Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fascia wood

Hello,

I need to replace the rotten wooden fasicas on my brick walled
carport. What is best to use for this? Is timber sold as barge board
treated or is it just that any wood of a certain size is called barge
board? Would "any old wood" do, provided it was painted?

I had a quick google and from what I could see, a barge board is a
fascia on a gable end. Is that what you think? Are they pretty much
two names for the same thing?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

Hello,

I need to replace the rotten wooden fasicas on my brick walled
carport. What is best to use for this? Is timber sold as barge board
treated or is it just that any wood of a certain size is called barge
board? Would "any old wood" do, provided it was painted?

I had a quick google and from what I could see, a barge board is a
fascia on a gable end. Is that what you think? Are they pretty much
two names for the same thing?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I'm considering cedar, or a modern "cedar-alike" for my gutter boards. Needs
no treatment and lasts for ages. I had a price from the local "proper" wood
merchants and it was comparable with uPVC mock wood finish (ie more than
white, but not as dear as you'd think).

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Tim Watts wrote :
Stephen wrote:

Hello,

I need to replace the rotten wooden fasicas on my brick walled
carport. What is best to use for this? Is timber sold as barge board
treated or is it just that any wood of a certain size is called barge
board? Would "any old wood" do, provided it was painted?

I had a quick google and from what I could see, a barge board is a
fascia on a gable end. Is that what you think? Are they pretty much
two names for the same thing?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I'm considering cedar, or a modern "cedar-alike" for my gutter boards. Needs
no treatment and lasts for ages. I had a price from the local "proper" wood
merchants and it was comparable with uPVC mock wood finish (ie more than
white, but not as dear as you'd think).

I would just use uPVC, unless there is a good reason not to. It will
then last forever.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

[...]

Me or the OP?

I was considering uPVC but I decided I want stuff I can fix to in ad-hoc
positions, eg hooks for hanging plants, watering tubes for the same.
Wood wins on this cound and such holes can also be made good again, unlike
uPVC.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 7, 12:40*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
Stephen wrote:
[...]

Bargeboard fits at the end of a gable on a pitched roof. A fascia
board fit at the eave either on a pitched or flat roof. PAR timber is
ok but you will have to paint every 5 years to keep it in good
condition, PVC no maintenance but white does tend to show the dirt and
needs cleaning regular. Try a mahogany finish PVC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 7, 12:28*pm, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I need to replace the rotten wooden fasicas on my brick walled
carport. What is best to use for this? Is timber sold as barge board
treated or is it just that any wood of a certain size is called barge
board? Would "any old wood" do, provided it was painted?

I had a quick google and from what I could see, a barge board is a
fascia on a gable end. Is that what you think? Are they pretty much
two names for the same thing?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Roof of my extension, I used 6x1" treated softwood covered with an L-
shaped PVC extrusion with a fancy ogee profile on the bottom corner.
The hollow PVC fascias seemed a bit feeble from a structural point of
view.
You could fix things through the PCV into the timber if you wanted,
but cannot patch like with timber or course.
On this roof there is a largish overhang, and I'd fix into the back of
the bargeboard for hanging baskets etc. if required.
Simon.

Aluminum fascia ls02 Home Repair 9 January 15th 11 08:18 PM
New fascia - cost? Nitro® UK diy 5 July 24th 10 02:00 PM
Fascia venting (again) Tim Watts UK diy 4 May 28th 10 11:03 PM
Installing vinyl Soffit and fascia over existing wood ok? theedudenator Home Repair 5 March 12th 09 11:53 PM
Fascia Mania tonytony Home Repair 1 April 26th 05 12:02 AM