Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Urn repaired, but what have I missed?

Our electric urn failed, and the reason was that in the lead to the element
there was an electrical component that looked a bit like a large diode. "Tf
128 deg C D125 POPH" it said, which I took to be some sort of overheat
protection, but there's a separate overheat thingy incorporated in the
element. Anyway, I soldered some wire to bridge round it and it's all
working, but anyone know what that does?

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't, it
turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
Our electric urn failed, and the reason was that in the lead to the
element there was an electrical component that looked a bit like a large
diode. "Tf 128 deg C D125 POPH" it said, which I took to be some sort of
overheat protection, but there's a separate overheat thingy incorporated
in the element. Anyway, I soldered some wire to bridge round it and it's
all working, but anyone know what that does?

--

Google him say it is a thermal cut out

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
writes
Our electric urn failed, and the reason was that in the lead to the element
there was an electrical component that looked a bit like a large diode. "Tf
128 deg C D125 POPH" it said, which I took to be some sort of overheat
protection, but there's a separate overheat thingy incorporated in the
element. Anyway, I soldered some wire to bridge round it and it's all
working, but anyone know what that does?

Save your life.

It's a thermal fuse, designed to be the last defence against dangerous
overheating in the protected equipment. They don't usually fail unless
there has been a failure in the normal temperature control of the item
so using it with this bypassed would be very foolish.

A search for "thermal fuse" 128 deg C brings up loads of sources but you
should be looking for problems in the main thermostat too such as
sticking or welded contacts too.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred writes
In article , GB
writes
[...]

Sorry, forgot to say, for obvious reasons, these things can't be
soldered, they can be crimped into a loom or used with a terminal block
(with suitable temperature rating).
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , fred writes
In article , GB
writes
[...]

Fred, maybe you have overlooked the need for a few people to bypass
safety devices from time to time - it helps refine the gene pool!

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 6:58*pm, "GB" wrote:
Our electric urn failed, and the reason was that in the lead to the element
there was an electrical component that looked a bit like a large diode. "Tf
128 deg C D125 POPH" it said, which I took to be some sort of overheat
protection, but there's a separate overheat thingy incorporated in the
element. Anyway, I soldered some wire to bridge round it and it's all
working, but anyone know what that does?

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't, *it
turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Thermal fuse. Made out of tin alloy. Not seen much these days. Also
in storage heaters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB brought next idea :
Our electric urn failed, and the reason was that in the lead to the element
there was an electrical component that looked a bit like a large diode. "Tf
128 deg C D125 POPH" it said, which I took to be some sort of overheat
protection, but there's a separate overheat thingy incorporated in the
element. Anyway, I soldered some wire to bridge round it and it's all
working, but anyone know what that does?

It is a thermal fuse - it 'blows' if its temperature rises above 128C.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Minchin
writes
fred wrote:

Save your life.

Fred, maybe you have overlooked the need for a few people to bypass
safety devices from time to time - it helps refine the gene pool!

That's me, group spoilsport ;-)
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Bob Minchin wrote:

It's a thermal fuse, designed to be the last defence against
dangerous overheating in the protected equipment. They don't
usually fail unless there has been a failure in the normal
temperature control of the item so using it with this bypassed
would be very foolish. A search for "thermal fuse" 128 deg C brings up
loads of sources
but you should be looking for problems in the main thermostat too
such as sticking or welded contacts too.

Sorry, forgot to say, for obvious reasons, these things can't be
soldered, they can be crimped into a loom or used with a terminal
block (with suitable temperature rating).

Fred, maybe you have overlooked the need for a few people to bypass
safety devices from time to time - it helps refine the gene pool!

Thanks all for the advice. The thing is that it just failed in normal use.
The urn was full of water at the time. Nothing obviously wrong with the
temperature regulator. It's all going on and off quite normally. There is a
fail-safe built into the element anyway. Why would you need two?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , GB
writes
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

2 possibilities for the failu

1. The temperature of the thermal fuse is close to the operating
temperature of the unit, causing it to 'age' and fail prematurely.

2. The temperature control stuck in the 'on' position (just once, it
only needs to happen once) and the unit overheated causing the safety
device to operate. (The control may then have returned to the off
position as you wiggled the dial furiously whilst muttering , "bloody
thing, why aren't you heating up").

In either case you can change the thermal fuse and see what happens. If
it fails again then you have an obvious fault in the control that needs
to be repaired before replacing the fuse again.

You say there are 2 safety devices but what do you know? You had to ask
for a thermal fuse to be identified so how do you know that the other is
a safety device at all? Manufacturers don't put in anything that costs
extra money for the sake of it, they put it in because someone performed
a risk assessment that suggested a safety hazard existed if they didn't
fit that device and that is why it is there.

