Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet Overflow - inside bathroom

1970's ex. council house. Bathroom is entirely inside, with no exterior
walls. Have just revealed some hidden pipework to find that the existing WC
has an overflow that runs under the bath and emerges in a cupboard in the
adjacent bedroom. Fortunately there has never been a problem.

I am about to replace said WC. What is the best way to plumb this given
that there is no easy access to an outside wall? Best I have found so far
is a tundish and presumably a U bend into the soil pipe. New WC has
already been purchased as part of a suite so there is no option of
replacing with a WC that will overflow down the pan.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
1970's ex. council house. Bathroom is entirely inside, with no exterior
walls. Have just revealed some hidden pipework to find that the existing WC
has an overflow that runs under the bath and emerges in a cupboard in the
adjacent bedroom. Fortunately there has never been a problem.

I am about to replace said WC. What is the best way to plumb this given
that there is no easy access to an outside wall? Best I have found so far
is a tundish and presumably a U bend into the soil pipe. New WC has
already been purchased as part of a suite so there is no option of
replacing with a WC that will overflow down the pan.

I've seen cistern overfows arranged to discharge over the bath.in
similar circumstances. Not very pretty, but you do get a visual warning
of a fault.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 May 2011 09:46:43 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
1970's ex. council house. Bathroom is entirely inside, with no exterior
walls. Have just revealed some hidden pipework to find that the
existing WC has an overflow that runs under the bath and emerges in a
cupboard in the adjacent bedroom. Fortunately there has never been a
problem.

I am about to replace said WC. What is the best way to plumb this given
that there is no easy access to an outside wall? Best I have found so
far is a tundish and presumably a U bend into the soil pipe. New WC has
already been purchased as part of a suite so there is no option of
replacing with a WC that will overflow down the pan.

I've seen cistern overfows arranged to discharge over the bath.in
similar circumstances. Not very pretty, but you do get a visual warning
of a fault.

It's a possibility but perhaps I should have said - it is separate
bathroom and toilet. But they are next door so I might be able to route it
through the adjoining wall. But as you say, not very pretty.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Andrew May wrote:
[...]

Modern cisterns now have internal overflow, as they do on the continent.
makes fitting them much easier. no big holes to drill throught the wall. etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Modern cisterns now have internal overflow, as they do on the continent.
makes fitting them much easier. no big holes to drill throught the wall.
etc

except for the even bigger hole to let the turds exit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
1970's ex. council house. Bathroom is entirely inside, with no exterior
walls. Have just revealed some hidden pipework to find that the existing
WC
has an overflow that runs under the bath and emerges in a cupboard in the
adjacent bedroom. Fortunately there has never been a problem.

I am about to replace said WC. What is the best way to plumb this given
that there is no easy access to an outside wall? Best I have found so far
is a tundish and presumably a U bend into the soil pipe. New WC has
already been purchased as part of a suite so there is no option of
replacing with a WC that will overflow down the pan.

I noticed in an office building that the overflow pipe was taken down and
into the toilet pan, The end was flattened to enter below the seat. This
gave a letterbox shaped outlet which may have restricted the flow a bit but
certainly gave warning of impending problems. One other thought. I don't
know how the overflows work that run into the pan, but it seems logical that
it is all contained in the syphon unit, so perhaps you might be able to just
substitute a replacement syphon.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 May 2011 10:21:53 +0100, Tinkerer wrote:

I noticed in an office building that the overflow pipe was taken down
and into the toilet pan, The end was flattened to enter below the
seat. This gave a letterbox shaped outlet which may have restricted
the flow a bit but certainly gave warning of impending problems. One
other thought. I don't know how the overflows work that run into the
pan, but it seems logical that it is all contained in the syphon unit,
so perhaps you might be able to just substitute a replacement syphon.

