Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Angle grinder help required

No seriously, this is a real question. I had to use my angle grinder
one-handed today for a small job due to the following problem, and would
like to fix it before I need it for anything bigger.

The side handle on my trusty Black+Decker BL550 has broken off and
this part is not available from any of the online spares places
I've found. It's part no. 21 on the exploded diagram he
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Black--Decker-...__p-19978.aspx

It's broken because it consists of a hard plastic moulding (bakelite or
some modern equivalent!) with a bolt embedded in it, and it's broken from
stress around the bolt head. I don't fancy trying to Araldite it back
on as the contact area is small and sod's law says that this will result
in a trip to hospital to re-attach parts of my body if the glue gives way.

I can't tell bolt sizes by eye I'm afraid but the protruding stub of the
bolt is about 8mm over the threads and around 6 entire turns exposed in
the (also 8mm long) stub. Wish I'd bought that Aldi micrometer now but
was too skint, and I still am. Does anyone have suggestions, please, for
the cheapest way to get a new handle to fit ? I can wait until finances
pick up if necessary as I don't need it that often, but would still
appreciate any pointers since it's not a current spare part anyway !

Many thanks,

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Leverton wrote:
[...]

Good chance that it is M8 thread. Find a bolt to suit, cut off the head
and araldite (real mans full lead slow cure araldite NOT quick setting)
it into a wooden file handle.

Job's a good un

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:10:09 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton wrote:

I can't tell bolt sizes by eye I'm afraid but the protruding stub of the
bolt is about 8mm over the threads and around 6 entire turns exposed in
the (also 8mm long) stub.

Remove bolt from body of drill take to local tool spares place and
ask for a handle with same sized bolt.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 8:10*pm, Nick Leverton wrote:
No seriously, this is a real question.

Angle grinder!

Get another one. Then you've got two, where you can use one one-handed
and one two-handed. I mostly use single-handed anyway. The threads are
prety much standard and the handles are swappable.

If you want a better one, get a better one. If you already have a good
one, just get an Aldi cheapie as a sacrifical one for use on dusty
masonry jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:10:09 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton wrote:

I can't tell bolt sizes by eye I'm afraid but the protruding stub of the
bolt is about 8mm over the threads and around 6 entire turns exposed in
the (also 8mm long) stub.

Remove bolt from body of drill take to local tool spares place and
ask for a handle with same sized bolt.

Not a bad suggestion, but I prefer the old file handle idea (note to self:
stale NFS file-handle not the same thing at all).

Today's usage was grinding out the rivets on a so-called guaranteed
Spear+Jackson garden fork whose tines had bent under the strain of real
gardening, so as to re-use its handle on another broken fork, so there
would be a pleasing symmetry in that.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 19, 8:10*pm, Nick Leverton wrote:
No seriously, this is a real question.

Angle grinder!

Get another one. Then you've got two, where you can use one one-handed
and one two-handed. I mostly use single-handed anyway. The threads are
prety much standard and the handles are swappable.

If you want a better one, get a better one. If you already have a good
one, just get an Aldi cheapie as a sacrifical one for use on dusty
masonry jobs.

Cheers Andy, I might do when money permits, as this model has an awkward
latch-on power control which keeps going if you accidentally let go
of the bugger. No conventional trigger, you slide the thingy until it
latches to apply power, and have to press a release catch to stop it.
Are they all like that ? I don't feel comfortable using it one handed
due to that mis-feature.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Leverton gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Cheers Andy, I might do when money permits, as this model has an awkward
latch-on power control which keeps going if you accidentally let go of
the bugger. No conventional trigger, you slide the thingy until it
latches to apply power, and have to press a release catch to stop it.
Are they all like that ?

Never come across one that's quite like that sounds - default to sticky-
on - but never come across one that you can't sticky-on. (for want of a
better term)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've found. *It's part no. 21 on the exploded diagram hehttp://www.mtmc.co.uk/Black--Decker-...Grinder-Spare-...

[...]

Looks like you forgot to tell us what the problem is with attaching a
new handle. I saw the results of a disc breaking recently, the guy was
cut down to the bone by the flying debris. I would not want to use one
single handed, its not stable enough imho.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2011 20:10, Nick Leverton wrote:
No seriously, this is a real question. I had to use my angle grinder
one-handed today for a small job due to the following problem, and would
like to fix it before I need it for anything bigger.

