the blower's past it.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Plusnet wrote:

Really cheap appliances?
Or really expensive electricity?

Just really inefficient old appliance

http://www.t2c.org.uk/saving-energy/electricity-usage/

30 y/o FF approx £160/year to run

Currys A+ fridge freezer from £129 claims 183kWh/year about £25/year

I don't doubt the general idea, but the website you quote also gives the
running costs (2010) for an A++ fridge-freezer as £27/year.
Yet an A+ freezer costs only £25/year at 2015 prices...

To cost £160 the old fridge would need to consume about 160 watts 24/7/365,
or about 600w 25% of the time. IOW their figures are garbage.

These old fridge/freezers had glass wool insulation.
It used to fill up with water & become useless. (Interstitial condensation)
So I can just about believe it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Plusnet wrote:

Really cheap appliances?
Or really expensive electricity?

Just really inefficient old appliance

http://www.t2c.org.uk/saving-energy/electricity-usage/

30 y/o FF approx £160/year to run

Currys A+ fridge freezer from £129 claims 183kWh/year about £25/year

I don't doubt the general idea, but the website you quote also gives the
running costs (2010) for an A++ fridge-freezer as £27/year.
Yet an A+ freezer costs only £25/year at 2015 prices...

To cost £160 the old fridge would need to consume about 160 watts
24/7/365, or about 600w 25% of the time. IOW their figures are garbage.

These old fridge/freezers had glass wool insulation.

Yes.

It used to fill up with water & become useless. (Interstitial
condensation)

Nope, mine hasn’t.

So I can just about believe it.

More fool you.