I hadn't thought that it might be a function of the syphon and not the WC.
I shall take a look this evening if I get a chance.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2011 10:21:53 +0100, Tinkerer wrote:

I noticed in an office building that the overflow pipe was taken down
and into the toilet pan, The end was flattened to enter below the
seat. This gave a letterbox shaped outlet which may have restricted
the flow a bit but certainly gave warning of impending problems. One
other thought. I don't know how the overflows work that run into the
pan, but it seems logical that it is all contained in the syphon unit,
so perhaps you might be able to just substitute a replacement syphon.

I hadn't thought that it might be a function of the syphon and not the WC.
I shall take a look this evening if I get a chance.

Andrew

Mine is integral to the siphon - I have checked! (Same problem, ladlocked
bog). The bloke in Bath Store said it was a fairly common feature these days
- as I made a point of asking before I bought.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Watts saying
something like:

(Same problem, ladlocked bog).

Pah; teenagers and their magazines.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2011 09:40, Andrew May wrote:

1970's ex. council house. Bathroom is entirely inside, with no exterior
walls. Have just revealed some hidden pipework to find that the existing WC
has an overflow that runs under the bath and emerges in a cupboard in the
adjacent bedroom. Fortunately there has never been a problem.

I am about to replace said WC. What is the best way to plumb this given
that there is no easy access to an outside wall?

If the new cistern doesn't already have one then replace the flush
mechanism with one with an internal overflow, e.g. Screwfix 20824
http://www.screwfix.com/p/opella-dual-flush-siphon/20824 if it's a
siphon type with a lever, or a variflush
http://www.opella.co.uk/flushingvalves-3.html if it's the drop valve
type with a pushbutton.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 May 2011 10:59:39 +0100, Mike Clarke wrote:

On 10/05/2011 09:40, Andrew May wrote:

1970's ex. council house. Bathroom is entirely inside, with no exterior
walls. Have just revealed some hidden pipework to find that the
existing WC has an overflow that runs under the bath and emerges in a
cupboard in the adjacent bedroom. Fortunately there has never been a
problem.

I am about to replace said WC. What is the best way to plumb this given
that there is no easy access to an outside wall?

If the new cistern doesn't already have one then replace the flush
mechanism with one with an internal overflow, e.g. Screwfix 20824
http://www.screwfix.com/p/opella-dual-flush-siphon/20824 if it's a
siphon type with a lever, or a variflush
http://www.opella.co.uk/flushingvalves-3.html if it's the drop valve
type with a pushbutton.

Thanks. That looks ideal if it does not already have one - and cheaper and
more aesthetically pleasing than a tundish.

The power of Usenet strikes again.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2011 09:40, Andrew May wrote:
1970's ex. council house. Bathroom is entirely inside, with no exterior
walls. Have just revealed some hidden pipework to find that the existing WC
has an overflow that runs under the bath and emerges in a cupboard in the
adjacent bedroom. Fortunately there has never been a problem.

I am about to replace said WC. What is the best way to plumb this given
that there is no easy access to an outside wall? Best I have found so far
is a tundish and presumably a U bend into the soil pipe. New WC has
already been purchased as part of a suite so there is no option of
replacing with a WC that will overflow down the pan.

You don't have to change the WC, just the flush mechanism. These are OK
http://www.fluidmasteruk.com/product/550073.aspx B&Q stock them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May writes:

[Cistern warning pipe into bedroom cupboard]

I am about to replace said WC. What is the best way to plumb this
given that there is no easy access to an outside wall? Best I have
found so far is a tundish and presumably a U bend into the soil
pipe. New WC has already been purchased as part of a suite so there is
no option of replacing with a WC that will overflow down the pan.

As others have said, a new toilet is likely to have an internal
overflow. But if you really did have to solve this problem, then you
might like to consider a one-way valve instead of a U-bend (trap). For
a start, you'd have to fill a trap with water at installation time.
Then, under ideal circumstances, the cistern will never overflow and the
trap might dry out (or contain nasty stagnant water). McAlpine (at
least) make a combined one-way valve and tundish-equivalent for this
purpose.

--
Mark