The side handle on my trusty Black+Decker BL550 has broken off

I think you will find the threads are all standard. Check out a few
boot fairs for el cheapo angle grinders & get another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2011 21:06, Nick Leverton wrote:
In ,
Andy wrote:
On Apr 19, 8:10 pm, Nick wrote:
No seriously, this is a real question.

Angle grinder!

Get another one. Then you've got two, where you can use one one-handed
and one two-handed. I mostly use single-handed anyway. The threads are
prety much standard and the handles are swappable.

If you want a better one, get a better one. If you already have a good
one, just get an Aldi cheapie as a sacrifical one for use on dusty
masonry jobs.

Cheers Andy, I might do when money permits, as this model has an awkward
latch-on power control which keeps going if you accidentally let go
of the bugger. No conventional trigger, you slide the thingy until it
latches to apply power, and have to press a release catch to stop it.
Are they all like that ? I don't feel comfortable using it one handed
due to that mis-feature.

My 'Site'(made by Makita) has that feature, which I find surprising on
this Effin Softy obsessed age.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 11:29*pm, John Rumm wrote:

You could upgrade to an anti vibration handle - these are a bit more
resilient in the first place as well:

My Bosch (the most used) is like most of my power tools - the grip is
wrapped with 3mm neoprene Arbaflex tape for some vibration proofing.

For anti-vibration replacement handles, Metabo's (my 'best' grinder,
for steel fabrication) is much better than De Walt's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tabby wrote:

Looks like you forgot to tell us what the problem is with attaching a
new handle.

I don't have a new one, can't afford one, can't find one online anyway and
don't know the fitting size. And I'm a tight git, err a strong believer in
re-using the resources to hand. Apart from that, there isn't a problem

I saw the results of a disc breaking recently, the guy was
cut down to the bone by the flying debris. I would not want to use one
single handed, its not stable enough imho.

Exactly, hence my concern, thanks. Excuse briefness of reply, am typing
remotely on a Windows laptop at the moment ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 8:29 am, Tabby wrote:

I saw the results of a disc breaking recently, the guy was
cut down to the bone by the flying debris. I would not want to use one
single handed, its not stable enough imho.

My workshop manager asked me to use the big scary 9 inch angle grinder
to do a job. It had an enormous gyroscopic precession effect. When I
used it the grinder would twist at right angles to the force I was
applying. I got used to it but had o be very careful.

I later discovered that he never used that grinder, and was probably
hoping I would injure myself and go away for ever. I think he was
scared that I would take over his job.
He always got me to climb the high ladders as well, and never supplied
any safety gear such as goggles, leather gloves, ear muffs etc, so I
bought my own.

He died of a heart attack a while ago, and now I am doing many of his
jobs!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 1:21*am, Matty F wrote:

He died of a heart attack a while ago, and now I am doing many of his
jobs!

But; are they paying you his money?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 12:45*am, Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,

Tabby wrote:

Looks like you forgot to tell us what the problem is with attaching a
new handle.

I don't have a new one, can't afford one, can't find one online anyway and
don't know the fitting size. *And I'm a tight git, err a strong believer in
re-using the resources to hand. *Apart from that, there isn't a problem

* * * * * *I saw the results of a disc breaking recently, the guy was
cut down to the bone by the flying debris. I would not want to use one
single handed, its not stable enough imho.

Exactly, hence my concern, thanks. *Excuse briefness of reply, am typing
remotely on a Windows laptop at the moment ...

Nick

Hopefully the bolt from the old handle should be ok, and you can make
a new one form whatever you want. Hard to make suggestions without
knowing what you've got. Medium weight angle iron could be folded over
and welded, the bolt could be resinned into a wood handle etc.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 7:12 pm, 1501 wrote:
On Apr 20, 1:21 am, Matty F wrote:

He died of a heart attack a while ago, and now I am doing many of his
jobs!

But; are they paying you his money?

Both of us were volunteers. It gives us something useful to do in our
declining years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 19/04/2011 20:10, Nick Leverton wrote:
No seriously, this is a real question. I had to use my angle grinder
one-handed today for a small job due to the following problem, and would
like to fix it before I need it for anything bigger.

The side handle on my trusty Black+Decker BL550 has broken off

I think you will find the threads are all standard. Check out a few
boot fairs for el cheapo angle grinders & get another.

