Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

Default Optical character reader software?.

Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Cheers....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news

Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Cheers....
--
Tony Sayer

I've used FreeOCR :

http://www.paperfile.net/

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

In message , tony sayer
writes

Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Cheers....

I don't know about 'recommend', but a quick Google on 'ocr freeware'
comes up with quite a few possibles (in case no one comes up with a good
suggestion).

The subject of OCR freeware used to be discussed from time to time in
the alt.comp.freeware NG. I got the impression that nobody found
anything as good as the payware programs. However, a look at the
alt.comp.freeware archives might be useful. I haven't bothered to try
any of the OCR freeware myself, as I once lashed out on ABBYY OCR (cost
£60!!!).
--
Ian
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

On May 6, 10:29*pm, tony sayer wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Cheers....
--
Tony Sayer

Google Docs is supposed to do OCR now - just upload an image or a pdf
and it'll convert it for you. I've not tried it so can't vouch for
it's accuracy but it's free and easy to try.

Tony
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

on 06/05/2011, John Rumm supposed :
On 06/05/2011 22:29, tony sayer wrote:

Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Abbey FineReader Pro is very good (but not free)

I agree - a copy of it was included with a combination
fax/printer/scanner I bought a while ago.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

On May 6, 10:29 pm, tony sayer wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

http://www.free-document-management-software.com/

maybe?
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

tony sayer wrote:
Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Cheers....

I use ABBY Fine Reader which came free with the Mustek 1200 UB Plus
flatbed scanner; runs in Win98Se and Win2K.
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , tony sayer
writes

Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Cheers....

I don't know about 'recommend', but a quick Google on 'ocr freeware'
comes up with quite a few possibles (in case no one comes up with a good
suggestion).

The subject of OCR freeware used to be discussed from time to time in
the alt.comp.freeware NG. I got the impression that nobody found
anything as good as the payware programs. However, a look at the
alt.comp.freeware archives might be useful. I haven't bothered to try
any of the OCR freeware myself, as I once lashed out on ABBYY OCR (cost
£60!!!).

I use ABBY and find it to be rather decent; did you have a problem
with it?
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

In message , Robert
Baer writes

I use ABBY and find it to be rather decent; did you have a problem
with it?

Not really. It's pretty good - once you get the hang of it.
To be honest, I haven't really used it all that much, and I'm sure I
have not explored its full potential.

I started with V4, which was a freebie with a computer magazine. It
worked OK, but couldn't accept a PDF as an input file. V6 and later can.

I think I first had V6 as a free trial download which, much to the
consternation of one of my works colleagues, would accept a protected
PDF, and effectively allow you to save it to an unprotected file. When
the free trial expired, I downloaded the V6 pay-for version (which I
still have), but found that they had removed the 'unprotect-a-PDF'
function (not that it affected me).

For a scanned document, it says it requires at least 300dpi. However,
after a bit of titivating, I've successfully OCRed an existing image of
an old WW2 document, where it was only 150dpi.

ABBYY still keep sending me suggestions that I should upgrade to the
latest version, but it's not free. It's at a 'special discount price' of
around £50, so I'll be sticking with V6.
--
Ian
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

In article , Andrew Holme
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news

Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Cheers....
--
Tony Sayer

I've used FreeOCR :

http://www.paperfile.net/

Yep tried that, doesn't run with WIN 2000 Simple OCR does tried that Job
done!.,.

Thanks to all who replied. By mail as well as via news, seems that the
Abbvy one is very good for more demanding applications FWIW..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

On Fri, 6 May 2011 22:29:03 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Recent versions of Windows or Office (not sure which) have OCR built
in. It's very basic and doesn't retain formatting but might be ok for
light use.
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer

On 06/05/2011 23:33, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/05/2011 22:29, tony sayer wrote:

Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Abbey FineReader Pro is very good (but not free)

Mine was! I use the version that came on the cover disc of PCPlus
magazine - but that was a few years ago (2002, I think) so you'll
probably not find that!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
km km is offline

wrote:

Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Cheers....

Have you had another look at your scanner installation CD?

In the past it was quite common to include a "lite" version of OCR
software. If you have the CD from a previous scanner it may be worth
checking, although there is the possibility that the software is
tied-in to the scanner model it was supplied with.

km
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , km ?@?.?
scribeth thus
wrote:

Can anyone recommend an OCR package that works with olde WIN 2000 thats
either not too expensive or possibly free;?..

Cheers....

Have you had another look at your scanner installation CD?

In the past it was quite common to include a "lite" version of OCR
software. If you have the CD from a previous scanner it may be worth
checking, although there is the possibility that the software is
tied-in to the scanner model it was supplied with.

km

Thanks but that one, an early Canon, didn't have that but I've now been
using Simple OCR which has done the job fine...
--
Tony Sayer