If you continue to use an item like that with the safety device bypassed
then you are putting yourself and those about you at risk and being very
foolish, don't do it.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , GB
writes
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

I went to fix a tumble drier last week. I was 100% that is was the
thermostat that had tripped. Now the customer was the sort that would not
tell you if there were other problems with the machine so I bypassed the
thermostat for a quick test. The machine worked so I removed the link and
ordered a new stat. Now the customer thinks that I am ordering parts for no
reason other than to rip her off!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

fred wrote:

2 possibilities for the failu

1. The temperature of the thermal fuse is close to the operating
temperature of the unit, causing it to 'age' and fail prematurely.

That makes sense to me.

2. The temperature control stuck in the 'on' position (just once, it
only needs to happen once) and the unit overheated causing the safety
device to operate. (The control may then have returned to the off
position as you wiggled the dial furiously whilst muttering , "bloody
thing, why aren't you heating up").

Sorry, I don't understand that. It's an urn. It can't overheat whilst it
still has water in it. The water just boils off, maintaining 100 C.

In either case you can change the thermal fuse and see what happens.

Not really, as it's crimped onto the lead. I've never been much of a dab
hand at crimping. A poor crimp would definitely be a hot spot.

If it fails again then you have an obvious fault in the control that
needs to be repaired before replacing the fuse again.

See above about not overheating.

You say there are 2 safety devices but what do you know? You had to
ask for a thermal fuse to be identified so how do you know that the
other is a safety device at all?

One of the terminals of the element is connected in series into a little
round thing, and I can see the thermal compound that leaked round the edges.
What else would it be? Besides that, the thermal fuse does not have a good
thermal connection to the element as there are a few cms of wire in between.

Manufacturers don't put in anything
that costs extra money for the sake of it, they put it in because
someone performed a risk assessment that suggested a safety hazard
existed if they didn't fit that device and that is why it is there.

Good point.

If you continue to use an item like that with the safety device
bypassed then you are putting yourself and those about you at risk
and being very foolish, don't do it.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

ARWadsworth wrote:

I went to fix a tumble drier last week. I was 100% that is was the
thermostat that had tripped. Now the customer was the sort that would
not tell you if there were other problems with the machine so I
bypassed the thermostat for a quick test. The machine worked so I
removed the link and ordered a new stat. Now the customer thinks that
I am ordering parts for no reason other than to rip her off!

Customer is always right.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

I went to fix a tumble drier last week. I was 100% that is was the
thermostat that had tripped. Now the customer was the sort that would
not tell you if there were other problems with the machine so I
bypassed the thermostat for a quick test. The machine worked so I
removed the link and ordered a new stat. Now the customer thinks that
I am ordering parts for no reason other than to rip her off!

Customer is always right.

Like **** they are. This one wants me to leave a tumble drier in a dangerous
condition to save a few quid.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

ARWadsworth wrote:
GB wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

I went to fix a tumble drier last week. I was 100% that is was the
thermostat that had tripped. Now the customer was the sort that
would not tell you if there were other problems with the machine so
I bypassed the thermostat for a quick test. The machine worked so I
removed the link and ordered a new stat. Now the customer thinks
that I am ordering parts for no reason other than to rip her off!

Customer is always right.

Like **** they are. This one wants me to leave a tumble drier in a
dangerous condition to save a few quid.

You obviously can't do that, and I was being ironical. Sorry, I should have
added a smiley. How you explain it to her is another matter.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:30:59 +0100, fred wrote:

A search for "thermal fuse" 128 deg C brings up loads of sources but you
should be looking for problems in the main thermostat too such as
sticking or welded contacts too.

Sorry, forgot to say, for obvious reasons, these things can't be
soldered, they can be crimped into a loom or used with a terminal block
(with suitable temperature rating).

I've soldered them a few times in the past, you just have to be quick
with an iron set to 400 deg C and use a damp rag to contain the heat!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
GB wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

I went to fix a tumble drier last week. I was 100% that is was the
thermostat that had tripped. Now the customer was the sort that
would not tell you if there were other problems with the machine so
I bypassed the thermostat for a quick test. The machine worked so I
removed the link and ordered a new stat. Now the customer thinks
that I am ordering parts for no reason other than to rip her off!

Customer is always right.

Like **** they are. This one wants me to leave a tumble drier in a
dangerous condition to save a few quid.

You obviously can't do that, and I was being ironical. Sorry, I
should have added a smiley.

Might have made a difference to my reply!

How you explain it to her is another
matter.

She either pays what I ask or I walk.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike writes:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:30:59 +0100, fred wrote:

A search for "thermal fuse" 128 deg C brings up loads of sources but you
should be looking for problems in the main thermostat too such as
sticking or welded contacts too.

Sorry, forgot to say, for obvious reasons, these things can't be
soldered, they can be crimped into a loom or used with a terminal block
(with suitable temperature rating).

I've soldered them a few times in the past, you just have to be quick
with an iron set to 400 deg C and use a damp rag to contain the heat!

But if you're having an attack of absent-mindedness you end up
scratching your head over the fact that the repair didn't!
And muttering unkind words about the supplier of the replacement part,
until eventually the penny drops!

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l