Top idea, I'll get the M-i-L on the job - trouble is I'll then get landed
with all sorts of other lqt as well "because it was only a pound" !
Still beggars can't be choosers

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 1:21*am, Matty F wrote:

My workshop manager asked me to use the big scary 9 inch angle grinder
to do a job. It had an enormous gyroscopic precession effect.

Yes. I really wouldn't want to use one without two hands and a side
handle.

My 9" is rarely used. It's used a fair bit as a masonry saw, but
rarely for steel. When I do use it on steel, it's mostly with a 7"
flap plastic-backed disk, which avoids the gyroscope trouble.

The other problem with 9" grinders is that they run more slowly than 4
1/2", so they keep the same edge speed. Although they have more power
and can have more of a flat disk in contact at once, for many jobs
they're only cutting at the same rate as a small grinder anyway. What
I really want is a fast 7", but these sem to be a particularly
American piece of kit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 20:06:30 +0000, Nick Leverton wrote:

this model has an awkward
latch-on power control which keeps going if you accidentally let go of
the bugger. No conventional trigger, you slide the thingy until it
latches to apply power, and have to press a release catch to stop it.
Are they all like that ?

Mine's like that, too. It does seem a bit odd - my only guess is that
they do it on the cheapy ones because the switches aren't really up to
the job of lots of momentary switching, and would quickly burn out.

re. handle, maybe ask on freecycle and see if someone has a dead grinder
with a suitable handle? That or take the remains into a DIY shop, find a
nut that fits the thread, then use that to determine the right kind of
bolt to use for a replacement handle.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Andy Dingley wrote:

The other problem with 9" grinders is that they run more slowly than 4
1/2", so they keep the same edge speed. Although they have more power
and can have more of a flat disk in contact at once, for many jobs
they're only cutting at the same rate as a small grinder anyway.

I bought a 4.5" and then found I needed a 9" to get the depth of cut. I do
love it, actually. It's my favourite tool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2011 20:10, Nick Leverton wrote:
No seriously, this is a real question. I had to use my angle grinder
one-handed today for a small job due to the following problem, and would
like to fix it before I need it for anything bigger.

The side handle on my trusty Black+Decker BL550 has broken off and
this part is not available from any of the online spares places
I've found. It's part no. 21 on the exploded diagram he
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Black--Decker-...__p-19978.aspx

SF do an anti vibration handle for £10

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-173...n-handle/88003

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 8:32*am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 19/04/2011 20:10, Nick Leverton wrote:

No seriously, this is a real question. *I had to use my angle grinder
one-handed today for a small job due to the following problem, and would
like to fix it before I need it for anything bigger.

The side handle on my trusty Black+Decker BL550 has broken off and
this part is not available from any of the online spares places
I've found. *It's part no. 21 on the exploded diagram he
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Black--Decker-...Grinder-Spare-...

SF do an anti vibration handle for £10

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-173...n-handle/88003

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Sorry Nick - as you will see from my thread on a replacement grinder,
I put one to the recycle centre two days ago - and it had the handle.
Sod's Law.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
robgraham wrote:

Sorry Nick - as you will see from my thread on a replacement grinder,
I put one to the recycle centre two days ago - and it had the handle.
Sod's Law.

Not to worry, cheers Rob, I've got plenty of ideas now to go on.
Thankyou to everyone !

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:
On Apr 19, 8:10 pm, Nick wrote:
No seriously, this is a real question.

Angle grinder!

Get another one. Then you've got two, where you can use one one-handed
and one two-handed. I mostly use single-handed anyway. The threads are
prety much standard and the handles are swappable.

If you want a better one, get a better one. If you already have a good
one, just get an Aldi cheapie as a sacrifical one for use on dusty
masonry jobs.

Cheers Andy, I might do when money permits, as this model has an awkward
latch-on power control which keeps going if you accidentally let go
of the bugger. No conventional trigger, you slide the thingy until it
latches to apply power, and have to press a release catch to stop it.
Are they all like that ? I don't feel comfortable using it one handed
due to that mis-feature.

Nick

My small one (4-1/2") simply has a sliding power switch - slide on,
slide-off. It has worried me that it wouldn't go off if I dropped it,
but on the other hand it's a lot easier to use when you don't have to
keep pressure on the switch, partucularly when working at odd angles.

SteveW